Fulham insist on £4m

Fulham tell Gers it's £4M for Davis

Steven Davis

Steven Davis

by Darrell King

FULHAM today warned Rangers they'll have to cough up £4million if they want to land midfielder Steven Davis on a permanent deal.

Cottagers boss Roy Hodgson confirmed that the London club have so far rejected two Gers bids, the second lodged over the weekend at just over £3m, for the Northern Ireland internationalist who spent the second half of last season on-loan in Scotland.

Gers boss Walter Smith wants to secure the 23-year-old on a four-year deal, and Davis is keen to move north permanently despite interest from Middlesbrough and Newcastle United.

But Hodgson says the Ibrox club will have to match their valuation of the player. And it is understood Smith is reluctant to pay that £4m figure.

advertisement

He had hoped Hodgson would re-ignite interest in Daniel Cousin after his £3m move to London collapsed because of Fifa red-tape in February, but that won't happen, ruling out any hope of a swap deal plus cash.

"Steven Davis is a Fulham player," Hodgson said today. "I know Rangers are interested in buying him and they have made bids which, so far, we have not found acceptable. He will only leave if a club matches our valuation.

"I like Steven and get on well with him. But we were in a position last season where we were able to make him available on loan to Rangers. It was no surprise to me that he did well and they want him back.

"Every player has a price but, as far as we are concerned, Steven is still part of our squad and he will be welcomed back here. We have signed one new midfield player, but also lost a couple, so we are not trying to rush him out the door."

Cardiff City, meanwhile, are weighing up an improved bid of £3.5m plus add-ons for Kris Boyd.

A £2.5m offer was rejected on Friday, and Boyd was given assurances by Smith over the weekend that he is part of the plans.

Cardiff haven't give up hope yet of signing Boyd, but are awaiting some kind of encouragement before going back in.

The striker will hold more talks with Smith when he reports back for pre-season training on Thursday, and it remains to be seen if Boyd's situation changes should more substantial offers come in.

# Alan Gow is a target for Championship new boys Doncaster.

That's us spent over £6m and bidding over £3m, before anyone has left.

It's pretty much as I predicted. £10m minimum, before taking any income from players out.

Big fan of Davis but that figure is daft

We dont play him in the right position, Fergusin and Thomson are good toegther and would be criminal to break that up to accomodate Davis.

Would rather see the £4 million spent on a winger or a pair of full backs

At that price, Davis is well overpriced. He had a great start, but was found wanting in later games for us. I would have hesitated at £3m in the latter part of the season, any more would get a resounding NO from me.

£3.5m plus add-ons for Boydy.

I wonder if that would get accepted.......

That would also be criminal

You'll find people who thing it would be criminal NOT to accept that kind of money.

I'm undecided, before anyone jumps on my back :P

You'll find people who thing it would be criminal NOT to accept that kind of money.

Ha!! I see your point pal!

3 season and over 70 goals. Worth far mor than £3.5 mil imo

If Liverpool want £15 million for Crouch surely Boyd is worh at least £10!

Ha!! I see your point pal!

3 season and over 70 goals. Worth far mor than £3.5 mil imo

If Liverpool want £15 million for Crouch surely Boyd is worh at least £10!

Again, I really don't want to turn this into a KB thread, but they'll simply point to his lack of goals (or 1st team action) against anyone half decent.

If the £3.5 million is put towards bringing in a real quality centre half/full back then so be it.

Whilst it would be ashame to see Boyd go, we simply can't afford luxuries like him in our current climate when money like that is being talked about.

I also personally wouldnt pay over £3 million for Davis.

Unless Walt is gonna play him in the right position, which he won't, then let him go back.

He's no use to us on the right wing.

(tu) If it's a winger we need then we should buy one.

Ah, if only the gaffer made it that simple.

But no, a central midfielder or a right back for winger under Walter <cr>

So I'm in the minority then. Because even at 4 million I would still sign him.

He's a well esthablished international, who will probably be the next captain of his nation.

He's still a number of years away from reaching his peak and if he does well for us there is still a chance that we can recoup, and even make a profit on the player a few years down the line.

He, like so many others, faded towards the tail end of last season becuase of the number of games we had to play.

not worth the money average player in my eyes.

I would agree, I think his background is the reason he is held in high regard by a lot of people. He looked very average in too many games, even playing out of position he just does not show much to suggest he has any more than we have seen.

So I'm in the minority then. Because even at 4 million I would still sign him.

He's a well esthablished international, who will probably be the next captain of his nation.

He's still a number of years away from reaching his peak and if he does well for us there is still a chance that we can recoup, and even make a profit on the player a few years down the line.

He, like so many others, faded towards the tail end of last season becuase of the number of games we had to play.

My concern is that we will play him out of position - like we did last term which had an immediate impact on his consistency. I rate him as a player but at £4M for a guy that will play second fiddle to Barry & Thommo is too much for me.

I would prefer to spend that on a dedicated AM or RM...and not a makeshift one.