Carragher sticks to guns and quits International Football

Boab

England coach Steve McClaren has failed in his attempt to persuade Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher not to retire from international football.

McClaren said of the 29-year-old: "Unfortunately Jamie stayed with the decision to not be involved with us."

His absence, along with injuries to Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate, prompted McClaren to make a concerted attempt to try to convince Carragher to reverse his decision to turn his back on his country.

Carragher, who has been capped 34 times for England, has said he does not want to be a bit-part player on the international scene.

The centre-half has been a key figure in the Liverpool side that has reached the Champions League final in two of the last three seasons.

But at international level he has found opportunities hard to come by, with Terry and Rio Ferdinand now firmly established as McClaren's first choices.

Carragher was omitted from England's last game, a Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia, and expressed his frustration at his place in the national team's pecking order.

McClaren said he would not "close the door" on Carragher returning in the future, while also admitted there is a chance Pompey defender Sol Campbell could be recalled.

The coach said Manchester City full-back Micah Richards could be used as an emergency centre-half.

Was Carragher right?

Should one always make themselves available for their country?

But was he in danger of turning into the English Scot Gemmill, as in naw getting a game but attending every squad and always being available for selection?

Should he have played, instead of JT or Rio?

Ps. I edited the story, so it was only about Carragher (tu) - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/6947786.stm

I think the article has a bit of media spin on it cause i was watching a interview with JC and he was saying he only did it so he could stay fresh for Liverpool because they play so many games.

I can see his fustrations though, playing amazing well but still cannot get a game for England.

Im not sure if he is right or wrong , i can see both arguements. But you personally i think you should drop everything to play for your country, i think aswell they shouldnt even be paid for it!!!

I've seen him play for England - he suffers the same 'itis' as Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard etc - they all play cack for their country.

i was discussing something similar to a few lads down here, they all agree these players arent as good for their country as they are for club.

I argued that maybe thats basically because their talents arent as good as the English public and media make out to be. They are apparently world beaters in their own league...but suddenly terrible at International level? Nah... I believe its because they are overrated in the first place.

I've seen him play for England - he suffers the same 'itis' as Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard etc - they all play cack for their country.

i was discussing something similar to a few lads down here, they all agree these players arent as good for their country as they are for club.

I argued that maybe thats basically because their talents arent as good as the English public and media make out to be. They are apparently world beaters in their own league...but suddenly terrible at International level? Nah... I believe its because they are overrated in the first place.

Exactly.

Take the TV/Media attention away from them and you have what are quite simply a whole load of average players (tu)

I believe its about 50% trying too hard, 30% a weak team unit and poor tactics, 20% overrated.

Lets be honest, at the international level, we aren't talking about them being turned inside out by Ronaldihno, we are talking about Lampard suddenly unable to turn and shoot at goal when we watch him week after week rattling them in. I don't think he's suddenly being thrown off by great players (he plays many of them in the EPL and CL regularly) but nerves and pressure.

My father in law who is Ukrainian but born in Argentina (yes, I know <cr> ) made an interesting point about England - "they've never had a decent attacker". Now, considering Owen and Rooney and Lineker were/are all decent but not great and are all in recent memory, that did suprise me a little but in reality that is true. A LOT of the time, they are looking for midfielders to provide the goals while Crouch etc go AWOL. You can't win tournaments when part of your team is not functioning.

I think the worst thing England suffer from is managers who try to please the press each week or who stick to their system regardless. The midfield looked like fantasy league set up, not a side that would actually gel and blend together.