Opportunity Knocks

FlippinEck

JOHN FLECK is set to make his Rangers debut tonight as Rangers look to book their place in the 5th round of the Scottish Cup.

The 16-year-old has been earmarked to come on as a substitute against East Stirling making him the youngest top team player since Derek Ferguson, who was a few months younger when he played against Queen of the South in the League Cup in 1983.

Boss Walter Smith will also use the match to give much-needed match action to players who have been on the fringes and those who are coming back from suspenion and injuThomas Buffelry, like Alan Hutton and Lee McCulloch.

Smith told rangers.co.uk: "We will play some of the lads who are needing match practice to get them up and running and that's no disrespect to East Stirling.

"Needs must for us and when you have the number of games coming up that we have then we need to make sure that everybody is ready.

"John will be in our squad although he is more likely to be on the bench than starting the match.

"He is there on merit as much as anything else. He is not just there because he is a young lad with a bright future, he has been playing exceptionally well recently for the reserves and the youth team.

"So he deserves his inclusion and he looks like he is one for the future for us."

"Thomas Buffel, Kirk Broadfoot and Alan Gow will all get an opportunity to play and I think that's the right thing to do.

"The boys don't get enough games when the Reserve League shuts down and the couple of friendlies that we have tried to organise have been put off by the weather.

"So we have to make sure that we have everyone in the right shape due the schedule of games we have.

"Lee McCulloch has recovered now and he will get a game tonight. He needs it having missed a few matches now through illness and suspension.

"When you do contemplate a number of changes it's always a little be awkward for the lads coming in to settle down.

"However, we will have a professional group of players out there and hopefully we will go on and win the game."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1222725,00.html

A couple of first teamers, seems the right thing to do

Looking forward to seeing Broadfoot and Buffel too.

Dissapointed that Lee is back tho. Whats the point in Coisty saying we want a pitch to play nice football on and we bring him back!

Will be interesting to see how Buffel gets on...although most of the spotlight will be on Fleck when he comes on - I would imagine sometime in the second period (tu)

I reckon if Buffel is given enough of a chance tonight (30minutes at least) if not a starting position then he will show that he is capable of giving us the spark in midfield that we have lacked of late. I watched an Old Firm game on Rangers TV the other night, Nov'05 at Porkheid I think it was, we won 2-0 with Novo and Vignal scoring. Both Ferguson and Buffel were superb playing in a similar formation to what Smith is playing at the moment, with Ricksen as the holding midfield player. They both controlled the game and everything seemed to go through the two of them.

The question is though, if Buffel came out tonight and put in a great performance would Walter give him his chance in the starting 11 ?

I hope all the youngsters get some time on the pitch tonight.

Didn't read this full article but the one in the Evening Times WS gives Fleck a nice compliment, WS was commenting on the under 21 rule and he made it clear that Fleck gets on the bench and will play tonight on merit. Trains with the first team squad and all that.

There was also an article on Kirk Broadfoot who will probably start tonight, and he was saying that after training he receives more one on one coaching sessions with Davie Weir, also mentions that WS refused to let him go out on loan. Rangers must see something in the lad then, even though a lot of us slate him without him getting a real chance because of players like Cuellar and Weir.

Dissapointed that Lee is back tho. Whats the point in Coisty saying we want a pitch to play nice football on and we bring him back!

Yet another dig at McCulloch. McCulloch needs games as he's not played in a long time.

Yet another dig at McCulloch. McCulloch needs games as he's not played in a long time.

Naw really, I commented on the article that was there.

Will be interesting to see how Buffel gets on...although most of the spotlight will be on Fleck when he comes on - I would imagine sometime in the second period (tu)

I reckon if Buffel is given enough of a chance tonight (30minutes at least) if not a starting position then he will show that he is capable of giving us the spark in midfield that we have lacked of late. I watched an Old Firm game on Rangers TV the other night, Nov'05 at Porkheid I think it was, we won 2-0 with Novo and Vignal scoring. Both Ferguson and Buffel were superb playing in a similar formation to what Smith is playing at the moment, with Ricksen as the holding midfield player. They both controlled the game and everything seemed to go through the two of them.

