Is there a 'best player in the world'?

Danny

The Ronaldo thread got me thinking. I've been considering this issue for a while.

Once upon a time there was no contest that Pele was the best player in the world. Then it was Maradona.

Then Gullit was considered it. Then for a while Ronaldinho was it.

Nowadays there doesn't seem to be *one* best player - it seems to be an accolade which jumps around from player to player, with about 5 or 6 chaps contesting it.

In my humble opinion, in no order, the best group of players would be (ignoring current form) Torres, Villa, Kaka, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Messi, Deco.

But from one minute to the next it varies regarding who's the out and out best.

There is no Pele or Maradona anymore.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Football is so much more widely covered now a days it's easier to pass judgement on many more players. Also players value to their team is considered more now a days ie Terry or Iniesta who don't always necessarily make the headlines but contribute to the team every bit as much whereas Pele and Maradona would score the goals and do the eye catching stuff.

I may be wrong! :unsure:

It's Xavi for me, all day long.

But you can break that down into so many categories - Best striker is Ruud, best 'young player' is Higuain etc.

What makes the best striker better than the best defender or vice versa though? I see your point Danny, it's a hard one to call.

The Ronaldo thread got me thinking. I've been considering this issue for a while.

Once upon a time there was no contest that Pele was the best player in the world. Then it was Maradona.

And in between, you overlooked Cruijff. Who I rate higher than Pele, because he didn't play mickey mouse Brazilian league all his life.

And in between, you overlooked Cruijff. Who I rate higher than Pele, because he didn't play mickey mouse Brazilian league all his life.

I also overlooked Best and, as they all say in this thread, Zidane.

It was just a summary to make a point :)

Lampard and Gerrard>Iniesta and Deco

Iniesta is the type of player the English dream of producing. Someone was talking hypothetically about Messi being in the EPL, but if Iniesta came, he'd easily outshine Gerrard and Lampard on a regular basis.

This is true.

Mikey Mouse Dutch league and NASL most of his career!

At his peak, Zidane had a tad more than a 'claim' to that title.

I'd go as far to say that he strolled it.

What ever??

Better than Pele and Maradona?

Equally as good, IMO.

Maradona is by far the best player who ever lived. Pele is a distant second, while Zidane doesn't even get close to the Bests and Cruyffs for me.

Iniesta is the type of player the English dream of producing. Someone was talking hypothetically about Messi being in the EPL, but if Iniesta came, he'd easily outshine Gerrard and Lampard on a regular basis.

Deco already is. Best player in the EPL right now by some distance. Yes, even better than Ronaldo.

This is true.

Mikey Mouse Dutch league and NASL most of his career!

True, but was scintillating at the highest level there is - the world cup. And you can't ever take that away from him.

What ever??

Equally as good, IMO.

I don't dispute Zidane's quality. I'm not sure i would rank him above Pele or Maradona. Each to their own i suppose.

Deco already is. Best player in the EPL right now by some distance. Yes, even better than Ronaldo.

Overall? Not including form? Deco is better than Ronaldo?

What ever??

No, streets ahead on anybody else playing at the time.

As was Johan Cruyff....

What ever??

Equally as good, IMO.

I don't dispute Zidane's quality. I'm not sure i would rank him above Pele or Maradona. Each to their own i suppose.

I do. I never liked Zidane. I remember at the Euros in 2000 he got POTT while clearly Figo was the best player there. And for me Figo was always better than Zidane.

What ever??

Equally as good, IMO.

Maradona is by far the best player who ever lived. Pele is a distant second, while Zidane doesn't even get close to the Bests and Cruyffs for me.

I agree Maradona is the best ever but to see Zizou doesn't come close to Cruyff or Best is nonsense.

Zidane at his peak was frightening. France 98, Euro 2000, CL final vs Leverkusen. Even the WC 2006 he ran that competition until he mauled Materazzi.

What ever??

Equally as good, IMO.

I agree with the first part. Maradona and Pele are just on a different plateau all together. Personally, i rate Pele higher than Maradona, but not by a massive distance.

For me, Zidane easily takes a place at the "second tier table" alongside the likes of di Stefano, Cruyff, Puskás and Beckenbauer.

I agree Maradona is the best ever but to see Zizou doesn't come close to Cruyff or Best is nonsense.

Zidane at his peak was frightening. France 98, Euro 2000, CL final vs Leverkusen. Even the WC 2006 he ran that competition until he mauled Materazzi.

:D

Figo was superior at Euro 2000 by a mile, and Pirlo was the best player at WC 2006. To suggest Zidane was the best at WC2006 is ridiculous.