Weir hits 50!

Bazza

No, not years....

Davie Hits 50!

DAVID WEIR will make his 50th appearance in a Rangers jersey against St. Mirren tomorrow and captain Barry Ferguson believes his teammate has been an inspirational figure following his arrival from Everton in January 07.

David WeirAt the age of 37 many footballers have already hung up their boots or are playing bit part roles for their clubs but Weir's commitment and dedication has seen him become an almost ever-present for Walter Smith's side throughout the past 12 months.

Having made his debut in a 1-0 win over Dunfermline on January 21, 2007 Davie has missed only two competitive games for Rangers which is a remarkable statistic considering he was also heavily involved with the national team during this period.

And Barry has nothing but admiration for his Scotland colleague.

He said: "Big Davie has been great since he has come in and there is no doubt he is someone we all look up to.

"At the age of 37 his fitness levels are fantastic so he deserves all the credit he has been given.

"Nowadays we all try to look after ourselves in the right manner and Davie has clearly done that over the years.

"He never misses a days training and even after being away with Scotland he still wants to play in every game which is great to see."

Reaching this milestone will probably be the last thing on Davie's mind as Rangers attempt to extend their lead at the top of the table against a St. Mirren side that have won their last three outings against Hibs, Dumbarton and Motherwell.

Barry is looking forward to the game but realises that the Gus MacPherson's team will travel to Ibrox with renewed confidence.

He said: "We are looking forward to it but it will be another tough test for us. Garry Brady and Barry Ferguson

"St. Mirren have picked up in recent weeks and they will be desperate for more points.

"But we are also on a good run right now so we will be in a positive frame of mind in the lead up to the game.

"We have a chance to go seven points clear on Saturday and that puts a bit of pressure on Celtic prior to their trip to Falkirk on Sunday.

"But the most important thing for us is to concentrate on our own performances and make sure we do not slip up."

Barry watched Wednesday night's 6-0 thrashing of East Stirling from the Director's Box and was impressed with the desire shown from players such as hat-trick hero Kris Boyd.

He said: "There is a lot of guys that have been trying to get a game for a while and the cup game gave them a chance to show the manager what they can do.

Lee McCulloch celebrates with Kris Boyd"Boydy, for example, is always going to have his critics but the one thing he is always going to is put the ball in the back of the net. That is what he is good at.

"He showed that he has not lost that touch so he did well and it was important that he got on the scoresheet.

"The return of Lee (McCulloch) and Alan (Hutton) from suspension was also a bonus as was seeing wee Flecky make his debut.

"But we are through to the next round now and that is what we wanted."

Barry watched on with interest as George Burley was unveiled as the new Scotland manager yesterday at Hampden and the national team skipper is looking forward to working with the new gaffer in the future.

"I always said that the four candidates that were lined up for the job were all really good.

"Now it has been announced I look forward to meeting with him although I do not know him personally.

"I have only heard people speaking about him in passing but I have only heard good things.

"Hopefully he can continue the good work that has been started recently by Walter and Alex."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1224682,00.html

I really hope he hits back on form as he hasn't been top notch this last few games. Maybe the midweek break will bring him back revitalised.