The question is though, if Buffel came out tonight and put in a great performance would Walter give him his chance in the starting 11 ?

I agree! hapened to have watched that game recently and some people seem to forget how inspirational Buffel was that season when we made th last 16 of the Champions league. if he can recapture that form he is definatly worth a place in the 16. but he needs a proper chance in the side can't see walter giving it to him?? Any thoughts?

McCulloch does the job that he is asked to do, in some games his grit is more important than free flowing football we would all love to see, and he does make some telling contributions at games. I've never been a big fan of his but I respect his style of play and I respect the manager's decisions on who he plays.

As has also been said he will be lacking match practice due to the cancellation of games, injury and suspension.

Assistant manager Ally McCoist believes a new pitch will allow Rangers to play the expressive football they enjoy.

McCoist said: "We have a new pitch now so we are cutting down the excuses for the boys."

He told Rangers' official website: "Seriously, it probably wasn't the best in the last few weeks but it is going to be perfect now so the lads need to show what they can do.

"We do like to pass the ball so if we can get a better surface - which we will now have - then hopefully that will help us, starting with Wednesday's game against East Stirling."

Was referring to that, think I'd seen it in the Evening Times but got it there from Sporting Life.

I don't think many would eitherwise argue that we've played better Football since Lee has been unavailable.

I didn't fish there at all IMO.

Start off with a strong squad in the 1st half and give them 4 or 5. Then give the likes of Fleck, Gow...the whole of the 2nd.

_____GS/RC_____

AH__CC__SP__KB

____DF____BH____

NN____________LM

_____KB__TB_____

Assistant manager Ally McCoist believes a new pitch will allow Rangers to play the expressive football they enjoy.

McCoist said: "We have a new pitch now so we are cutting down the excuses for the boys."

He told Rangers' official website: "Seriously, it probably wasn't the best in the last few weeks but it is going to be perfect now so the lads need to show what they can do.

"We do like to pass the ball so if we can get a better surface - which we will now have - then hopefully that will help us, starting with Wednesday's game against East Stirling."

Was referring to that, think I'd seen it in the Evening Times but got it there from Sporting Life.

I don't think many would eitherwise argue that we've played better Football since Lee has been unavailable.

Sorry Boab but the part about Lee is rubbish in mine eyes, we've gone about 10 games unbeaten in the SPL now in some games we've played well others we've not played as well but won, and Lee has played his part in some of those games.

Sorry Boab but the part about Lee is rubbish in mine eyes, we've gone about 10 games unbeaten in the SPL now in some games we've played well others we've not played as well but won, and Lee has played his part in some of those games.

Yes, we've lots of games this season but what I meant was we've played better football without him.

For example, Easter Road and Motherwell at home.

I'd also argue that it was only better football but more effective football as a whole.

Start off with a strong squad in the 1st half and give them 4 or 5. Then give the likes of Fleck, Gow...the whole of the 2nd.

_____GS/RC_____

AH__CC__SP__KB

____DF____BH____

NN____________LM

_____KB__TB_____

One question, for the life of me I can't work out who DF is?

DF= Dean Furman mate

_____GS/RC_____

AH__CC__SP__KB

____DF____BH____

NN____________LM

_____KB__TB_____

One question, for the life of me I can't work out who DF is?

Young South African midfielder.

I'd like to see Broadfoot one half at left-back and one half at centre back.

Looked naw bad at left-back at East Fife

No chance, he is pish at LB - even against East Stirling.

Maybe so, but how do we really know.

Maybe so, but how do we really know.

Because Ive seen him in 2 pre-season friendlies and three reserve games at LB and a blind man can see he cant play there....he's only a debatable CB!