A look at our squad depth

nvager

GK - A. McGregor, Alexander and Smith. - Good group give them an A-

Fullbacks - S. Whittaker, K Broadfoot, C. Daily, S. Papac, S. Smith - Good cover give them a B-

Centre Backs - C. Cuellar, D. Weir, A. Webster, S. Papac, K. Broadfoot, C. Daily - Good group - give them a B-

Defensive Midfielders - B. Hemdani, K. Thomson, C. Daily, B. Ferguson - Great group give them an A

Attacking Midfielders, including wingers - C. Burke, B. Ferguson, S. Davis, L. McCulloch, C. Adam, S. Naismith, N. Novo - Good group give them a B-

Strikers - D. Cousin, K. Boyd, J.C. Darcheville, S. Naismith, N. Novo, L. McCulloch - Good group give them a B-

Excludes players such as Gow, Buffel, and the younger lads as they never get to play.

Looking at the above our priorities in the Summer are Full Back, Centre Back, Attacking Midfielders and Striker.

NOTE: Daily, Webster and Davis are all on loan

That is my reading of the situation.

Is this squad good enough to win the SPL and the two Cups in Scotland - YES. Can it be much improved - YES

Interesting few months ahead for us Bears!

There is a problem at full back. 3 of the 5 you mention are cente backs filling in at full back. Only Whittaker and Smith are real full backs, and I am worried about Whittaker's consistency.

Gk's are fine, Centre backs are fine (when fit).

We do have an abundance of "holding" or just combative midfield players. What we are missing are the creative midfield players. Now we do have the best one in the country in Ferguson, but too often he is found too deep to be effective in this important role. We need proper creative cover here.

When DMB is fit again, with McCulloch Burke Adam Novo we have decent if not exceptional wide players.

As for CF, we have a goal machine and if we can find the right midfield balance, we only need to find the right partner for him.

Overall, given that it is just one year into Walter's rebuilding of PLG's disastrous squad, it is showing great progress and we should be positive about what can happen in the next couple of years as only a couple of hand-picked classy replacements are required in each window.

Guest therabbitt

Attacking Midfielders including wingers is a bit of a misnomer, they are two separate positions...

We have good wingers, we have one attacking midfielder, Steven Davis, Barry is not an attacking midfielder, Adam is not a footballer, thats it...

Also, the position looks a little less stonger if you didnt double players up into two categories.

Nonetheless, I agree with the principle, we do have a capible enough squad to win the league (treble?) this season, however we do need several players in the summer...

Attacking Midfielders including wingers is a bit of a misnomer, they are two separate positions...

We have good wingers, we have one attacking midfielder, Steven Davis, Barry is not an attacking midfielder, Adam is not a footballer, thats it...

Also, the position looks a little less stonger if you didnt double players up into two categories.

Nonetheless, I agree with the principle, we do have a capible enough squad to win the league (treble?) this season, however we do need several players in the summer...

Ok, let's be stricter and put each guy in their arguably best position:

Goalies:

AM, NA

CB:

Cuellar, Weir, Webster

FB:

Papac, Broadfoot, Whittaker, Smith

DM:

Dailly, Hemdani, Thomson

CM:

Ferguson

AM:

Davis, Buffel, Gow

Wingers:

Burke, Adam, DMB

Strikers:

Cousin, JCD, Novo, LM, Boyd

I have a horrible feeling I've missed out loads :(

Ok, let's be stricter and put each guy in their arguably best position:

Goalies:

AM, NA

CB:

Cuellar, Weir, Webster

FB:

Papac, Broadfoot, Whittaker, Smith

DM:

Dailly, Hemdani, Thomson

CM:

Ferguson

AM:

Davis, Buffel, Gow

Wingers:

Burke, Adam, DMB

Strikers:

Cousin, JCD, Novo, LM, Boyd

I have a horrible feeling I've missed out loads :(

Going by there best positions I'd put Adam in the AM bracket. Which then gives Davis, Buffel, Gow and Adam. Two of whom will never be used and shows how weak we are in that position. It is the main one that needs looked at for a quality investement come the summer.

The back line, with Papc and Broadfoot are very flexible but I think I'd like to see another right back in place and depending on Cousins sale We need another player who can play the lone striker role well. Darcheville is too injury prone and the others hunt better in pairs.

We do have enough though to sweep the boards in the SPL and anything in europe will be an added bonus.

:rangers:

What I am most concerned about is if Barry isnt playing - how would the team play - react. We have to get cover for him - and it aint Adam (IMHO) or Hemdani. Last time he didn't play (I think) was the Hearts defeat (4 - 2). Played mince as a team first half when he was rested - (2 - 0 ) and ok 2nd half (2 -2 ) when he played.

What I am most concerned about is if Barry isnt playing - how would the team play - react. We have to get cover for him - and it aint Adam (IMHO) or Hemdani. Last time he didn't play (I think) was the Hearts defeat (4 - 2). Played mince as a team first half when he was rested - (2 - 0 ) and ok 2nd half (2 -2 ) when he played.

Very much agree with this - CM and AM is our biggest weak link. BF can imo only be replaced by Davis for now and we lack real quality. Davis is only on loan as is A.Webster and C. Daily. Which also means we need a new good Centre Half too as a priority.

...still could do with trimming quanity to improve quality in certain areas IMO.

Looking at the half year accounts some financial headroom is needed to afford such quality going forward..

we have a decent squad but we do lack real quality throughout the team. We need to bring in some quality attacking midfielders/wingers and at least one more quality defender. Still think we are going to be good enough to win the league and at least in the summer we will just be strengthening a successful team rather than having to rebuild an awful team like walter did last summer. Imagine what we could be like this time next year if we were to spend similar money this summer.

maybe I just missed it but I think you missed out Beasley

Deliberately as he is out for the season and who knows what like he will be when he recovers or how long it will take after he is fit before he is really match ready - i.e. back to his best form.