Rangers team up with UNICEF

NOLUWDC

Champions For Children

RANGERS have joined an elite group of clubs after teaming up with UNICEF in a ground-breaking charity collaboration.

The Rangers Charity Foundation became the latest to team up with the international children's charity, adding their name to a list including the likes of Barcelona, Manchester United and AC Milan.

Charity Foundation and Club Chairman Sir David Murray, Charity Trustee and Rangers Chief Executive Martin Bain and Charity Champion and Club Captain Barry Ferguson joined UNICEF UK Director of Corporate Fundraising Anne Shinkwin to formalise the agreement today by signing a pledge to raise £300,000 by 2011.

UNICEF will be the Rangers Charity Foundation's International Charity Partner for an initial 3 years in which period the Foundation will fund a UNICEF education project in India across 15 states, reaching over 45,000 children in over 200 schools.

In India, approximately 5 million children aged between 6 and 11 miss out on a school education. The majority of these are girls with many of them coming from poor, disadvantaged communities.

Many schools have inadequate learning facilities and teaching materials, with classrooms often over crowded and children unable to complete their studies.

Money raised by the partnership will support a public campaign aimed at increasing school admissions, buy books, teaching materials and classroom materials, improve the learning environment and teaching facilities in over 150 schools, fund a campaign that identifies and helps young girls who have been unable to complete primary school, provide training to teachers and improve the water and sanitation facilities in over 200 schools.

Club and Charity Foundation Chairman Sir David Murray was pleased to see the collaboration set up.

He said: "It is a huge landmark for the Rangers Charity Foundation to establish this partnership with UNICEF and join some of the biggest clubs in the world as one of their football partners.

"Rangers is a club known across the globe and it is great to see our charitable activities expanding on an international scale, whilst we increase our work at a more local level in Scotland.

"The Foundation launched a Community Grants Scheme in 2007 and recently announced a new Community Charity Partner. We are also set to unveil a National Partner within the next few weeks.

"Our agreement with UNICEF adds a different dimension to our charitable work and builds upon the activities Rangers already delivers to communities throughout Scotland, not just within the charitable sector but also in education, health and wellbeing and social equality."

UNICEF UK Executive Director David Bull was also delighted to seal the partnership with Rangers.

He said: "I am delighted that Rangers has chosen to support UNICEF's education work in India. Access to education is something we often take for granted. For thousands of children, this project will bring the precious opportunities an education can offer a step closer."

UNICEF is the world's leading children's organisation, reaching young people in more than 150 countries around the world.

It works with local communities and governments across the globe to help every child realise their full potential by providing health care, nutrition, education and by protecting children affected by crises including war, natural disasters and HIV and AIDS.

The partnership with Rangers will be the first relationship of its kind for the charity in Scotland and Charity Foundation Champion Barry Ferguson will head to India to see the partnership in action

He said: "The education project in India is an exciting development for the Foundation and I have agreed to visit the area to see first-hand the work that is being done.

"Everyone at the Club is very proud of this new venture and I believe that we can make a real difference and that the power of sport can help us to spread UNICEF's message of hope for vulnerable children."

The new partnership is one that Anne Shinkwin, UNICEF UK Director of Corporate Fundraising is hoping will help to raise both awareness and funds.

She said: "To have the commitment of Rangers, a club of international standing, is testament to the importance we both place on giving children the opportunity of an education and a future.

"Together, our partnership will make a real and decisive difference to whole communities across India. We look forward to many successful years working together."

The Foundation's appointment of an International Charity Partner comes as a result of a strategic review of its activities following the growing success of its charitable and fundraising concerns.

It also aims to match this level of funding within Scotland, donating £100,000 per year to local projects via a National Charity Partner and Community Charity Partner and the Foundation's ongoing Community Grants Scheme.

It broke through the £1million barrier in 2007 in terms of cash and in-kind donations made to charities and other worthwhile organisations.

Fairbridge in Scotland has already been named as the Foundation's Community Partner for this season and the new National Charity Partner will be announced in due course.

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1415075,00.html

:clap:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

does that mean we will have UNICEF on the tops like barca??

No, i think Carling will still be our sponcer (actually, doesnt that end this season?) so maybe we will? But will SDM want that? major sponcer gives much more money for us which we could give x to charity

FINALLY!

Now its time to get Unicef printed on the tops when Rangers visit France!

Would've rather seen a local charity, but its better than no sponsor on the front.

Good call (tu)

This is good news indeed, no reason why we can't have our sponsor and UNICEF on our tops.

definetly! we could put the UNICEF logo on the back of the tops or on the sleeves! a lot of Austrian teams have multiple sponsors plastered all over their shirts and shorts which looks awfull but done in a decent manner it would be a great way of showing our support of a great charity and raising more funds for it!

This is good news indeed, no reason why we can't have our sponsor and UNICEF on our tops.

definetly! we could put the UNICEF logo on the back of the tops or on the sleeves! a lot of Austrian teams have multiple sponsors plastered all over their shirts and shorts which looks awfull but done in a decent manner it would be a great way of showing our support of a great charity and raising more funds for it!

Great idea, I would support that (tu)

Guest therabbitt

Great idea, I would support that (tu)

(tu)

Great news.

I haven't bought a Rangers shirt since they were debased by sponsors logos. But, I would buy one sporting UNICEF.

So, come on Rangers, give us the choice - you'll sell more shirts than ever. Especially to those like me who cannot accept the way the shirt has been defaced for decades for the sake of a couple of extra bawbees.

Great news.

I haven't bought a Rangers shirt since they were debased by sponsors logos. But, I would buy one sporting UNICEF.

So, come on Rangers, give us the choice - you'll sell more shirts than ever. Especially to those like me who cannot accept the way the shirt has been defaced for decades for the sake of a couple of extra bawbees.

YOu know you can get them without the "ads" on them :)