Dave Smith on the current gers side, and our mindset in europe.

Boab

By Gavin McCafferty, PA Sport

Rangers great Dave Smith insists it is "madness" to talk of the current generation emulating his European success.

The Gers face Sporting Lisbon at Ibrox on Thursday in the first leg of the UEFA Cup quarter-finals following a draw that offered an omen to the most optimistic of Rangers fans.

Smith was part of the team who knocked out the Portuguese side on their way to European Cup Winners' Cup glory in 1972.

But the 64-year-old has seen enough of Rangers this season to know that over-confidence could prove dangerous for Walter Smith's men.

"Talk about winning the trophy is madness," Dave Smith said.

"It's too early, even if they win against Sporting Lisbon.

"I go to a lot of Rangers games and Rangers haven't played well in Europe.

"They have got results and results are what matters but performances have not been impressive.

"When the game comes around they have to do what they are good at, work for each other and graft.

"There are no easy games for Rangers, or any club, in Europe. Rangers are not in a position to expect to beat any team in a European quarter-final.

"Walter will know they have got to work but the chance is there for them.

"They shouldn't expect to win but they shouldn't be scared. They are playing for Rangers, Rangers shouldn't be scared of any team."

Rangers have defied expectations to progress to this stage in Europe, finishing above Stuttgart in the Champions League group stages before knocking out Panathinaikos and Werder Bremen in the UEFA Cup.

They survived an onslaught in Germany to claim a 2-1 aggregate victory over Bremen and former sweeper and midfielder Smith believes such a winning mentality could see them through despite a lack of flair.

"They are winning games and a winning team breeds success," said Smith, who now runs the Salutation Inn in Montrose.

"If you are winning, you expect to win.

"Once you start to win, players get more confidence from that and are inclined to try things they wouldn't normally do.

"If you are on a winning streak it doesn't matter how you are winning."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scott...cotspremiership

another great article boab and dave smith is spot on we are not a great side just plenty of spirit and hard graft but the main thing is we are doing well.

(tu)

Cheers Bud.

I've watched a little of Dave Smith now on Rangers TV - the 72 run and the 67 final that more should know about IMO - and I can understand why nvager drew comparisons with Dave and Brahim.

Dave seemed to me as a player who very composed on the ball but could get forward unlike Brahim and set up the wingers like Scott, Henderson and Bud. Also, he seemed to be everywhere where some players these days seem to be in a wee area.

another great article boab and dave smith is spot on we are not a great side just plenty of spirit and hard graft but the main thing is we are doing well.

(tu)

Cheers Bud.

I've watched a little of Dave Smith now on Rangers TV - the 72 run and the 67 final that more should know about IMO and I can understand why nvager drew comparisons with Dave and Brahim.

Dave seemed to me as a player who very composed on the ball but could get forward unlike Brahim and set up the wingers like Scott, Henderson and Bud. Also, he seemed to be everywhere where some players these days seem to be in a wee area.

boab he was a fantastic reader of a game and great passer.

"They shouldn't expect to win but they shouldn't be scared. They are playing for Rangers, Rangers shouldn't be scared of any team."

What a fantastic line.

:rangers:(tu)

If you had to be honest with yourself Minstral,you would give Walter the credit he richly deserves. (tu)

If you had to be honest with yourself Minstral,you would give Walter the credit he richly deserves. (tu)

i have no problem giving walter credit, he has done fantastic but dave smith is only speaking the truth that we are not a great side, just a hard working side with plenty of spirit but nowhere near the class of our cup winners team.