Memories & Regrets

Honkytonkblue

It was 1977 i think which would of made me 7 yrs old at the time. The Bears were staying in my home town at the Commodore Hotel in Stonehaven prior to a game with Aberdeen. I was Gers daft ( still am of course,once a bear always a bear ) but more than that i totally adored Derek Parlane.

I made my way to the hotel entrance and nervously stood outside the front door for what seemed like ages. It may well of been hours but also might only of been 10 mins but it certainly felt an age at the time since i was only seven and totally crapping myself.

After a while a gigantic man approached me and said " Can i help you son". Erm aye i want to see Derek Parlane and get his autograph mister.

Within an instant this massive man had a hold of my hand and took me into the hotel and through to the dining area where DP and the rest of the team were.

I made a bee line for Parlane got his autograph and ran out of the hotel and home as fast as i could to show my mum and dad without even giving the likes of Greig,Cooper,Mclean,Mcloy,Russell,Jackson,Jardine etc the time of day.

Great memories which will never leave me ever, but i do wish i had taken time for the others. LOL.

The Gigantic man was of course Jock Wallace.

Any similar stories?

that's a great story. The closest i've been is at auchenhowie and met papac, sadly a few were training/leaving so I couldn't meet them. My boyhood hero super ally was on the other side of a door i could see him within feet but never got the chance to meet him sadly

I saw MacGregor come out of Singh's staggering before but decided against an autograph. I saw Furman in the cinema last year and my mates were impressed I recognised him, I was a bit disgusted they didn't. A taxi I was in also almost ran over Kirk Broadfoot too.

No autographs though :(.

Great story.

It was 1977 i think which would of made me 7 yrs old at the time. The Bears were staying in my home town at the Commodore Hotel in Stonehaven prior to a game with Aberdeen. I was Gers daft ( still am of course,once a bear always a bear ) but more than that i totally adored Derek Parlane.

I made my way to the hotel entrance and nervously stood outside the front door for what seemed like ages. It may well of been hours but also might only of been 10 mins but it certainly felt an age at the time since i was only seven and totally crapping myself.

After a while a gigantic man approached me and said " Can i help you son". Erm aye i want to see Derek Parlane and get his autograph mister.

Within an instant this massive man had a hold of my hand and took me into the hotel and through to the dining area where DP and the rest of the team were.

I made a bee line for Parlane got his autograph and ran out of the hotel and home as fast as i could to show my mum and dad without even giving the likes of Greig,Cooper,Mclean,Mcloy,Russell,Jackson,Jardine etc the time of day.

Great memories which will never leave me ever, but i do wish i had taken time for the others. LOL.

The Gigantic man was of course Jock Wallace.

Any similar stories?

derek parlane was the 1st autograph i ever got.

it was at a game at lennox park in milngavie

where he was presenting a trophy to milngavie wanderers v someone

still got it

went to tillycoultry golf club on a works day out,

met stewart kennedy,asked him for his autograph.

i swear it..he dropped the pen

5-1 england..destroyed him

but i thought,at the time,he was great

I've told this story before on RM.

My Dad was a Cop who walked the Ibrox beat. He would mention from time to time that he knew so many of the great Rangers from the 1940s - 60s.

Obviously those were different times and lots of the players lived locally and hung around the area, but as kids do I always took it with a pinch of salt.

Then one day we were out for a drive in the Clyde Valley, going to Lanark to visit some of my Mum's family. We stopped for a bite to eat at (iirc) The Tillietudlem Hotel, which was owned by George Young.

For the younger ones he was Rangers' Captain in the 1950s and at the time the most capped player for Scotland. A real legend. The modern day equivalent might be Gough or Souness.

We walked in and Big George ('Corkie') was behind the bar. As soon as Dad appeared, he ran round the bar and loudly said 'Adam, great to see you!' And gave Dad a big hug.

Feck me it was an 'I am not worthy' moment for me.

I saw my dad in a different light after that.

