Smith Euro fears as Liverpool crush Rangers

Aug 3 2008 By Mark Guidi

WALTER SMITH last night admitted he fears a knockout Euro blow in Kaunas after watching his Rangers side lose 4-0 to Liverpool.

Gers head to Lithuania tomorrow morning for the second leg of their Champions League qualifier with FBK Kaunas.

And yesterday's friendly with the Reds at Ibrox was hardly ideal preparation as Rafa Benitez's men won easily thanks to goals from Fernando Torres, David Ngog, Yossi Benayoun and Xabi Alonso.

Now Smith has to pick up his players for midweek - with their Euro hopes in the balance after a scoreless first leg.

He said: "I've no excuses. No complaints. Liverpool were better. It was a disappointing performance particularly in the second half.

"Perhaps we would have been better not taking this game on. But we know we need to get it going for Tuesday night. We can't run away.

"We were off the pace in the first half-hour last week against Kaunas and today's game also showed we have a bit to do.

"Tuesday is an important game and we need to be ready. We have to be brighter and sharper."

Smith (left) has spent close on s9million this summer but still has money for at least one more quality addition.

The Ibrox boss is searching for a playmaker to make a difference and, as MailSport revealed at the end of last season, former Celtic star Shaun Maloney is a target.

Smith said: "I'd sign any player from anywhere. I want someone who will benefit us middle to front.

"A player who can create will help us greatly. Players of that ilk are hard to come by and they are also expensive."

Smith would love to have the funds of Reds boss Benitez who recently spent s20million on Spurs striker Robbie Keane.

The Irishman was booed by the Rangers fans but Benitez was pleased by his partnership with Fernando Torres.

He said: "Robbie worked hard and there will be a good partnership with Fernando.

"Both are clever players and leaders. Robbie was booed but he is a professional and can handle it.

"He contributed well to our result today. We worked hard and tried to keep a high tempo."

Aug 3 2008 By Mark Guidi

WALTER SMITH last night admitted he fears a knockout Euro blow in Kaunas after watching his Rangers side lose 4-0 to Liverpool.

Gers head to Lithuania tomorrow morning for the second leg of their Champions League qualifier with FBK Kaunas.

And yesterday's friendly with the Reds at Ibrox was hardly ideal preparation as Rafa Benitez's men won easily thanks to goals from Fernando Torres, David Ngog, Yossi Benayoun and Xabi Alonso.

Now Smith has to pick up his players for midweek - with their Euro hopes in the balance after a scoreless first leg.

He said: "I've no excuses. No complaints. Liverpool were better. It was a disappointing performance particularly in the second half.

"Perhaps we would have been better not taking this game on. But we know we need to get it going for Tuesday night. We can't run away.

"We were off the pace in the first half-hour last week against Kaunas and today's game also showed we have a bit to do.

"Tuesday is an important game and we need to be ready. We have to be brighter and sharper."

Smith (left) has spent close on s9million this summer but still has money for at least one more quality addition.

The Ibrox boss is searching for a playmaker to make a difference and, as MailSport revealed at the end of last season, former Celtic star Shaun Maloney is a target.

Smith said: "I'd sign any player from anywhere. I want someone who will benefit us middle to front.

"A player who can create will help us greatly. Players of that ilk are hard to come by and they are also expensive."

Smith would love to have the funds of Reds boss Benitez who recently spent s20million on Spurs striker Robbie Keane.

The Irishman was booed by the Rangers fans but Benitez was pleased by his partnership with Fernando Torres.

He said: "Robbie worked hard and there will be a good partnership with Fernando.

"Both are clever players and leaders. Robbie was booed but he is a professional and can handle it.

"He contributed well to our result today. We worked hard and tried to keep a high tempo."

I thought that as well at first, it was Rafa that said that.

If Maloney is a target, why is Walter not commented on it?

Why is he talking up Keane and Torres we are Rangers FFS we should care about our own team and not them Scousers

read the article he would love to be able to spend £20 mill on one player

the last part is Benitez

He is not the only one who fears an knockout blow in Kaunaus and if it does (God forbid) where do we go from there does he stay or does he go i couldnt care less if he goes but who the fuck do we get to replace him?

He is not the only one who fears an knockout blow in Kaunaus and if it does (God forbid) where do we go from there does he stay or does he go i couldnt care less if he goes but who the fuck do we get to replace him?

Coisty or Durrant? :anguish:

What the f*ck does Walter expect when he plays Adam, McCulloch, Dailly, JCD, Broadfoot, Weir etc!!?!? :angry2:

Nail. Head.

Smith is moaning about the quality of football yet he's picking lumbering workmen to play like Barcelona.

Not gonna happen.

Coisty or Durrant? :anguish:

Perish the fucking thought blind leading the blind couple of jokers and nothing else.

There is only one man to blame, our manager. Then we move on to Shaun Maloney. Don't even think about it Smith!

Injury prone, over-rated ****** b*stard!

What the f*ck does Walter expect when he plays Adam, McCulloch, Dailly, JCD, Broadfoot, Weir etc!!?!? :angry2:

Nail. Head.

Smith is moaning about the quality of football yet he's picking lumbering workmen to play like Barcelona.

Not gonna happen.

It's baffling and it makes him look silly!