Rangers v Real Madrid 1963-64 good clip

minstral

Thanks buddy, enjoyed that. Some great players on the pich for both sides. Rangers putting Real under sustained pressure. Not like some of our displays at Ibrox last season under Smith's tactics. Nevertheless he got a team with a good bunch of duds toa UEFA Final! Remarkable.

I remember thinking after the second game when they won handsomely in Madrid that they must have been some kind of Supermen. I couldnt believe Rangers being beaten like that, it just didnt seem possible ( to my young mind!)

However I think Real at that time must have been the greatest club side in the world.

I remember thinking after the second game when they won handsomely in Madrid that they must have been some kind of Supermen. I couldnt believe Rangers being beaten like that, it just didnt seem possible ( to my young mind!)

However I think Real at that time must have been the greatest club side in the world.

your are spot on they were some team and thats when football was played the correct way. not like the rubbish negative stuff that we have to watch in the modern game.

;) You sure they didn't play well at Ibrox purely due to the fear of being invaded by hundreds of Invalid Carriages?? :D

Great clip Minstral. Thanks for sharing (tu)

;) You sure they didn't play well at Ibrox purely due to the fear of being invaded by hundreds of Invalid Carriages?? :D

Ah yes..the little blue invalid cars...

I always wanted to find someone local who had one, thinking you could just drive in and park...and I could squeeze in with them !

Im sure they must have had some kind of pass though...

I always wanted to find someone local who had one, thinking you could just drive in and park...and I could squeeze in with them !

They were still a common sight in the early 80's were they not? I'm sure you had to show your Invalidity book to get in.

HaHA!! reminds me of the time my cousin stole [borrowed] his da's 3 wheeler & 4 of us squeesed into it & tried to go to easter rd. we wre do'in about 60mph. on the moterway, got as far as Hamilton [whitch was miraculous] before blowing the engine. Ah happy days.

An excellent clip. Seeing Slim Jim mix it with Puscas et all is just fantastic.

What a sight to see the great man, Di Stefano, enter the pitch of Ibrox. Sure, we were fecked over in the end, but Inter were the only team that could have stopped that side that year.

Did we used to get crowds of 70-80,000 against the likes of St. Mirren back in the 60's and 70's ?

we had a crowd of 127,940 against st mirren in the scottish cup final in 1961-62 at hampden.

:clap: you wouldn't get that these days.

Wonderfull clip,M8. Brings back a lot of memories. 3 of us had travelled over from Belfast for the match.

The old British European Airways terminal was in St. Enochs Sq. then and we had gone down the next morning to catch the bus to the aiport. As we waited we saw Gento crossing the road with a package and he went into the Hotel there. We followed him out of curiosity and found the whole Real team standing around the foyer waiting on their coach. I got every players autograph on the match programme. I gave that programme to my brother when I immigrated, I,ll have to ask him if he still has it.

It must be worth something now I imagine.

By the way, does that old hotel in St. Enochs Sq. still exist? I remember being there after a Scottish cup-final against Kilmarnock ( I think) and there were about 10,000/15,000 Gers fans in the Sq. The team came out onto the balcony with the cup. If there had been a roof over the Sq. it would have been lifted with the roar that went up.

It seems as though we are becoming 2 of those boring old farts, M8, always reminiscening about " the good old days".

Wonderfull clip,M8. Brings back a lot of memories. 3 of us had travelled over from Belfast for the match.

The old British European Airways terminal was in St. Enochs Sq. then and we had gone down the next morning to catch the bus to the aiport. As we waited we saw Gento crossing the road with a package and he went into the Hotel there. We followed him out of curiosity and found the whole Real team standing around the foyer waiting on their coach. I got every players autograph on the match programme. I gave that programme to my brother when I immigrated, I,ll have to ask him if he still has it.

By the way, does that old hotel in St. Enochs Sq. still exist? I remember being there after a Scottish cup-final against Kilmarnock ( I think) and there were about 10,000/15,000 Gers fans in the Sq. The team came out onto the balcony with the cup. If there had been a roof over the Sq. it would have been lifted with the roar that went up.

It seems as though we are becoming 2 of those boring old farts, M8, always reminiscening about " the good old days".

i am pleased someone else remembers when the payers went back to st enochs square and paraded the cup. those were fantastic days and we are not boring, the good thing is we seen the best days of following rangers and would never swop the memories. :rangers:

i am pleased someone else remembers when the payers went back to st enochs square and paraded the cup. those were fantastic days and we are not boring, the good thing is we seen the best days of following rangers and would never swop the memories. :rangers:

remember after st mirren final going back to the st,enoch sq.seeing the team on the balcony above the door will always live with me.about the madrid game we all felt we had a chance in the second leg but for some reason scot symon sent out a very young team and it finished 6/1. maybe was getting the youngsters blooded because he knew we were in for a lesson