Is there a 'best player in the world'?

Danny

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lampard and Gerrard>Iniesta and Deco

Iniesta is the type of player the English dream of producing. Someone was talking hypothetically about Messi being in the EPL, but if Iniesta came, he'd easily outshine Gerrard and Lampard on a regular basis.

Deco already is. Best player in the EPL right now by some distance. Yes, even better than Ronaldo.

And he isnt even in the same league as Iniesta, which for me, says it all.

At his peak, Zidane had a tad more than a 'claim' to that title.

I'd go as far to say that he strolled it.

What ever??

Better than Pele and Maradona?

Equally as good, IMO.

Maradona is by far the best player who ever lived. Pele is a distant second, while Zidane doesn't even get close to the Bests and Cruyffs for me.

I agree with the first part. Maradona and Pele are just on a different plateau all together. Personally, i rate Pele higher than Maradona, but not by a massive distance.

For me, Zidane easily takes a place at the "second tier table" alongside the likes of di Stefano, Cruyff, Puskás and Beckenbauer.

I disagree but sense I am outnumbered on this :)

I agree Maradona is the best ever but to see Zizou doesn't come close to Cruyff or Best is nonsense.

Zidane at his peak was frightening. France 98, Euro 2000, CL final vs Leverkusen. Even the WC 2006 he ran that competition until he mauled Materazzi.

:D

Figo was superior at Euro 2000 by a mile, and Pirlo was the best player at WC 2006. To suggest Zidane was the best at WC2006 is ridiculous.

When it mattered Zizou stepped up in the WC2006. In the group stage the whole french team was anonymous. That match against Brazil Zidane put in one of the greatest ever performances. And until he headered Materazzi he ran the show in the final.and that was when every man and his dog has said Zizou was miles past his best and shouldn't even had been in the team, how he proved everyone wrong.

The Ronaldo thread got me thinking. I've been considering this issue for a while.

Once upon a time there was no contest that Pele was the best player in the world. Then it was Maradona.

And in between, you overlooked Cruijff. Who I rate higher than Pele, because he didn't play mickey mouse Brazilian league all his life.

This is true.

Mikey Mouse Dutch league and NASL most of his career!

The Mickey Mouse Dutch league which spawned four European champion titles between 1970 and 1975 ?

Iniesta is the type of player the English dream of producing. Someone was talking hypothetically about Messi being in the EPL, but if Iniesta came, he'd easily outshine Gerrard and Lampard on a regular basis.

Deco already is. Best player in the EPL right now by some distance. Yes, even better than Ronaldo.

Hmmm. Iniesta is an interesting player - very different to Deco. He's more of a workhorse - a team player who really links things together but perhaps isn't the most gifted on the ball despite being a winger by nature. Whereas Deco is just sheer class in a glass and makes other players look average. He'd be in my world 11 above Kaka right now. In terms of that position. Can't believe Chelsea got him so cheap. £8M quid or so. He's worth £30M+ minimum. So many of his Chelsea team mates have come out and said he is the best player they've played with. Mind you, they used to play alongside Sidwell :D

I wouldn't really compare the two at the end of the day - but you can compare Lampard/Deco/Gerrard as they're all loosely similar players.

What about Bob Malcolm?

There it is! :rolleyes:

In his day you just can't dispute his quality.

Best passer of a ball at Rangers at one point. ^_^

*grits teeth and tries really hard not to get involved*

The Ronaldo thread got me thinking. I've been considering this issue for a while.

Once upon a time there was no contest that Pele was the best player in the world. Then it was Maradona.

And in between, you overlooked Cruijff. Who I rate higher than Pele, because he didn't play mickey mouse Brazilian league all his life.

This is true.

The Mickey Mouse Dutch league which spawned four European champion titles between 1970 and 1975 ?

Yip.

One team league. Ajax.

Feyernoord had a good season.

Plus Cruyff only played in Holland till 73.

I agree Maradona is the best ever but to see Zizou doesn't come close to Cruyff or Best is nonsense.

Zidane at his peak was frightening. France 98, Euro 2000, CL final vs Leverkusen. Even the WC 2006 he ran that competition until he mauled Materazzi.

Figo was superior at Euro 2000 by a mile, and Pirlo was the best player at WC 2006. To suggest Zidane was the best at WC2006 is ridiculous.

When it mattered Zizou stepped up in the WC2006.

Yes, yes he did :lol: right into Matrix's chest.

In the group stage the whole french team was anonymous. That match against Brazil Zidane put in one of the greatest ever performances.

<cr> Brazil were criminally awful in the world cup. That is no barometer.

