How fickle are you Gers fans?

I have been a Gers fan for more years than I care to remember -- through thick and thin. We've had bad and good; pathetic and ecstatic -- but the Rangers will always be the Rangers.

Actually, I don't post often here, but I am shocked about all this negative drivel about Walter Smith. How fickle are some of our Gers fans? What do you want and what do you expect? My God -- two cups, UEFA cup final, and pipped on the last day for the title. Come on lads, give the man a break. He has given us new pride after that idiot PLG. There are too many armchair football bosses on RM, but Walter is a real one and Rangers through and through!

Wake up you lot, get behind the man, and show us that your true Rangers supporters.

Said in peace, from Shanghai. :unionflag:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a Gers fan for more years than I care to remember -- through thick and thin. We've had bad and good; pathetic and ecstatic -- but the Rangers will always be the Rangers.

Actually, I don't post often here, but I am shocked about all this negative drivel about Walter Smith. How fickle are some of our Gers fans? What do you want and what do you expect? My God -- two cups, UEFA cup final, and pipped on the last day for the title. Come on lads, give the man a break. He has given us new pride after that idiot PLG. There are too many armchair football bosses on RM, but Walter is a real one and Rangers through and through!

Wake up you lot, get behind the man, and show us that your true Rangers supporters.

This is one of the best posts I have read in the last few weeks. Maybe some of us older fans can be a little more realistic at times, having had many good times and many bad over the years. I just hope that we can bring the title home next season. :rangers:

This is one of the best posts I have read in the last few weeks. Maybe some of us older fans can be a little more realistic at times, having had many good times and many bad over the years. I just hope that we can bring the title home next season. :rangers:

we WILL!!!! bring the flag home next season

last season was remarkable

and i sure was glad to be a part of it

best year of my life

I would have to agree shanghai. Yes, it was didappointing not to win the league, of course it was. The league must always be our priority, however looking back to the start of the season how many of us would have predicted a UEFA Cup Final ? None I bet.

The fixtures didnt help in respect to the league, but you make the most of the situation you are in. There can be no excuses. Maybe a bit more rotation was needed, I dont know.

I honestly think Walter was the only man capable of inheriting as poor a side as he did and somehow drag them out of the hole we were in. Getting Cuellar was a masterstroke, no doubt about it.

Maybe younger fans who grew up in the 9iar years find it difficult, even foreign to see that, no we dont always win everything, Im old enough to remember some dire times too.

Im disappointed about the league, but Im grateful to Walter for grabbing the club by the scruff of the neck and doing something with the players he had at his disposal.

title in our hands in a two horse race and blew it, plus the most boring football i have ever had to watch from a rangers side, also managed to get to a european final and never tried to win it.

I would have to agree shanghai. Yes, it was didappointing not to win the league, of course it was. The league must always be our priority, however looking back to the start of the season how many of us would have predicted a UEFA Cup Final ? None I bet.

The fixtures didnt help in respect to the league, but you make the most of the situation you are in. There can be no excuses. Maybe a bit more rotation was needed, I dont know.

I honestly think Walter was the only man capable of inheriting as poor a side as he did and somehow drag them out of the hole we were in. Getting Cuellar was a masterstroke, no doubt about it.

Maybe younger fans who grew up in the 9iar years find it difficult, even foreign to see that, no we dont always win everything, Im old enough to remember some dire times too.

Im disappointed about the league, but Im grateful to Walter for grabbing the club by the scruff of the neck and doing something with the players he had at his disposal.

Well said, Coop. (tu)

I think a lot of it is down to the disappointment and frustration over how the season ended. Combine that with the blame culture we have and Walter gets the criticism.

We forget about the SPL fixturing and the poor refereeing which all granted Celtic a title. Perhaps the lesson we should learn is that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. We may need to complain more about referees more in order to compensate for their intimidation of referees. We got 4 red cards at the piggery when they got away with throat high karate kicks and the like right in front of the ref. Somehow, they were still complaining about refs, particularly McCurry and they did so in a sectarian manner bringing up his religion, even when he saved them from red cards and a 5-0 drubbing.

Very well said, bud.

People forget that we lost our due to the SPL's insistence on us playing 4 games in a week. I also think the referees kowtowed to their intimidation.

Not just that. Also Walter Smith's stubborness, failure to replace Hutton or add quality in January, poor tactics at times, failure to kill teams off and take our chances. We also got our fair share of decisions. celtc even had a terrible run of results.

Maybe the players took the same view of some on here, that the league was in the bag back in April?

Very well said, bud.

People forget that we lost our due to the SPL's insistence on us playing 4 games in a week. I also think the referees kowtowed to their intimidation.

Not just that. Also Walter Smith's stubborness, failure to replace Hutton or add quality in January, poor tactics at times, failure to kill teams off and take our chances. We also got our fair share of decisions. celtc even had a terrible run of results.

Maybe the players took the same view of some on here, that the league was in the bag back in April?

spot on muffger, the same posters that were saying why dont we play the youth team for the rest of the season, seeing the the title is won.

Very well said, bud.

I couldn't disagree with that more if even George Bush or Galloway said it.

We got very few decisions, the Dundee United matches being the main examples of this, but they're red herrings, since the consensus on the "errors" is simply wrong.

