Kirk Broadfoot

Marbles81

I'm amazed that everyone seems to think Kirk s playing well??! The bloke is a dud, he cannot pass the ball, he can't tackle and is just generally not good enough.

I think Stevie Smith and Steven Whittaker should be the fullbacks and not Papac/Broadfoot.

What I find strangest of all is that we invested 2 million on a player who has played as a very effective attacking RB in this league for the past 3/4 years, yet we still opt to play with the centre half who we signed on a bosman.

Whittaker might not be a fan favourite atm, but he's a damn sight better and more experienced in that position than Broadfoot is and IMO we need as many experienced players as we can get for this run in.

I prefer Broadfoot to Whittaker but only just. I don't think either are good enough and Dailly should be brought into RB.

It's a position that needs filled with quality in the summer.

A bit lively for someone who registered 10 minutes ago ;)

Didn't Smith buy Whittaker to play at right midfield but slot in at rightback if needed?

I'd of hoped not, he'll never be a midfielder.

Never liked him, cant see me starting to like him. Theres just something that turns me off him, as soon as he tries one of his dribbling runs half way up the park to deliver a ball which doesnt get past the first defender.

We will definately need to fill this position in the Summer.

A bit lively for someone who registered 10 minutes ago ;)

Didn't Smith buy Whittaker to play at right midfield but slot in at rightback if needed?

I'd of hoped not, he'll never be a midfielder.

I found this - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_2638513,00.html

Manager Walter Smith has revealed new signing Steven Whittaker will be pushed into a midfield Rangers role.

Whittaker starred for Hibernian at right-back last season before making a £2milliom move to Rangers at the beginning of August.

Having captured his man, Smith now says Whittaker will be used at right midfield instead of the defensive position where the 23-year-old impressed.

Rangers already have an established right-back in Alan Hutton and Smith, who returned to the Ibrox hot seat in January, believes the new combination with Whittaker will form a formidable force down the flank.

"I would say that at the present moment Steven is more likely to play midfield for us than he is in the full-back position," Smith told the Daily Record.

"Alan has been excellent for us since we came here, so putting Steven in the other position will give us not only his physical strength but a great level of ability."

Smith has now made nine summer signings as he looks to bridge the gap to Scottish champions Celtic and he admits versatility is a key skill.

"We know Steven has the capability to play both positions to a high standard. That's why I'm delighted to have him," Smith added.

Whittaker, though, is not daunted by the change of position and believes he has the ability to make the switch having briefly performed there during his Easter Road days.

"On the odd occasion I was moved into midfield and did a decent job there," Whittaker told the Daily Record.

"I'm capable of playing both positions and I'm happy to play either. As long as I'm in the starting 11, whether it's at right midfield or right-back doesn't bother me."

Broadfoot cannot do the basics like passing to his own team, he is slow with very poor balance and absolutely no positional sense and for a central defender is not very good at defending.

Whittaker has always been very poor at defending, again he had a habit of costing Hibs goals by this and his nonexistant sense of positional play. Like Broadfoot he can get forward but he cannot cross the ball whereas Broadfoot does get his crosses into the area.

I would not like to depend on either in big games and the sooner we get rid of both the more confident I would be in our defence.

I'm amazed that everyone seems to think Kirk s playing well??! The bloke is a dud, he cannot pass the ball, he can't tackle and is just generally not good enough.

I think Stevie Smith and Steven Whittaker should be the fullbacks and not Papac/Broadfoot.

Do you go to the games? :rolleyes:

Broadfoot has done a good job at Right back since he has came in and for some1 who is a centre half he is doing fine, he likes to get up and down the wing aswell only thing that lets him down is his final ball which is pish. Problem is the fans will never take to Broadfoot because he was signed from St Mirren, hes a young Scottish player who Walter obviously feels has potential to become a very good Rangers player in the future and thats why he signed him. Think your also being harsh on Papac aswell he has had a very good season not the best going forward but hes improving in every game. Smith will be the left back for Rangers and Scotland for years to come when hes fit but for now Papac will do for me

Broadfoot cannot do the basics like passing to his own team, he is slow with very poor balance and absolutely no positional sense and for a central defender is not very good at defending.

Whittaker has always been very poor at defending, again he had a habit of costing Hibs goals by this and his nonexistant sense of positional play. Like Broadfoot he can get forward but he cannot cross the ball whereas Broadfoot does get his crosses into the area.

I would not like to depend on either in big games and the sooner we get rid of both the more confident I would be in our defence.

Broadfoot has not let us down in 1 game yet, he made a mistake in Bremen with his header but he has done everything asked of him and hes doing fine only thing that is letting him down is his final ball

I think people are being very harsh concerning Broadfoot. No, he's not the best full-back in the world, but he's trying his heart out every week in a position which definitely isn't his preferred one. IMO he's had only 3 poor games this season, which is a whole lot less than Alan Hutton had not so long ago! And we all know how Hutton improved when he was given time! doh

What Broadfoot possesses that Whittaker seems to lack is a fantastic engine. He will motor up and down the right flank all day without seeming to tire, whereas Whittaker hasn't even looked match-fit in his last few appearances.

As for Papac, he's been one of our most improved players this season, again in a role that he's unaccustomed to playing.

Surely these players should be given credit rather than dumped on the scrapheap after they've had a bad game?

Too be honest I don't particularly rate Broadfoot, however, he has came in and stuck to his task. We were spoiled the last 12 months or so in that we had Hutton to bomb up and down the wing.

Broadfoot doesn't offer us enough and in my opinion shpuld be replaced this weekend by either Dailly or Whittaker. In fact those 2 should be the full backs for the remainder of the season, unless Smith comes back into 1st team.

I really do fear for us down the left wing on Saturday. Hutton knew how to play the 'squashed up wee greetin face one', but I think he could have a field day on Saturday against Broadfoot and get the ball in for Samosa or Jan pissapot to get on the end of them.