Steven Whittaker

Jimenez

When we signed Whittaker I thought it a little odd as we had the best right back in the country, I simply couldn't see the reasoning in paying £2million for someone to play second fiddle to one of our players. It became apparent early on that Smith was going to try deploying him in right midfield hoping he and Hutton would develop an understanding and be an attacking force down the right. It became clear early on that this just wasn't going to materialize the way he had hoped, so we were left with an expensive signing occasionally filling in at left back.

With Hutton's departure in January I thought it only natural that Whittaker would immediately take over that role. But for some reason Smith opted to play Broadfoot or Dailly there, I just can't see the logic in that. Whittaker obviously can't fill the void left by Hutton but giving a prolonged run there he certainly has the potential to become a competent player both defensively and going forward.

Quite simply we can't continue playing central defenders in that position. I have nothing against Broadfoot, I certainly don't blame him for being stuck out of position.

Give Whittaker a run in that position Wattie, it's the logical thing to do.

Good post Jiminez.

Before the emergance of Hutton and talking about an attacking sense Whittaker was the best right back in Scotland.

Yes he didn't look too convincing when he played there for us, but his confidence was shattered and he was being asked to play three roles a week sometimes.

After that goal against Lisbon he played at right back against Celtic and he looked excellent. That IMO, was the real Whittaker.

We are crying out for an attack minded right backa nd there might very well be one sitting right under our nose.

With DMB back, and if we sign another wide player, or what I think is going to happen more strikers with Novo playing wide on the right more often, then I think Whittaker will be deployed at RB next season with Broadfoot being the back up as he started last season.

With DMB back, and if we sign another wide player, or what I think is going to happen more strikers with Novo playing wide on the right more often, then I think Whittaker will be deployed at RB next season with Broadfoot being the back up as he started last season.

I cetainly hope so, at times our play down the flanks was painfully awful.

Papac and McCulloch down the left and Braodfoot and Davis down the right, the only one of the four there who wasn't played out of position was McCulloch (and that is debatable IMO)

Quite simply we can't continue playing central defenders in that position. I have nothing against Broadfoot, I certainly don't blame him for being stuck out of position.

It's not like Walter doesn't have previous. Let's name all the centrehalfs he's played at full back. I'll start:

Kirk Broadfoot

Sasa Papac

Davie McPherson

Craig Moore

It's not like Walter doesn't have previous. Let's name all the centrehalfs he's played at full back. I'll start:

Kirk Broadfoot

Sasa Papac

Davie McPherson

Craig Moore

PLG started with the playing Papac at left back when Smith got injured, McPherson wasn't bad in that position, and for all his flaws Broadfoot did a good enough job, and anyway I'm sure Whittaker would have played in that position more if he hadn't been so versatile and covered other areas. and he sure as hell hasn't been bad at left back (Papac I mean). If I wanted to be really pedantic Hutton could be mentioned as he started his days as a centre back before he moved to the right, if I was any good at playing football and was a recognised striker I would play anywhere on the pitch as it should be a privilage playing for Rangers.

If I wanted to be really pedantic Hutton could be mentioned as he started his days as a centre back before he moved to the right

I wasn't criticising any of those players, just saying that Walter has previous for playing centrehalfs at full back.

And I'm sure before Hutton was even a centre half, he started off as a striker!

Whittaker is a conundrum. He played better at LB than RB and looked like a deer in headlights a lot of the time, yet he scored a magnificent goal vs SL.

I think he is very much a confidence player. If he is feeling confident he can play well, but if his confidence dips, look out as he can be devastatingly poor.

Frankly I am not yet convinced he is good enough and certainly he is NOT a mid fielder.

I would try him at RB as that is his natural position, but if we have the money I would bring in a good new RB and use Whittaker off the bench.

Has a long way to go in my opinion. Not good enough so far. Similar in that respect to CA and LM. All are favourites of WS and all are just not good enough.

not a big fan of whittaker to be honest. He looks good going forward but while hutton could go forward and get back to cover when needed whittaker seems to constantly get caught out of position when hes been up attacking.

not a big fan of whittaker to be honest. He looks good going forward but while hutton could go forward and get back to cover when needed whittaker seems to constantly get caught out of position when hes been up attacking.

AGREED

If I wanted to be really pedantic Hutton could be mentioned as he started his days as a centre back before he moved to the right

I wasn't criticising any of those players, just saying that Walter has previous for playing centrehalfs at full back.

And I'm sure before Hutton was even a centre half, he started off as a striker!

True!

So did McShagger before he became a goalie, in his much younger days scored 7 goals in one match I believe! :lol:

Whittaker was no longer first choice right back at Hibs in his final season there after being found out too often, especially againsts Hearts and Celtic.

To pay what we did for him was madness and last season he could not even earn a run at right back at the expense of Broadfoot. Paying well over the odds for someone with such poor balance , coordination and poise was another expensive mistake.

The fact that Walter didn't give him a run at right back last year is worrying for next season. If we don't bring in another right back, which there have been no rumours suggesting we will, then it looks like another season with Broadfoot at right back.

Surely not?

The fact that Walter didn't give him a run at right back last year is worrying for next season. If we don't bring in another right back, which there have been no rumours suggesting we will, then it looks like another season with Broadfoot at right back.

Surely not?

He still played him in the team though, I think it may have been down to broadfoot performing "well" in that position at times.

I still think Whittaker should be played at Right back from next season, he deserves the chance to get a consistant run in that position

When we signed Whittaker I thought it a little odd as we had the best right back in the country, I simply couldn't see the reasoning in paying £2million for someone to play second fiddle to one of our players. It became apparent early on that Smith was going to try deploying him in right midfield hoping he and Hutton would develop an understanding and be an attacking force down the right. It became clear early on that this just wasn't going to materialize the way he had hoped, so we were left with an expensive signing occasionally filling in at left back.

With Hutton's departure in January I thought it only natural that Whittaker would immediately take over that role. But for some reason Smith opted to play Broadfoot or Dailly there, I just can't see the logic in that. Whittaker obviously can't fill the void left by Hutton but giving a prolonged run there he certainly has the potential to become a competent player both defensively and going forward.

Absolutely,let him play his natural position.But the fans most be patient with him until he gets his confidence going,then I think we could have an excellent

right back. (tu)

Absolutely,let him play his natural position.But the fans most be patient with him until he gets his confidence going,then I think we could have an excellent

right back. (tu)

As it doesn't seem like we are in the market for a right back just now i would definetly give Whittaker a run in that position. :rangers:

I don't understand why so many of our players get played out of position. Not just with Smith but previously as well. Buffel, Arveladze, Lovenkrands and now our defenders.

Papac, although not great at attacking, is solid enough at left back. Definitely the best option for that position if Stevie Smith is out injured. Why Whittaker doesn't play in his natural position, RB is beyond me.

He'll never give us what Hutton did, imo, but still number one for that position within the current squad.

Well as far as playing Centre backs at full back, Wattenaccio once started a game when manager of Everton with SEVEN Centre backs playing in the team.

Five in defence & two C/B's playing as holding midfielders.Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!

I don't rate Whittaker. He has the concentration span of a 5 year old when playing. Players constantly need to keep shouting at him to make sure he's on his toes.

Also another poster summed him up great "a deer caught in the headlights at times". A big mistake for 2m imo.