The Rangers Fan of 2008 is a strange breed and one I often fail to recognise

Tontospal

But how can a football club retain an identity with a religion which is - and I mean no offence - withering away? It defies logic that people are more willing to express their religious identity through a Saturday than a Sunday.

Religion as a belief system is, I agree, withering away.

But it is also a cultural phenomenon, and I could be wrong, I have no research or the like to support it, I think the cultural bit is stronger than ever in my time.

This is based just on my observations. septic are much more oirish than they were when I was younger.

Look at their ultimate heroes from lisbon.

Ronnie, Tommy, Jimmy and the like. No Aidens or Cillians.

When jimmy vinegar signed his agent was proud to proclaim that he had joined the biggest catholic club in the world.

They seem to me to be more rc than ever.

On our side, which songs get Ibrox going?

The Sash and Derry's Walls, Father's Advice from time to time.

The Club may not like it, but I think our Protestantism is asserting itself.

In my own case, as an Atheist, albeit from a Protestant upbringing. I sing the Protestant/ unionist songs with more gusto than I did before UEFA decided I am a bigot.

Fuck them. I was wavering, but their outrageous attacks on us have made me close to hard core.

I can agree with pretty much all of that. But their trumpeting of their perceived cultural ID makes me more contemptuous of them than ever: it would be a bit rich for me to show my contempt through the medium of an (in my case, equally synthetic) 'British' cultural ID.

I don't know how to express it well. I enjoy the banter but it's all theatrics afaic. Real life again starts when I leave the ground, when I read some posts it kinda feels like it's the be all and end all of existance and it just can't be - we can be fanatical but that's not right. How do I come on a forum and reply to someone who plainly feels the weight and traditions of decades being abased before the alter of progress and say 'man, you've got your priorities all wrong! All this stuff...it doesn't actually matter if JVoH thinks 'they' are the world's biggest RC club, or if Terry Butcher was inspired by a photo of the Queen. Maybe it would be better just to come straight out with it, but it seems impolite.

TBH AndyP (and Manticore with a non - question answer!) I strongly agree with your last point (and agree with both of you in many ways) - I am storngly against tying the club to any Religious or Political cause, why?.

I used to be happy to sing the songs and beat my chest, because it was just football and it was all a wind up - but now it is taken seriously, and often to the detriment of Rangers. It used to be that on a Monday when you went to work, with some Celtic supporters the chat was about the football, and nothing better than the GIRFUY moments - and nothing worse than those moments against you. But it was about the football. Now, however, whether due to the press, the fans, UEFA or whomever a lot of the 'chat' at work is why we/ they sing these songs or have these views. I realised I am, and was, embarressed by this chat- I don't want to defend why we are Protestant or Unionist I want to discuss football - being a Rangers fan does not make me have to believe in these causes and why should I defend them at work becuase I am a Rangers fan. Now, by some, I get called less of a fan if I dont 'conform' - so I decided to actively position against it. I dont care what 'they' do, and I like to wind them up as much as the next man, but not at any level. I do care about what 'we' do? and I dont believe in taking a more Protestant / Unionist view JUST because 'they' are taking a more 'Irish' view. To me the question is 'What is what is best for Rangers?' - and, in my opinion, that is dropping these associations!

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most fans on forums who call themselves Rangers fans are nothing like the fans who actually attend matches

They are just mouthpieces who try to stir up trouble and give the less experienced young fans a false and wrong impression

The majority of Rangers fans are loyalist unionist protestants and thats what they believe in whether people likke it or not

Bears dont get into our club before matches unless they are orange unionist and staunch proddys

No new age anti-bile Murray arseholes permitted, if they do get in and they start their shite about singing our old traditional songs they ae sent packing with several boots up their arses :angry2:

The members of your club must love watching the Catholic players at the club....do you all howl in disbelief if any of them score.

Thank G*d your club is mired in another age and doesn't represent the majority of society today!

It represents the majority of Rangers fans always has and always will for the forseeable future, looks as if you are in the wee miority

Unlucly pal !! <_<

what supporters club is it sounds like the place to be

Not too far from Ibrox but I cannot reveal the name, this is not the appropriate place to do it, is it ?? :rolleyes:

I would hazard a guess at the Blue Star, top club, if your in the mood for some pre match culture.. (tu)

Whether certain types like it or not Rangers and the Protestant faith will always be connected. While we welcome all comers on and off the park the heritage and tradition will always remain the same no matter the knockers who come along and try to rewrite history. The fan base and the Cub will always remain the majority Protestant and Unionist. Nothing will change it not even the chip, chip of the romanist mhedia and pholiticians. The tide is already turning against these reptiles and they will reap the whirlwind. We have a No Surrender attitude that will not wither and die. We Are Rangers. We Are The People. :unionflag: :sherlock:

Ra! Ra! yawnnnnnnnnn.... !

Its changing now, tough for you to admit - but it is - no matter how strident your denials, every day we become more welcoming as a support to all comers, the majority whom dont care what our politics or religion is but because of the football - Rangers are about to begin another period of dominance in the game and thats what we all enjoy.

what makes you think we are heading for another period of dominance. at the moment we are a average team full of average players who keep throwing away stupid points.

BP9 do you read posts before you reply to them?

Do you ever post without posing a question ?

What is wrong with asking questions?

Nothing - I just note no comment, only questions - perhaps it is beacuse you are so even minded and just want to find out all the wrguments before formulating an opinion of your own - I hope to see some conclusions from you one day once you come of the fence.

