Do We Underappreciate What Our Club And Support Have Achieved In The Past 8 Years ?

tannerall

9 minutes ago, tannerall said:

If you think so (:huh:), 

Three teams in there that won a European Cup, and every one of them plays in a city which has a bigger population than Glasgow, and the financial l potential of the Premier and Championship leagues, the biggest and 5th biggest leagues in Europe, and decent investment.s

While  folk are investing multi millions in to teams like Cardiff, Leicester and Newcastle, we will  struggle too compete for decent players if we don't get Champions league success, or really serious investment. 

Please think before you post trite meaningless comments for likes, ditto @STEPPS BOY

What does the population of a city have to do with anything? 

Another way of looking at it is I was a lad during 9 in a row, I was used to Rangers being the best and winning everything. Before that, I was too young to remember anything.

Now it's been a long run of not winning anything, and that is difficult for me to take. There's no amount of progress going on in the background that will equal us lifting 55, until that happens I will struggle to be 100% positive and happy with the status of our club.

We're all human beings at the end of the day, and cannot judge absolutely everything with clarity and lack of bias.

8 minutes ago, Paulbrian11 said:

What we achieved in the previous 140 years means not winning anything for the last 9 years will be viewed as abject failure.

We once went 24 years without winning the Scottish Cup, and more recently  10 years without winning the league,

Considering at least half of our failures (if not all) in the past  8 year were due to an (unfair) exile and punishment, along with corrupt and unfair bias towards us then we have done relatively well to get back to challenging for the top again.

14 hours ago, TheFamousPigeon said:

Inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity, no matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome.

That has been the philosophy of The Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers.”

The motto of Kirkintilloch is " Ca canny but ca awa " is one my father used on many occasions and we as support need to accept that while it seems so many things are against us, we shall emerge stronger.

4 hours ago, tannerall said:

We once went 24 years without winning the Scottish Cup, and more recently  10 years without winning the league,

Considering at least half of our failures (if not all) in the past  8 year were due to an (unfair) exile and punishment, along with corrupt and unfair bias towards us then we have done relatively well to get back to challenging for the top again.

We really haven’t whatsoever. 

Constant failure after failure isn’t doing relatively well at all. 

1902 - 1910

1963 - 1974

1977 - 1988.

These are periods in which we didn't win the league for more than 1-2 seasons.

I'm sure they were equally tough in their own way.  One of these periods included watching the Bastards bring home the European trophy and I can't even imagine how sickening that would have been. Throughout those periods we must remember that we didn't get sent down to the third tier or have to claw our way back against a backdrop of swindlers, suits, or tainted systems... 

What's not being said here - we suffered a trauma. A trauma as a club, as fans, and as a family that is this entire institution. Returning to the status-quo after such a thing isn't easy and takes what we're talking about in the OP, in my opinion. It takes a different mindset to come out of this; to reframe our thinking towards winning and positivity again.

So for those calling these comments 'birthday card pish' - can I be equally certain you'd have said this to Bill Struth or Tom Vallance? Both of whom often spoke about these situations and through written word attempted to rally a change in mindset about hardship, transition and growth. 

Struth: we all know the famous speech, the words still inspire now almost a century later. Discussing the skill that would bring the club success; yet knowing that winning and failure will come and go; that it's the mindset and temper that matters throughout. 

Vallance's speeches came at dinners or anniversary meet-ups with players past; one of them being about the transition of football from an amateur passion and pursuit to that of what he deemed mercenaries for money. The 1877 Cup Final team lost to the Vale of Leven yet they met with the Vale's players for anniversary dinners, bringing along the Loving Cup; which got handed down between each player as they eventually passed. He spoke about wanting to meet them in heaven where they could play unfettered for eternity hoping to eventually beat the Vale...

... I'm sure that's all birthday card pish too? Just mere words when all that matters is the cups?

For me Rangers has always been tied into heritage, history, camaraderie and family. Winning is important and it's a standard and expectation at this club. But Rangers is the whole concept of what the philosophy and club is; the intangible part of us that we share.

Struth's understanding of that Gallant Pioneers philosophy, that early day passion and discipline of young men training in the moonlit shadows of Kinning Park to take on the famous Vale, is what he imbibed and transmitted to us via his infamous words and standards that carry on til now. It's what Vallance embodied throughout his time with the club, on and off the pitch; and what drove that camaraderie between himself and the fellow cup final players. 

It's that intangible something which is the 'birthday card pish' getting derided on here. That intangible is what makes us different. That certainly doesn't mean I'd be happy for us to be second best whilst romantically waxing lyrical about the narrational transmittance of our heritage - but winning and Rangers are more than just about cups. It's why we know when someone is a Ranger or not; why someone or something aligns with that intangible or not. We can feel it.

I await the nitpickers. Take your shots, it matters not. We all clearly have a passion for the club; that's unquestioned; and we will have a different take on it in our own way. That's fair enough.

But, I applaud our fellow fan - @tannerall for trying to bring a positive, progressive and growth mindset about this traumatic decade we've been through together. Good on you. You're getting ridden hard, but I appreciate it.

Archived