Just Watch Mo Go

Muff

MO JOHNSTON has backed Mo Edu to become a sensation at Ibrox after playing his part in securing a $5million move over the weekend.

There is still some bureaucracy to overcome as Rangers need to secure a work permit for 22-year-old American star Edu and a tribunal will make a decision on that next week.

However, once that hurdle is overcome Toronto FC's Director of Football Johnston is convinced that the kid he drafted from college will be a major player for Rangers this season.

The former Rangers striker said: "I am quite sure that Mo will be a huge success at Rangers.

"He is a very good player already but he is still learning and he will learn from great coaches at Rangers.

"He is easily the best young player in the States right now and I have no doubts that he will do really well at Rangers."

Johnston, while head coach at Toronto, drafted Edu from Maryland College last year and the defensive midfielder was voted Rookie of the Year in his first season for the club.

Rangers approached Johnston for recommendations on players and he had no hesitation in picking out California-born Edu.

Walter Smith made initial inquires at the end of last season and then stepped these up after having Edu watched at the Olympics where he represented the USA.

Negotiations were then opened up with Major League Soccer, who own the rights to all players in the league, and a deal was concluded.

Edu then flew in to Glasgow and watched Saturday's Hearts game, then signed a five-year contract - subject to work permit - before jetting back across the Atlantic to join the USA's full squad for Wednesday's World Cup tie in Guatemala.

Johnston added: "It was all a bit of a whirlwind. It's a great move for Mo and Rangers but it certainly leaves us with a big hole in our midfield.

"We picked him up from Maryland in the draft last year and he was a top player for us last season, winning the Rookie of the Year award.

"There was a lot of interest from other clubs but Rangers managed to get the deal done with MLS.

"They own the rights but we get a portion of the money.

"He can play right back and centre back as well as defensive midfield.

"I noticed that Rangers had signed Pedro Mendes and I think that Mo can be the perfect foil for him.

"He is a big lad and he takes no prisoners. He is a strong player and he can break up the play really well.

"I have no doubts that Walter will get the best out of him."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1369887,00.html

Id like to see him at RB really, hes a better pick than Whittaker and certainly a better pick than Broadfoot.

_______________McGregor_______________

Edu_____Bougherra____(NEW CB)____Papac

Beasley____KT/Davis___Mendes___Bresciano

_____________Aaron____________________

_____________________Lafferty___________

what a fecking improvement that would be from last season eh.

He can play right back, centre back and midfield.

Hmmmmmmm.

If you have a quick look at his website he say's he played CB to cover for injury.Always nice to have a player like that especially in the Scottish league.

He's very leggy. Like most Americans breaking through, he's exceptionally athletic and pretty huge. He could perhaps fill out a bit, but I'm sure that will happen quickly in Glasgow.

Edu is a defensive midfielders. He sits deep in the park and soaks up pressure then plays the simple ball. You won't see much flashy from him when it comes to passing, but he's got very sleek ball control. He's very composed on the ball, especially for his age (he's about 22 I think).

In the Olympics, our coaching staff decided to play him at center back. We've never had very clever managers; this one brought a grand total of 4 natural defenders. However, Edu looked decent back there and outshone Parkhurst who is hands down the best defender in MLS. His size helped, but he generally kept things tight and made the right moves. He had a 10 minute spell at the very end of the Japan game in which he fell apart and committed a penalty offense (thank some deity for shitty refs, right?) and in general made silly decisions. That spell aside, most of us were delightfully surprised by how well he took the change of position. If Rangers needed it, he could probably help out back there, but it's not going to bring the best out of him.

Edu has also broken into the full NT of late. We play with two defensive midfielders, one spot is taken by Michael Bradley, and the other has seen a rotation of Edu, Pablo Mastroeni, Ricardo Clark, and Benny Feilhaber. Given Mastroeni's age and Feilhaber's club form (can't start for Derby), I like Edu out of those choices. It's unclear to me if Edu will get that work permit on the first ask, but he will surely be starting a bunch of matches for the USA in his career.

MLS Fan

penalty offense

So American :lol:

It's a mystery where he will play tbh. I really can't see him replacing Thomson.

Only time i can think of him playing is when we are playing a defensive 4-5-1 against the Tims or away in the league. Unless walter plays him at RB or CH?