It's quite nice to be accused of sitting on the fence.

I more often get pelters about my opinions.

Whether certain types like it or not Rangers and the Protestant faith will always be connected. While we welcome all comers on and off the park the heritage and tradition will always remain the same no matter the knockers who come along and try to rewrite history. The fan base and the Cub will always remain the majority Protestant and Unionist. Nothing will change it not even the chip, chip of the romanist mhedia and pholiticians. The tide is already turning against these reptiles and they will reap the whirlwind. We have a No Surrender attitude that will not wither and die. We Are Rangers. We Are The People. :unionflag: :sherlock:

Ra! Ra! yawnnnnnnnnn.... !

Its changing now, tough for you to admit - but it is - no matter how strident your denials, every day we become more welcoming as a support to all comers, the majority whom dont care what our politics or religion is but because of the football - Rangers are about to begin another period of dominance in the game and thats what we all enjoy.

what makes you think we are heading for another period of dominance. at the moment we are a average team full of average players who keep throwing away stupid points.

Just gut feel and faith - sometimes thats all there is - it may not come to pass but I tingle in anticipation. Mind you my mate says that as an optomist I can only have my expectations let down, and as a pessamist he can only have his expectations exceeded ! :lol:

Just gut feel and faith - sometimes thats all there is - it may not come to pass but I tingle in anticipation. Mind you my mate says that as an optomist I can only have my expectations let down, and as a pessamist he can only have his expectations exceeded ! :lol:

We believe, we do not have faith. You spell like a tim too.

You believe what you want I have faith in Walter and SDM.

Most fans on forums who call themselves Rangers fans are nothing like the fans who actually attend matches

They are just mouthpieces who try to stir up trouble and give the less experienced young fans a false and wrong impression

The majority of Rangers fans are loyalist unionist protestants and thats what they believe in whether people likke it or not

Says the man with 5 posts! :lol:

Aye you're faithful through & through alright..........

you walter and sdm the three blind mice.

I'm a season ticket holder, I think the majority of fans round about me just want to watch and enjoy the football. Like me i would rather leave all this bigotry behind us, nothing wrong with abit of a wind up, I have just woken up to all. I use to sing all the songs and look at myself as being a real unionist supporter but what has it really got to do with me. Why did i start supporting rangers? It damn wasnt because they were a protestant club. The troubles in nothern ireland are nothing to sing about. alot of lives were taken, bet they would do anything to get there love ones back on both sides. I dont think there is anything wrong with the fans in 2008. I feel that we are slowly waken up to what is important.

AND THAT IS RANGERS FC

FOLLOW WITH PRIDE!!!

bp9 i have been told to be nice and not tell you to fuck of i think i can still call you a twat but not sure, so i will try to be nice by asking you a simple question how many prozac do you start the day with. I am not trying to insult you and i am not trying demean you,but it is the only way i can see how you come to your conclusions. Waits to be told off .

I'm a season ticket holder, I think the majority of fans round about me just want to watch and enjoy the football. Like me i would rather leave all this bigotry behind us, nothing wrong with abit of a wind up, I have just woken up to all. I use to sing all the songs and look at myself as being a real unionist supporter but what has it really got to do with me. Why did i start supporting rangers? It damn wasnt because they were a protestant club. The troubles in nothern ireland are nothing to sing about. alot of lives were taken, bet they would do anything to get there love ones back on both sides. I dont think there is anything wrong with the fans in 2008. I feel that we are slowly waken up to what is important.

AND THAT IS RANGERS FC

FOLLOW WITH PRIDE!!!

so you dont sing the songs anymore, plus what bigotry are you on about.

AND THAT IS RANGERS FC

FOLLOW WITH PRIDE!!!

no pope of rome??

AND THAT IS RANGERS FC

FOLLOW WITH PRIDE!!!

no pope of rome??

thats not bigoted.

AND THAT IS RANGERS FC

FOLLOW WITH PRIDE!!!

Great post - 100% agreement from me!

AND THAT IS RANGERS FC

FOLLOW WITH PRIDE!!!

Great post - 100% agreement from me!

we will never go away and you guys are in the minority.

bp9 i have been told to be nice and not tell you to fuck of i think i can still call you a twat but not sure, so i will try to be nice by asking you a simple question how many prozac do you start the day with. I am not trying to insult you and i am not trying demean you,but it is the only way i can see how you come to your conclusions. Waits to be told off .

Well telling me to fk off usually means that you have no legitimate arguments and are resorting to some sort of bullying tactic to get me to change. I assume thats why you want to tell me to fk off - you know your argument is weak, you are getting angry becase you have no real rejoinders with which to debate with, and you turn that anger at yourself, into anger at me and feel the need to call me names. BTW I get much more hurt if you call me a tim - but not much more. Perhaps if you call me a tim lots of times you will make me wither away under pressure of your arguement. :harhar: (sorry couldn't help being childish - must go take more Prozac!)

AND THAT IS RANGERS FC

FOLLOW WITH PRIDE!!!

no pope of rome??

How is No Pope of Rome a bigoted song? Please explain that to me. If you can do that, i shall subscribe to your train of thought on some other Rangers-related matters.

AND THAT IS RANGERS FC

FOLLOW WITH PRIDE!!!

no pope of rome??

thats not bigoted.

What songs have Rangers fans sung in the past that have been bigoted?

Or have we never sung any bigoted songs, it's only Celtic that do that?