Is Clement getting an easy ride?

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

You don't need to be fast or double up if don't give him space. Sterling would play him tight and Maeda would be aware of his presence all the time.

It won't happen, because we refuse to learn and change from the captain's mistakes in OF games. Expect Tav against Maeda with similar outcomes and we will only have ourselves to blame.

There’s more than one way of looking at it - be tight, but if the defender doesn’t win the tackle Maeda is miles clear and we’re totally exposed, or give him space and hopefully cut off the run. However, with both these options we run a real risk of having Maeda past our defence - I don’t really see either being hugely successful for us. That’s where you need support from midfield.

51 minutes ago, left winger said:

Which is one of the reasons why a midfielder or winger should track back. I don’t think we have a defender as quick as him. And Tav’s ‘starting’ position will be dictated by the manager.

You start a few yards goal side of him if a fair bit out from our goal. If the ball goes to him then you get at him on his 1st touch. If it's sent into space for him to run into then you've got a few yards on him and can get the line to obstruct his run whilst getting to the ball 1st.

That's basic defending, not complicated, what I'd expect any full back over 16 years to be able to do competently. There's no cover needed if Tav would just do this simple type of defending.

His commitment to get forward will be influenced by Clement. His positioning as a defender is wholly on him.

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You start a few yards goal side of him if a fair bit out from our goal. If the ball goes to him then you get at him on his 1st touch. If it's sent into space for him to run into then you've got a few yards on him and can get the line to obstruct his run whilst getting to the ball 1st.

That's basic defending, not complicated, what I'd expect any full back over 16 years to be able to do competently. There's no cover needed if Tav would just do this simple type of defending.

His commitment to get forward will be influenced by Clement. His positioning as a defender is wholly on him.

You're right, that's not complicated. It's far too simplistic.

And some of his play is influenced by Clement, but another part has nothing to do with Clement? That's just nonsense.

If any player continually does something and stays in the team, then the manager is happy with what he is doing.

48 minutes ago, left winger said:

You're right, that's not complicated. It's far too simplistic.

And some of his play is influenced by Clement, but another part has nothing to do with Clement? That's just nonsense.

If any player continually does something and stays in the team, then the manager is happy with what he is doing.

It's simplistic, realistic and pretty much every defender does it ffs 😁

Yes. Clement will likely tell the fullbacks whether he wants them to be primarily attacking, more defensively minded, inverted etc. I'm pretty sure he won't tell a player where to stand in relation to his man. Absurd.

There's no credible alternative for Tav given Sterling has been injured and required elsewhere. It'd also mean dropping the captain which suits me but might not be well received by the squad so avoided by the manager. There's plenty players while got regular minutes under him like Lawrence, Wright, Dessers that we don't know whether they are up his street or the best available option.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yes. Clement will likely tell the fullbacks whether he wants them to be primarily attacking, more defensively minded, inverted etc. I'm pretty sure he won't tell a player where to stand in relation to his man. Absurd.

There's no credible alternative for Tav given Sterling has been injured and required elsewhere. It'd also mean dropping the captain which suits me but might not be well received by the squad so avoided by the manager. There's plenty players while got regular minutes under him like Lawrence, Wright, Dessers that we don't know whether they are up his street or the best available option.

Of course he will. Basic stuff. 

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Do you genuinely think a manager / coach doesn’t work on where he wants his players to be positionally during different scenarios? 

I'm thinking that Tav has played under Clement plenty times and he won't be spending time telling his captain how many feet to stand from his opponent in multiple different scenarios.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'm thinking that Tav has played under Clement plenty times and he won't be spending time telling his captain how many feet to stand from his opponent in multiple different scenarios.

:lol: of course he will, containing Maeda will absolutely be something they talk about, analyse, and set Tav (and the team) up to deal with.

Pro teams do positional walks through before every game. 

3 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

:lol: of course he will, containing Maeda will absolutely be something they talk about, analyse, and set Tav (and the team) up to deal with.

Pro teams do positional walks through before every game. 

So has he done that before every OF game with Tav? How's the outcome been with that setting Tav up and positional walk through? 

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So has he done that before every OF game with Tav? How's the outcome been with that setting Tav up and positional walk through? 

Tav is still learning, give him a break 

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You’d imagine so yes, be negligent not to.

Sometimes disastrous, sometimes absolutely fine. Just because a player has been coached / asked to do something doesn’t mean they’re capable of executing it successfully every time.

Can’t be arsed arguing about it, but it’s basic stuff that happens every week at Rangers or any other decent club. 

3 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

Tav is still learning, give him a break 

5 OF games in under Clement and the gaffer is still holding his hand, walking him round the pitch, and giving him a test on where he's to be if Maeda moves to any given square metre on the pitch 

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

5 OF games in under Clement and the gaffer is still holding his hand, walking him round the pitch, and giving him a test on where he's to be if Maeda moves to any given square metre on the pitch 

Can make it sound silly if you like, but you know you’re wrong. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

You’d imagine so yes, be negligent not to.

Sometimes disastrous, sometimes absolutely fine. Just because a player has been coached / asked to do something doesn’t mean they’re capable of executing it successfully every time.

Can’t be arsed arguing about it, but it’s basic stuff that happens every week at Rangers or any other decent club. 

Nae bother Pep.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Nae bother Pep.

https://thetitansfa.com/mastering-pep-guardiola-tactic-the-key-to-football-success/#:~:text=One of Guardiola's key tactical,on and off the ball.

Can read about him if you want to stop sounding silly on the internet?

One of Guardiola’s key tactical principles is his belief in positional play. He meticulously drills his players to ensure they understand their roles and responsibilities both on and off the ball. 

3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So you think if Tav isn't where Clement thinks he should be, he isn't going to say anything? Really? That's absurd. 

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

https://thetitansfa.com/mastering-pep-guardiola-tactic-the-key-to-football-success/#:~:text=One of Guardiola's key tactical,on and off the ball.

Can read about him if you want to stop sounding silly on the internet?

One of Guardiola’s key tactical principles is his belief in positional play. He meticulously drills his players to ensure they understand their roles and responsibilities both on and off the ball. 

Show me the same for Clement, Pep 👍

4 minutes ago, left winger said:

So you think if Tav isn't where Clement thinks he should be, he isn't going to say anything? Really? That's absurd. 

It's OF game 5 under Clement. Are you saying the player doesn't know by now what's expected of him under the manager? And that the manager is still walking him round the park showing hom his startng position dependent on where Maeda is? Really? Absurd. 

6 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It's OF game 5 under Clement. Are you saying the player doesn't know by now what's expected of him under the manager? And that the manager is still walking him round the park showing hom his startng position dependent on where Maeda is? Really? Absurd. 

I'm saying Clement will tell his players what he wants them to do. That will pretty much include all aspects of their game.

If that player stays in the team, it tells us that the manager is happy with what he's doing, or there is no alternative.