Walt: Give Kirk a fairer contract

WALTER SMITH has urged the Rangers paymasters to give Kirk Broadfoot the new improved deal he deserves.

Broadfoot’s Ibrox contract runs out at the end of next season. But Smith wants the full-back, left, tied up NOW to keep predators away.

Birmingham City are keeping tabs on his situation and SunSport revealed this week they are preparing a £2million swoop.

But Smith admits the former St Mirren skipper has earned a pay rise.

The gaffer said: “An improved deal? In all probability that will come.

“Kirk had a really good season last year and has cemented that this year.

“In the past he was inconsistent, but he’s settled down now.”

SunSport also revealed this week that Stevie Smith feared his Ibrox career was over.

The left-back thought he wasn’t wanted, but Smith insisted: “I spoke to Stevie and he might have misunderstood what I said to him.

“He is playing reserve games and that’s doing him no good whatsoever.

“I spoke to him about going out on loan and getting games under his belt — then we’ll all have a better chance to judge where he is and whether he can return to the team.

“In my 20-odd months here he’s managed just two games and he wasn’t match-fit for them.

“We’ve never seen the best of the lad, so the idea was to get him on loan and let him play.”

Smith also insisted he does NOT want to sell midfielder Kevin Thompson in January, with West Brom boss Tony Mowbray keen on his old Hibs star.

Smith added: “We have two months before the transfer window opens up — I don’t have a thought yet about what will happen.

“I want our good players here and we need them for the future when the number of games will hopefully increase.

“A few players may leave, but it won’t be the ones I see as being capable of taking us forward.”

Rangers face Caley at Ibrox today, with skipper Barry Ferguson set for a top-team return.

Smith can’t wait to team him with Pedro Mendes in a dream midfield.

He said: “Barry is in our thoughts. He’s ready after a reserve game. It’s just up to me now to decide how best he should be introduced.

“We have five games in the space of a couple of weeks and we want everyone involved.

“We’ll be able to get Barry back to full match fitness quite quickly.

“The midfield is an area where I want players who are all good at keeping the ball. I am looking forward to seeing how they all gel.

“Barry and Pedro are good midfielders and both have the capability of being attacking players or they can drop deeper.

“I have no fears about them complementing each other.

“I always feel that Kevin — although he doesn’t get the write-ups — also does very well for us in there.”

Kyle Lafferty, meanwhile, has been urged to remain patient.

The young Northern Ireland star was signed as a striker, but has been forced to play in midfield.

Smith added: “It’s been a sticky start for Kyle in the sense that injuries have upset his rhythm.

“I hope he settles down now and we’ll see a lot more of him in the future.

“Although he has played most of his football wide on the left for us and Burnley, I still see him as a central striker in the longer term.

“I’d like to see him get more experience there.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle1880563.ece

Smith also insisted he does NOT want to sell midfielder Kevin Thompson in January, with West Brom boss Tony Mowbray keen on his old Hibs star.

doh I'm glad we don't get the Sun delivered any more on a Saturday!

How depressing.

Kirk Broadfoot, our long-term right back. Enjoy.

But he puts in lots of effort, so that's all that matters (tu)

As many of us said last season, 'Effort over skill'

Dont see whats depressin about Broadfoot being our RB, hes shown hes capable of the job already <cr>

I don't know what games the Broadfoot haters are watching, but I think he is doing well. Better than Papac is doing on the left this season anyway!

Kirk has done well. He deserves an improved contract IMO.

Also god to see that Stvie Smith will go out on loan instead of being sold.

He could come back better than ever with some top team action behind him.

I'd rather sell him but I doubt any club would be stupid enough to spend £2m on him - if someone did, our manager would probably wave it away.

As TM said above, Kirk Broadfoot our long term RB or CB - how depressing!

How depressing.

Exactly we want a new right back he might be playing good the now but I still think he's no good enough does alot of daft things mostly away from home to clumbsy no balance and thats only a few things wrong with him <_<

I'd rather sell him but I doubt any club would be stupid enough to spend £2m on him - if someone did, our manager would probably wave it away.

As TM said above, Kirk Broadfoot our long term RB or CB - how depressing!

Have to agree. Stop gap, simply not good enough to be a long term solution.

:rangers: :unionflag:

Smith admits the former St Mirren skipper has earned a pay rise.

The gaffer said: “An improved deal? In all probability that will come.

“Kirk had a really good season last year and has cemented that this year.

Glad to hear it, Kirk deserves better.

The left-back thought he wasn’t wanted, but Smith insisted: “I spoke to Stevie and he might have misunderstood what I said to him.

“He is playing reserve games and that’s doing him no good whatsoever.

“I spoke to him about going out on loan and getting games under his belt — then we’ll all have a better chance to judge where he is and whether he can return to the team.

“In my 20-odd months here he’s managed just two games and he wasn’t match-fit for them.

“We’ve never seen the best of the lad, so the idea was to get him on loan and let him play.”

Going on a short term loan would be great, gets him match fit via competative matches rather the dire reserve games.

Smith also insisted he does NOT want to sell midfielder Kevin Thompson in January

Good ... possible captain material in my eyes.

Kyle Lafferty, meanwhile, has been urged to remain patient.

The young Northern Ireland star was signed as a striker, but has been forced to play in midfield.

Smith added: “It’s been a sticky start for Kyle in the sense that injuries have upset his rhythm.

“I hope he settles down now and we’ll see a lot more of him in the future.

“Although he has played most of his football wide on the left for us and Burnley, I still see him as a central striker in the longer term.

As was said, to get the experience, he needs to play there ... Lafferty/Boyd, very similar to Hately/McCoist.

All-in-all, a very positive interview and puts to bed a lot of rumours that have been flourishing recently,

How depressing.

But he puts in lots of effort, so that's all that matters (tu)

As many of us said last season, 'Effort over skill'

Boab - I would urge all naysayers to look over our games this season and see how many goals that Kirk has played a key role in - quite frankly he may be our best player right now even in a creative sense.

Plus he is solid in defense

He does deserve a new and better deal and I for one applaud a guy who has done all this on the basis of sheer hard work

How depressing.

:(

Aye, you are a cheery c*nt eh?

The lad is doing a good job. I'd rather have Kirk than you any day. He is totally committed with a great attitude towards the team. (tu)

How depressing.

The lad is doing a good job. I'd rather have Kirk than you any day. He is totally committed with a great attitude towards the team. (tu)

Yes, because im vying with Kirk Broadfoot for a place at right back in the current Rangers side. :rolleyes:

He's an honest player who tries his best, i agree. He also deserves credit for the work he put in at Murray Park during pre-season.

However, he really is not good enough to be a Rangers regular. Broadfoot should be a squad player and no more, and the fact he is considered as a constant just underlines the downsizing that's gone on in recent years.

How depressing.

Yes, because im vying with Kirk Broadfoot for a place at right back in the current Rangers side. :rolleyes:

He's an honest player who tries his best, i agree. He also deserves credit for the work he put in at Murray Park during pre-season.

However, he really is not good enough to be a Rangers regular. Broadfoot should be a squad player and no more, and the fact he is considered as a constant just underlines the downsizing that's gone on in recent years.

So who do we have that is better than him right now? Who in Scotland is better than him right now?

And if you go abroad for a replacement, how many millions would we need to spend to get better? I would say 6-8 million in todays market and then you dont know if they will settle

Chill mate, big Kirk is here to stay and I for one am happy about that

How depressing.

So who do we have that is better than him right now? Who in Scotland is better than him right now?

And if you go abroad for a replacement, how many millions would we need to spend to get better? I would say 6-8 million in todays market and then you dont know if they will settle

Chill mate, big Kirk is here to stay and I for one am happy about that

I'd say that Andreas Hinkle of the tarriers is a superior player.

To say that you would need £6M to £8M to replace Kirk Broadfoot is absolutely absurd. If Ewan Chester couldnt find a better RB than Broadfoot for under £2M/£1.5M, then the rumours about him being outrageously bad at his job are true.

How depressing.

I am dismayed that you have no confidence in him.

Your fault not his.

Good enough for Scotland but not good enough for you.

You will be saying Baz can't pass next. doh