By contrast, McDonald's offside goals alone earned them at least 11 points.

As for squad rotation, people forget the injuries to wide players. You can't rotate much with a depleted squad. This was particularly applicable in wide areas.

Very well said, bud.

In my opinion I think we did quite well for a team going through a rebuilding phase. No-one would have believed we could have got to a Euro final after the last two seasons performances. We only spent around 12 or 14 million last summer so to expect to be competing in 68 matches was something not many people could have foreseen.

As for Hutton going, I don't think it made that much difference. We won plenty of games with Broadfoot or Whittaker playing RB. In fact we lost more games with Hutton in the side than with Broadfoot in. :craphead:

(In fact Hutton was in the losing side 6 times to Broadfoot's 3)

Good point and like you i've been following Rangers since Jesus was a baby and although i don't pretend to be a football manager i do see a pattern with Walter and i can spot a piss poor player ..i.e Broadfoot,Adam and McCulloch. and for some reason they play more often than not under Walter and are carried by better players when they do.

All we ask for is for our hard earned cash to be spent on quality to improve our viewing Saturday/Sunday and to go that step further in Europe and the league.

Walter brought back pride but he seems a stuborn man and what fans want gets blanked.

Miller is a traitor and a poor striker yet is purchased

Broadfoot canny pass,cross,trap,throw in or dribble but plays

McCulloch is a big lumbering oaf but plays.

Adam has some attributes but we see he is not a left winger cos he has no pace but he plays there.

Boyd our top scorer stays on bench

Cousin gets another chance

We play for pens in UEFA cup final which was a disgrace.

Just some of Walters failings.......i have seen managers come and go and Walter is second only to big Jock in my opinion but we have to point out his failings as well as his achievements

...i have seen managers come and go and Walter is second only to big Jock in my opinion..

Do you mean as your favourite or from ability as a manager point of view?

Smith has steadied the ship and I'm grateful for that but we have every right to question where he takes us from here.

Our capitulation in the SPL was down to Smith's inabilities to adapt to differing circumstances. He seemed devoid of ideas on how to change a game when it wasn't going to plan. He seems to only know how to play one style of play and to be honest it's mind numbingly boring at times. Playing two defensive midfielders to protect the back four against SPL teams is frankly embarrassing.

Muffger touched on Huttons departure. Personally I lay the blame for that squarely at the feet of Sir Give us you cash. I'd love to know the truth of what exactly was said between the manager and chairman, I seriously doubt we ever will. If he told Dodgy that we could go on without him then in my opinion that's a bigger footballing OG than signing the mhisser. He should have been more vocal at the time stating that we are midway through a title challenge and a European campaign and that Hutton was an important part to those aspirations.

I'm happy to give him another season but he will be judged on big decisions like signing the mhisser and not selling McCulloch for a reasonable fee. More importantly in my opinion on how we play the actual game. I want so enjoy going to Ibrox once again.

...i have seen managers come and go and Walter is second only to big Jock in my opinion..

Do you mean as your favourite or from ability as a manager point of view?

Favourite!!

Ability as a manager,everyone has their own attributes and failings but Big Jock was the manager i grew up with in th 70's and won 2 trebles when it was alot harder to do so.

I would agree Jim about his inability to alter the shape of the team when clearly we were getting nowhere in games. It was very much a safety first approach all through the season. With more drive and forward-thinking tactics, the league would have been ours, I have no doubt.

Great lads, thanks for all of your responses. We are all Bears at heart, so all want the best for our team.

I think Walter builds his team of defense, so maybe that's a shortcoming. However, I remember not long ago, we were down 3-0 at Dunfermline in the Cup; so it's a big step in a short time to get to the UEFA Cup Final.

You know one thing I never could stand about the Celtic fans is they always have an excuse for everything. They have sort of a persecution complex. I think the Rangers and our fans are above that blame-throwing mob, so we should be looking forward rather than back. Walter will make us get even better, and then hand over to another great manager.

Aye ready!

Great lads, thanks for all of your responses. We are all Bears at heart, so all want the best for our team.

I think Walter builds his team of defense, so maybe that's a shortcoming. However, I remember not long ago, we were down 3-0 at Dunfermline in the Cup; so it's a big step in a short time to get to the UEFA Cup Final.

You know one thing I never could stand about the Celtic fans is they always have an excuse for everything. They have sort of a persecution complex. I think the Rangers and our fans are above that blame-throwing mob, so we should be looking forward rather than back. Walter will make us get even better, and then hand over to another great manager.

Aye ready!

I agree. Theres no doubt we are more honest about ourselves then the mhanky mob. Without a doubt

We're fickle because football is based almost 99% on pure passion.

There's no rational logic behind love for a team - and trying to be 'reasonable' about it all is a contradiction in terms.

Fickle goes with the territory.

There's no rational logic behind love for a team - and trying to be 'reasonable' about it all is a contradiction in terms.

Correct and we should not be apologising or blamed for caring!

Nonsense. I'm not fickle & i could say the same for plenty others.

Its the fickle ones who are a cringeworthy embarrasment imo.

SMITH OUT SMITH OUT SMITH OUT!!! DICK IN DICK IN DICK IN!!! :rangers:

You're older than the hills mate :D