Interesting stat

rfc_no1fan

Liverpool have played 698 long balls in the champions league this season.

Liverpool play a similar way to Rangers, 4-2-3-1 with Stevie G playing the same role to Barry Ferguson.

Rangers would probably have a similar ammount, if not more

Is it a coincidence that both Liverpool and Rangers are doing well in Europe and are hard to beat, where as the liks of Real Madrid who try to get the ball down and play football get knocked out fairly early on.

Long ball tough to defend against?

Shhhh.

Whenever i see Liverpool playing , they seem to pass it around . Surpised me that stat :/

Yeah seen it on sky sports news yesterday.....

They might be including Alonso's shots from his own half, and Stevie G switching play all the time.

Shhhh.

Whenever i see Liverpool playing , they seem to pass it around . Surpised me that stat :/

Yeah seen it on sky sports news yesterday.....

They might be including Alonso's shots from his own half, and Stevie G switching play all the time.

And goal kicks . and clearances

I saw that stat on SSN last night and immediatley thought of us. I knew Liverpool liked to play the long ball at times but I never knew it was that much.

Depends on the opposition and how much you use it. Liverpool are different as they also get the ball down, pass and move. We struggle to even do that at times.

Would be interesting to see our stats on this!

rfc_no1fan, did you have a good night on Saturday?

I'm sure I saw you twaddle past me in the Mega, but I wasn't 100% sure.

As for the stat..after watching that Sporting game 1st hand, I'd say the long ball to Darche or Novo isn't hard to defend against at all. Depends on the target!

We're not going to change the way we play for the rest of this season. We play the best we can with the players that we've got and it's been a successful season up till now.

Even next season I don't expect us to play free flowing, easy on the eye football, but do expect us to show a bit more flair than we are now.

Its all really because Fernando Torres has the finishing of Boyd, the pace of Beasley, the aerial presence of McCulloch, the grit of Novo, the burst of Darcheville, and the quality of Cousin.

That stat doesn't surprise me though, remember how poor Liverpool was for the part of the group stage.

Don't forget the hair of Burke of course.

rfc_no1fan, did you have a good night on Saturday?

I'm sure I saw you twaddle past me in the Mega, but I wasn't 100% sure.

As for the stat..after watching that Sporting game 1st hand, I'd say the long ball to Darche or Novo isn't hard to defend against at all. Depends on the target!

I was in the Mega Bar on Saturday night.

Never seen you though, was too busy looking at other things.

that was another long ball tonight from kuyt that teed up babel nicely, they do work :craphead:

one to daniel tomorro night and a result of 1-0 does me nicely thanks

Torres goal was a long ball forward which was flicked on.

Here is an interesting stat....

Last night Arsenal started with a 4-5-1 formation and Liverpool changed to a 4-4-2 formation after playing 4-5-1 in the previous leg and the game ended 4-2 to Liverpool, another example of how the 4-5-1 isnt as great as everyone thinks it is !!

Last night Arsenal started with a 4-5-1 formation and Liverpool changed to a 4-4-2 formation after playing 4-5-1 in the previous leg and the game ended 4-2 to Liverpool, another example of how the 4-5-1 isnt as great as everyone thinks it is !!

Liverpool have the quality to play 4-4-2 and go toe to toe with the best sides, we don't.

I'm actually sick of all these little digs at the 4-5-1. It's given us our best season in years and yet people still moan about it at any possibly opportunity.

Liverpool have the quality to play 4-4-2 and go toe to toe with the best sides, we don't.

I'm actually sick of all these little digs at the 4-5-1. It's given us our best season in years and yet people still moan about it at any possibly opportunity.

We do not employ it properly because of personnel,lack of pace,and application. Our striker tends to be isolated,our midfield fails to push up quickly,fails to close down quickly. If the 5 worked properly opponents would be restricted in the number of shots at goal,but against Bremen,for example, I think they were allowed over 30 attempts with little challenge. In europe we, for long periods play a 9-1.

At what point did I compare us to Liverpool or even suggest that we have the same quality at our disposal as they do ?

I just pointed out that Arsenal changed to 4-5-1 last night and IMO it cost them a place in the semi's of the Champions League. Arsenal have way more quality in thier squad than Liverpool, and from where I was sitting it was their tactics (4-5-1) that let them down on the night, hense the comment "4-5-1 isnt as great as everyone thinks it is".

that was another long ball tonight from kuyt that teed up babel nicely, they do work :craphead:

There was a guy in the '80's who analysed hundreds of goals and came up with the conclusion that the vast majority came from three touches or less, or something like that. I can't remember his name, think he had a military title. He advocated the long ball game.

There was a guy in the '80's who analysed hundreds of goals and came up with the conclusion that the vast majority came from three touches or less, or something like that. I can't remember his name, think he had a military title. He advocated the long ball game.

Emlyn Hughes, I'm almost certain. He was in the charge of the coaching of the FA at one point, I have a book of his upstairs.

Emlyn Hughes, I'm almost certain. He was in the charge of the coaching of the FA at one point, I have a book of his upstairs.

He's always on Talksport.

I remember the stat that 70% of goals in all World Cups have came from set pieces..does that maybe count as a long ball too?

Papa, can I suggest there's a difference between a long pass and a long ball? Andy Gray once said that about Bolton

Surely long balls are still aimed at someone, hence pass?

Although I could easily be a wrong, it's definately a grey area.