Barry Ferguson

Danny

Back to his best?

He's had a mediocre at best season - frankly being downright abysmal at times. But in the past 3 or 4 games he's flirting with showing his old form again. The system has been changed giving him more freedom, and in his slightly more attacking role he seems to be playing like someone with a lot less weight on his shoulders.

With 2 peers beside him in midfield, he has less dirty work to do, and can concentrate on playing football rather than being an overstressed captain who tries to do too much.

It's nice to see, and even nicer to see I might have been proven wrong in saying there was a chance he was past it.

What do you guys think of his form the now?

He's put in some cracking performances but since the OF game he has been off form, at times he has been terrible but he's now beginning to get back to the Ferguson we all know and just at the right time!

I like the freedom he is having now, rather than times in the past where it looked like he has to do anything, sometimes I got the impression that he was going to go and steal the goalies top and gloves and also play in goal when our defense was under attack.

He also looks like he is enjoying himself again, and I think that's why there have been signs of improvement.

I thought he was excellent against Gretna.

I think it was you Danny who started the thread asking what we should do with the off-form Fergie. One of the options was give him a rest, and after the short break we have had at the beginning of January hopefully we now see the best of him.

IMO he was never so badly off form as some people were making out in the first place. You'd think we had Regi Blinker in midfield the way some folk were going on.

Agreed (tu) I think some of the reactions regarding Ferguson were over the top. The bar is set much higher for him because he's such an outstanding player. Yes, he was out of form, but not anything like as bad as some would have you believe.

I mean, some people cream themselves every time Hemdani goes 90 minutes in an SPL game making short passes every time and not chasing anyone that's further than 5 yards away. He's often outstanding in europe, but too often not what's required in the SPL, and I think more fans are starting to warm to Thomson fortunately.

Barry Ferguson is a class act, and if others around him actually show some decent movement off the ball for 90 minutes (that's not just work-rate, we're talking about intelligent movement that the likes of De Boer and Cannigia used to offer), then we'll see the very best of Barry. And this has improved to be fair with Naismith and Burke playing wide, I really hope we continue with this style.

Ideally, I think we'd have Hemdani OR Thomson (Thomson for me), Ferguson and then a more natural attacking midfield player (perhaps Fleck playing that role in the future). That would be the ideal balance for me, but for now, Walter is getting it right with what he has available.

IMO he was never so badly off form as some people were making out in the first place. You'd think we had Regi Blinker in midfield the way some folk were going on.

Agreed (tu) I think some of the reactions regarding Ferguson were over the top. The bar is set much higher for him because he's such an outstanding player. Yes, he was out of form, but not anything like as bad as some would have you believe.

I mean, some people cream themselves every time Hemdani goes 90 minutes in an SPL game making short passes every time and not chasing anyone that's further than 5 yards away. He's often outstanding in europe, but too often not what's required in the SPL, and I think more fans are starting to warm to Thomson fortunately.

Barry Ferguson is a class act, and if others around him actually show some decent movement off the ball for 90 minutes (that's not just work-rate, we're talking about intelligent movement that the likes of De Boer and Cannigia used to offer), then we'll see the very best of Barry. And this has improved to be fair with Naismith and Burke playing wide, I really hope we continue with this style.

Ideally, I think we'd have Hemdani OR Thomson (Thomson for me), Ferguson and then a more natural attacking midfield player (perhaps Fleck playing that role in the future). That would be the ideal balance for me, but for now, Walter is getting it right with what he has available.

Absolutly spot on, great post (tu)

I thought he was excellent against Gretna.

I think it was you Danny who started the thread asking what we should do with the off-form Fergie. One of the options was give him a rest, and after the short break we have had at the beginning of January hopefully we now see the best of him.

Good shout. Very good shout. That said, he was starting to show his form in the period before the enforced break. And hopefully, aided by the rest, he can as you say flourish again.

Is he? Buffel is being ignored according to your ideals of having said attacker in front of Barry. He's the answer to your request. But Walt ain't listening.

Danny he IS the answer to our problems..well in our opinion anyway, but i myself am resigned to the fact he will be leaving.

Well nothing yet has truly happened in that area.

Not that it matters - if it doesn't, he will remain in the reserves anyway.

This got me thinking about the Hutton scenario.

I think Barry will have had a private chat with him and said words to the effect of,"If you stay i'll step up a gear and lets me and you win this fucking league, deal?"

So hopefully the two of them will feed off each other.

Or am i full of kak?

Danny he IS the answer to our problems..well in our opinion anyway, but i myself am resigned to the fact he will be leaving.

Well nothing yet has truly happened in that area.

Not that it matters - if it doesn't, he will remain in the reserves anyway.

He wont be allowed the chance to prove himself in the first team, whether he stays or is sold. And thats the sad truth.

We agree on Cousin, Danny, but I'll need to go the opposite way with regards to Buffel to balance things out :lol:

Buffel for me is the ideal player to fulfill that role in terms of style. But he isn't the answer for me. I've seen glimpses of a class act, but no consistency. And crucially no stomach for the fight in tough SPL away games.

I would trust Buffel to put on a show at Ibrox, but away to Gretna last night, or Inverness this weekend.........sorry, I just don't see it.

I think he's become a much better player in the eyes of fans since he's been out injured. He's disappointed more often than not, and for me, he's had his chances to shine and not taken them.

If he goes, I for one will be happy to get his substantial wages off the bill and pocket the £1m or so.........

This got me thinking about the Hutton scenario.

I think Barry will have had a private chat with him and said words to the effect of,"If you stay i'll step up a gear and lets me and you win this fucking league, deal?"

So hopefully the two of them will feed off each other.

Or am i full of kak?

Full of kak! :D

More than likely he told Hutton, don't go to Spurs they are shite and you are much better than them, wait until a real team like Man U come in with a bid, who are just as good as us. :D

Good post by ScotBear.

My own thinking is that Barry was definitely playing poorly by HIS standards, but may have benefited from the break and Walter's latest formation. He has been better these past two games, but not quite back to his best. He will get there though.

When Ferguson doesn't put in displays like he has the past few games, I don't think he plays terrible. I think he just lets the game pass by. Sits in midfield passing the ball to someone 5 metres away. No killer passes or creativity.

I have noticed this changing however in the past few games. Making defence splitting passes and moving forward with the ball. Hopefully he can raise his game even further and maintain those levels of perfomance.

definetely hasnt been his best season, form has been up and down, but think he's steadily picking it up again, was great against Gretna and made the difference for me that picked up the 3 points.......

still needs to makin more of those killer FORWARD passes more lol

Absolutly spot on, great post (tu)

Agreed further :D