Press Conference: Gerrard and Arfield

Virtuoso

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Worrying that he watched the game back and thought we did most things right other than defend at the 3 goals. He never mentioned tempo once which for me was sadly lacking. We weren't near aggressive and robust enough either.enough.

Not being patronising, but what he says in a press conference (with a range of reports he has serious contempt for) and what he says in person (or even what he thinks privately) are very different things. 

The players know.

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Not being patronising, but what he says in a press conference (with a range of reports he has serious contempt for) and what he says in person (or even what he thinks privately) are very different things. 

The players know.

Fully get that, but saying the tempo was lacking isn't controversial, he's said it before. It was lacking on Wednesday, maybe he didnt think so.

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Worrying that he watched the game back and thought we did most things right other than defend at the 3 goals. He never mentioned tempo once which for me was sadly lacking. We weren't near aggressive and robust enough either.enough.

Imo the midfield was wrong on Wed. night as we created nothing from it until late on when we were behind and the service to the forwards wasn't there either.

A bigger concern, if it is one , is that St. Mirren recognized that if you snuff out Tavernier's threat and put a forward on Goldson so he doesn't have time to make plays from the back then it nullifies any threat we have going forward.

We simply didn't adapt to this tactic and why SG and the staff never seen this earlier and react to it is a question that needs asking.

It's done and dusted now though and let's hope the lesson is learned and the problem gets figured out starting tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, Canabear said:

Imo the midfield was wrong on Wed. night as we created nothing from it until late on when we were behind and the service to the forwards wasn't there either.

A bigger concern, if it is one , is that St. Mirren recognized that if you snuff out Tavernier's threat and put a forward on Goldson so he doesn't have time to make plays from the back then it nullifies any threat we have going forward.

We simply didn't adapt to this tactic and why SG and the staff never seen this earlier and react to it is a question that needs asking.

It's done and dusted now though and let's hope the lesson is learned and the problem gets figured out starting tomorrow.

Even when they were pressing we were painfully slow getting the ball forward, numerous square and back passes to the keeper.

19 minutes ago, Canabear said:

Agree with that but I dont think at a pre match briefing hes going to admit team got their tactics spot on and beat us.

Certainly didn't seem we got most right on the night other than 3 defensive lapses. I normally get a feel from his pressers his post  match analysis is pretty honest and accurate. Not this time for me.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Agree with that but I dont think at a pre match briefing hes going to admit team got their tactics spot on and beat us.

Certainly didn't seem we got most right on the night other than 3 defensive lapses. I normally get a feel from his pressers his post  match analysis is pretty honest and accurate. Not this time for me.

What St. Mirren , and credit where it's due i guess , did right is what the bheasts tried at the paedome and it didn't work and it won't work for a lot of teams against us due to the quality of personnel being used but when it is being used and seen to be effective then we then have to have the capabilities to counteract it with a new tactic.

Another failure on the night was when the Tavernier threat was subdued we usually have the same threat on the opposite side with Barisic on the left but Bassey struggled , especially in possession , and we had zero threat down both wings as we normally do till Barisic came on and you could see them wilt a bit after that.

Also at their 3rd goal we only had one central defender on the park after Balogun got taken off and we were chasing an equalizer by then. Had we held out for extra-time there was only going to be one winner as they were blowing out of their arse at the end of the game.

Like i said earlier , it's done and we move on and learn from it.

5 hours ago, Canabear said:

We all know , we have to move on , be positive . Although i do think, losing another vital cup tie , appears to be water off a ducks back . It certainly comes across that way a little . How many times have we heard , we pick the bones , we are ready to go again . It get's a little tiring . Especially when many bears have not seen a fucking trophy worth lifting for over 9 years .

They better win tomorrow and absolutely no excuses 

3 hours ago, bornabear said:

You give fuck all away at a PC., as the saying goes, you don't wash your dirty laundry in public.

SG and SA probably went in their thinking what cunt is going to ask the most idiotic question.

True mate , that is fair point . Possibly negates my point about the lack of hurt being shown in these interviews.

We need action though , not words eh 

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

True mate , that is fair point . Possibly negates my point about the lack of hurt being shown in these interviews.

We need action though , not words eh 

Can’t really show that your hurt thigh otherwise that might be seen as a some sort of weakness, have to be strong and just hope to tomorrow we go back to what we were doing. We can show how much we’re hurting  by pumping Motherwell. 

Archived