Iker Casillas

G.E.C.

Was never sure if Casillas was good or just very lucky. Perhaps he was good and lucky. He seemed to make a lot of saves where the ball just hit him without him knowing a great deal about it. Obviously it happened too often for it to be luck, but he was a very instinctive keeper, who seemed to have a knack for getting in the way rather than goalkeeping brilliance - but it's no bad trait for a goalie.

I personally do think he was overrated, but never the less had a fantastic career.

10 hours ago, Badger said:

Was never sure if Casillas was good or just very lucky. Perhaps he was good and lucky. He seemed to make a lot of saves where the ball just hit him without him knowing a great deal about it. Obviously it happened too often for it to be luck, but he was a very instinctive keeper, who seemed to have a knack for getting in the way rather than goalkeeping brilliance - but it's no bad trait for a goalie.

I personally do think he was overrated, but never the less had a fantastic career.

Positional sense mate.

Being in the right place at the right time is a wonderful thing, in goalkeeping and in life!

Not everybody ‘has it’.

17 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Buffo was helped by playing in a defensive orientated league and had a strong defence.

Casillas never really had that luxury. No question in my mind Buffon wouldnt have looked as strong playing for Real Madrid as he did in Serie A.

Casillas was outstanding at Euro 2008 and WC 2010. As important as any Spain player.

Actually underrated.

Buffon had the ridiculous knack of making so many saves look easy because of brilliant positional sense. 

The hardest part for any goalie though is to be only called into action once or twice a game, concentration is key. It is so easy for a busy goalie to look great, save after save. 

Both goalies would gave been less tested because of who they played for.

On 04/08/2020 at 13:46, Rangers_no1 said:

Buffon was helped by playing in a defensive orientated league and had a strong defence.

Casillas never really had that luxury. No question in my mind Buffon wouldnt have looked as strong playing for Real Madrid as he did in Serie A.

Casillas was outstanding at Euro 2008 and WC 2010. As important as any Spain player.

Actually 

Remember when he played for Spain most teams couldn't get the ball of them to cause any serious damage. Still a great keeper.

On 04/08/2020 at 13:16, Badger said:

Just read this and I,m a wee bit confused. You appear to be saying for most of his career he might have been lucky caus his body was always in the way when maybe it shouldn’t albeit that might have meant him conceding a goal. Now correct me if I’m wrong but is that not what goalkeepers are supposed to do? Just a thot but think I’d rather have a lucky keeper who always seemed to be in the way of a shot, luckily,  than a goalie who always seemed to be picking the ball out of the back of the net, unluckily.

Archived