Recently when I mentioned that Harold davis was at a RST Function, he was sitting back saying 'last time I saw Harry....'

ted mcmin (tin man) used to coach me when i was younger and played for derby county. . .

at his testimonial was in the tunnel bwt to walk onto the pitch for a photo (long story)

ally McCoist my hero was stood there giving a interview wering a t-shirt no trousers . . .maade me laugh tht no one watching this interview would have a clue that he had nothing on his lower half! :lol:

Also andy gray (sky sports) was doing commentary at a derby game, and my dad told me to go up and say hi, i didnt kno who he was at time was pretty young but had a rangers beanie on and was brill to me, told me that tht was his team. gr8 guy in my opinion

got a few more but there my favs

My Dad was a Cop who walked the Ibrox beat. He would mention from time to time that he knew so many of the great Rangers from the 1940s - 60s.

Obviously those were different times and lots of the players lived locally and hung around the area, but as kids do I always took it with a pinch of salt.

Then one day we were out for a drive in the Clyde Valley, going to Lanark to visit some of my Mum's family. We stopped for a bite to eat at (iirc) The Tillietudlem Hotel, which was owned by George Young.

For the younger ones he was Rangers' Captain in the 1950s and at the time the most capped player for Scotland. A real legend. The modern day equivalent might be Gough or Souness.

We walked in and Big George ('Corkie') was behind the bar. As soon as Dad appeared, he ran round the bar and loudly said 'Adam, great to see you!' And gave Dad a big hug.

Recently when I mentioned that Harold davis was at a RST Function, he was sitting back saying 'last time I saw Harry....'

Now, that is class so it is!

I went to the Ranger's Convention(think that's what they called it) in 1977 in the Kelvin Hall. My freinds dad worked for the ambulance service and got us tickets to get access into the players lounge.

Didn't get any autographs though....we were trying to act really sophisticated (only 17). It was good to mingle with them though (players you mentioned above DJ too) but I do regret not getting autographs.

Also had my photo taken with Graham Roberts at a dinner dance....can't find it anywhere! So I regret not looking after that too.

nice story manti. (tu)

Wigtown show 1993 - Ally McCoist was the guest of honour and I was 9 years old. I was in attendance with my grandparents and my 8-year old female cousin. Super Ally was taking autographs across the field in a marquee but to get there my cousin and I had to climb a tricky barbed wire fence. She hopped over it successfully and got his sig and a chat (he still had crutches at the time from the Scotland v Portugal game) but I fell flat on my face, ripped my leg open on the barbed wire and burst into tears, refusing to go any futher. My Grandfather, a life-long Bear and definitely what one might call 'Old-School' was disgusted with me and said I would always regret it. He was right and he's no longer with us. My cousin, meanwhile, is now a Celtic supporter and her brother a professional footballer. Oh the irony.

Super Ally has a holiday home in the village where my folks have the village pub. He has been in loads of times, is great friends with both my parents and my sister who he greets like a life long friend whenever they meet. My folks have been down to his house , my wife and kids have all met him.He even phoned my pub to wish us happy new year.I however seem to manage to miss him on every occasion he is there. My dad says that he is a great guy in the pub and always talks to every body especially the youn lads in the village. A great guy and a total ambassador for RFC.

Was sat in front of John Grieg in the Euro game v Stuttgart, 3 or 4 seasons ago !-0 Lovenkrads was sitting their for almost the whole game before i realised who he was . doh!

Was on the front cover of a Raith Rovers programme next to Jock Wallace when i was about 11yo. He was at Starks Park for some anniversary.

Spent an evening playing pool and having a wee drink with "The Goalie" in the previous pub i owned, talking about football, cricket and pubs. A total gentleman, neither of us got drunk and he was fantastic company and very unassuming.

Got my picture taken with Terry Butcher when I was in the Argyle House for my lunch wae ma mum n dad.

I won a Teddy Bear club competition to train at Ibrox. Too bad it was on the astro turf outside the feckin place but anyway John Greig took some of the training and got autographs fae Laudrup, Ian Ferguson and Durrant. To be fair when Greig came out I think ma dad was more starstruck than I was. Think I was only 9 at the time.

Got a snap wae Andy Goram at a sportsmans dinner as well. His first words were. 'Tumshie thats a fuckin stupid nickname'. Couldni really argue with him :mutley: