Why the City of Manchester Stadium ?

I know it should have been played in Old Trafford for a start, this is ridiculous that the vast majority of Bears will not actually be in the stadium. However this is what I have come to Expect from UEFA :mad:

The stadiums get organised years in advance.

The UEFA Cup final can be held at 4 or 5 star stadiums as rated by UEFA, according to a list of criteria. The City of Manchester stadium meets the criteria for a 4 star stadium.

They couldn't have known that there would be an influx of over 100,000 Rangers fans into Manchester :P

there are only so many suitable stadiums in europe and they spread the tournaments out so they don't always go to the biggest stadium.

I'm sure you and the rest of us would be delighted if Ibrox was selected as it is a fine stadium, but there are bigger stadiums, of course it's frustrating when we qualify and the stadium isn't big enough.... but what stadium would be? we'd fill any stadium and still have people wanting more tickets.

You can't blame UEFA for this one I'm afraid, it's just a bit of bad luck... but then again it's also good luck that we don't have far to travel so take the sour with the sweet

there are only so many suitable stadiums in europe and they spread the tournaments out so they don't always go to the biggest stadium.

I'm sure you and the rest of us would be delighted if Ibrox was selected as it is a fine stadium, but there are bigger stadiums, of course it's frustrating when we qualify and the stadium isn't big enough.... but what stadium would be? we'd fill any stadium and still have people wanting more tickets.

You can't blame UEFA for this one I'm afraid, it's just a bit of bad luck... but then again it's also good luck that we don't have far to travel so take the sour with the sweet

Ibrox could be selected at some point actually, being a 5 star stadium it's eligible to hold the UEFA Cup or UEFA Champion's League finals (I think).

Ibrox could be selected at some point actually, being a 5 star stadium it's eligible to hold the UEFA Cup or UEFA Champion's League finals (I think).

aye, but they are about to change the criteria to include capacity so it's likely we will lose 5 star status

aye, but they are about to change the criteria to include capacity so it's likely we will lose 5 star status

Capacity is already included in the criteria. It's 50,000 for 5 star and 30,000 for 4 star stadia. Or are they increasing this?

UEFA usually use one of the bigger stadia to host the Champion's League Final regardless.

IBROX will never hold a Champions League Final or Uefa Cup Final!!!

The SFA wont allow us to hold it

I know Celtic Park is not a 5* stadium, but as Disgruntled says, I highly doubt either Ibrox or Celtic park would ever get a major final, it would cause too much trouble, as the other set of fans would be in up roar that they didnt get picked. And also Hampden is also a good stadium, and is 'neutral', and thus has been used for champions league AND Uefa finals

The SFA will never put us ahead of Hampden cause they are looking to use Hampden as much as possible so when they try and bid for finals, Hampden will always be first. There is a new status now for stadiums i think, its something like elite status and Real Madrid are the first to get this status.