And until he headered Materazzi he ran the show in the final.and that was when every man and his dog has said Zizou was miles past his best and shouldn't even had been in the team, how he proved everyone wrong.

He wasn't shit, don't get me wrong. But to say he was the main man at the world cup is plain incorrect imo.

When it mattered Zizou stepped up in the WC2006. In the group stage the whole french team was anonymous. That match against Brazil Zidane put in one of the greatest ever performances. And until he headered Materazzi he ran the show in the final.and that was when every man and his dog has said Zizou was miles past his best and shouldn't even had been in the team, how he proved everyone wrong.

He was absolutely unbelievable in that game against Brazil. That was supposed to be Ronaldinho's game, but even Pele admitted that he was given a masterclass by the big 34 year old. :)

He was absolutely phenomenal against Spain in that tournament as well.

This is true.

Yip.

One team league. Ajax.

No way we settle this argument so I'm dropping it. :D

The tag of best player in the world changes from week to week. But you will have a small group of players in the top 5 leagues(EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga) who could be considered it.

Bundesliga is no longer considered a top league.

You have 2 heavyweights - England and Spain.

Then the next level down - Italy.

Then Ligue 1, Eredivisie and Portugal. That's the one the Bundesliga is in these days.

As for your basic point, not sure I can agree. There aren't any players at Juve or Inter considered, right now, individually, to be the greatest players in the world. Only Ibrahimovic maybe gets in right now out of those two. And that's an outside bet.

Milan is probably the only team who own a contender - Kaka - and potentially Ronaldinho.

And how many in France? Benzema is the only one who springs to mind for me.

He was absolutely unbelievable in that game against Brazil. That was supposed to be Ronaldinho's game, but even Pele admitted that he was given a masterclass by the big 34 year old. :)

Bugs was lousy the whole tournament. And Pele is thick as pigshit :)

He was absolutely phenomenal against Spain in that tournament as well.

I would agree THAT game he did play well - as did the whole team.

Then Ligue 1, Eredivisie and Portugal. That's the one the Bundesliga is in these days.

I have to vehemently disagree here. The standard of football is much higher in Bundesliga than in Ere and Sagres. Ligue 1 is alright but too stiff and low scoring for popular tastes.

This is true.

Yip.

One team league. Ajax.

No way we settle this argument so I'm dropping it. :D

I win. Cruyff sucks :P

IMO it's Maradona. Everytime he got the ball there was an air of anticipation. Unbelievably talented.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Hmmm. Iniesta is an interesting player - very different to Deco. He's more of a workhorse - a team player who really links things together but perhaps isn't the most gifted on the ball despite being a winger by nature. Whereas Deco is just sheer class in a glass and makes other players look average. He'd be in my world 11 above Kaka right now. In terms of that position. Can't believe Chelsea got him so cheap. £8M quid or so. He's worth £30M+ minimum. So many of his Chelsea team mates have come out and said he is the best player they've played with. Mind you, they used to play alongside Sidwell :D

I wouldn't really compare the two at the end of the day - but you can compare Lampard/Deco/Gerrard as they're all loosely similar players.

Iniesta's new "floating role" reminds me very much of the role Deco played at Porto. His vision, touch and pass is just truly stunning. For me, there isnt a more destructive midfielder in the world just now. He's been pivotal to Barca this season, and he seems to just get better from game to game. To think Real Madrid almost had him. :(

But you're right, £8M was an absolute snip for Deco. His career had just stagnated at Barca and there isnt a better manager for him to work under than Scolari.

The tag of best player in the world changes from week to week. But you will have a small group of players in the top 5 leagues(EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga) who could be considered it.

Bundesliga is no longer considered a top league.

You have 2 heavyweights - England and Spain.

Then the next level down - Italy.

As for your basic point, not sure I can agree. There aren't any players at Juve or Inter considered, right now, individually, to be the greatest players in the world. Only Ibrahimovic maybe gets in right now out of those two. And that's an outside bet.

Milan is probably the only team who own a contender - Kaka - and potentially Ronaldinho.

And how many in France? Benzema is the only one who springs to mind for me.

It is all about your own opinion. I'd say Ligue 1 and Bundesliga are much better than the Bwin Liga and Eredivisie.

As for the Inter and Juve teams I'd say Buffon, Chiellini, Maicon, Mancini and Ibrahimovic are all up there with the best players in the world.

On current form Gourcuff is one who you could definitely count in from Ligue 1(obviously a lot less from Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga than EPL, La Liga and even Serie A).

It is all about your own opinion. I'd say Ligue 1 and Bundesliga are much better than the Bwin Liga and Eredivisie.

Hate being anal, but it's not Bwin anymore, it's Liga Sagres now. :)