*** Russia vs England*** Official thread

Boab

England coach Steve McClaren believes Russia are under more pressure than his side for Wednesday's key Euro 2008 qualifier between the two sides.

England go into the game five points ahead of Russia but having played one game more than their Group E opponents.

"I'm delighted to be in this position where it's all on Russia to have to win the game," said McClaren.

"It'll be a very big test for everybody but I'm confident we've the players to go out and complete the job."

McClaren said that he was expecting a difficult start to the fixture, which will be played on an artificial surface at the Luzhniki stadium.

"We expect them to come storming at us for the first 20 minutes or so and we're determined to defend it right and to keep a clean sheet," he added.

"You don't qualify for major tournaments in March or April, you qualify over the last few games in October or November and I always thought it would come down to this."

A draw will leave England in a strong position to qualify, but McClaren promised his side would adopt a positive strategy to ensure his side left Moscow with a victory.

"We're coming here to win the game," said the England coach.

"We look at our recent form - we're confident and we have belief.

"We beat Russia 3-0 at Wembley and we have to go in knowing we can win it."

McClaren drew parallels between the game and previous qualifying matches when England needed a positive result, firstly against Italy in Rome to reach the 1998 World Cup finals and then in Istanbul against Turkey to qualify for Euro 2004.

"We know this is one of the crunch games - and if we can get the result here we know where that can take us," said McClaren.

"We need organisation and discipline but we need inspiration and heroics.

"We need the kind of performances we've had from previous England teams in Istanbul in 2003 and Rome in 1997, and we had from the rugby team in Paris at the weekend.

"I've got great respect for Russia, but it's about what we do - our personnel and players having the discipline to do our jobs."

England have won their last five qualifying games 3-0 and Russia coach Guus Hiddink admitted he is hoping McClaren's team suffer an off day in Moscow.

"England have really proved themselves in the last few games," said Hiddink.

"We must control the game for the whole 90 minutes and to achieve that we need to find the balance between defence and attack.

"In short, we need to demonstrate all our best qualities and also hope that England won't play as well as in their recent games.

"I want my young players to play the kind of attacking football that compliments their spirit."

Story from BBC SPORT:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1545: Here are the full team line-ups:

Russia: Gabulov, Alexei Berezutsky, Ignashevich, Vasili Berezutsky, Zhirkov, Bilyaletdinov, Semshov, Zurianov, Aniukov, Arshavin, Kerzhakov. Subs: Malafeev, Torbinsky, Pogrebniak, Shirokov, Kolodin, Sychev, Pavluchenko.

England: Robinson, Richards, Ferdinand, Campbell, Lescott, Wright-Phillips, Gerrard, Barry, Cole, Rooney, Owen. Subs: James, Shorey, Luke Young, Lampard, Neville, Downing, Crouch.

This game looks really weird. It's not playing like a normal game of football.

That will be the lack of talent on display mate :pipehorse:

True. England are indeed pish.

England are very static, little movement.

Anybody think they're playing for a draw?

Am surrounded by them here at work, all fed up because they cant go home early to watch it. I did add in that it would be unfair on me, since, Scotland had the decency to kick off at a sensible time, and, they should show some commitment to the company hahaha, strangely the MD agreed :rangers: