So SDM doesn't like fan sites

BallochBear

This article is written by Jon Gaunt who was sacked by Talksport for calling a councillors views Naziesque, even Liberty who he hates with a passion is on his side, makes interesting reading IMO.

While I am far from being a Liberal Leftie and I do think SDM has done a good job, I strongly disagree with him on the topic of fan sites.

"I HAVE crossed swords a few times with Shami Chakrabarti from Liberty.

I even dubbed her Britain’s most dangerous woman for her stance over the human rights of terror suspects.

But who should come riding to my aid after I was sacked from my TalkSport radio show?

Yes, that same Shami Chakrabarti.

People ask if if I’m embarrassed she is defending me and my right to free speech. The answer is an unequivocal NO.

Am I impressed by the way she sticks to her principles? YES.

Will I be agreeing with her on every subject from now on? NO.

It was my friend, supporter and SAS hero Andy McNab who phoned me and said Shami wanted to talk. I thought it was a wind-up, but Andy insisted she was genuine and wanted to fight in my corner.

They say that adversity breeds strange bedfellows, and it has been a bizarre week. So many people who I’d have thought would have been polishing their shoes to dance on the grave of my broadcasting career have actually instead sprung to my defence.

Thousands of listeners have sent in letters of protest and I’ve even had unexpected backing from the Guardian and Independent newspapers. But it is Shami’s support along with that of Gurkha VC hero Tul Bahadur Pun that are the most significant.

You may remember we all campaigned for Mr Pun to come and live in Britain last year when he was at death’s door.

This week he sent me a letter that moved my girls and me to tears. It ended with him saying: “I may have won a Victoria Cross fighting for Britain, but Mr Gaunt was one of the first people to stand by me in my hour of need. He gave me a voice when I did not have a voice. He made people listen to my plight, and that of my Gurkha brothers, and brought hope to us in our campaign for justice. I feel it is my duty to stand by Jon Gaunt, now, in his hour of need.”

These words made me realise this wasn’t just a row about me. It is about freedom of expression and free speech. As you know, I have always shot from the lip in my columns and on the radio, and I am grateful to The Sun and TalkSport for allowing me that privilege.

I have always loved it when readers and listeners have engaged with me and discussed, agreed, argued or violently disagreed with my opinions.

As politicians have become more disconnected from us, it has become more and more important to have that vital and non-PC debate on phone-ins, online forums and letters pages.

That’s why I love looking through the discussion topics on MySun. You not only get a feeling for what real people are thinking and how big political decisions are affecting them and theirs, you also get insights and opinions that you will never hear anywhere else.

These aren’t the opinions you hear on Question Time or Radio Four or 5 Dead, but places like MySun and TalkSport are the voice of Britain. I guess I never realised how many other people, including Shami, thought the same thing. In fact she went so far as to say that “the airwaves of a great democracy would be the poorer for his (my) absence”.

I’m not so sure about that, but what I do know is that Mr Pun and thousands like him fought for freedom of expression and it is something still worth fighting for today.

In an increasingly PC world, with the thought police on every corner, I’m just glad people of all political persuasions are so passionate about protecting free speech. But one friend had a different view. He said: “Gaunty, all these Lefties backing you . . . it’s political correctness gone mad.”

Thanks for your support. "

Take note SDM, we can say what we like even if you don't like it.

we can say what we like even if you don't like it.

I can't remember who said this, but it's true: "Free speech does not give you the right to stand up in a crowded theatre and shout, FIRE!"

I always understood that to mean you should use your right to express yourself with a sense of responsibility. And, whilst you are right that you can say what you want, you shouldn't think that means doing so is without consequence.

As an aside - I'm delighted that fat diddy is off the airwaves.

we can say what we like even if you don't like it.

I can't remember who said this, but it's true: "Free speech does not give you the right to stand up in a crowded theatre and shout, FIRE!"

I always understood that to mean you should use your right to express yourself with a sense of responsibility. And, whilst you are right that you can say what you want, you shouldn't think that means doing so is without consequence.

As an aside - I'm delighted that fat diddy is off the airwaves.

100% Correct - Free speech is an entitlement to be used responsibly - I dont thing SDM ever said we have no right as fans to express oir views - he did have a go at those he felt let the side down by their comments and statements on such sites.

Also if you want to use the free speech argument doesnt SDM have the same right to air his critical views of some fans actions as you do to be critical of him?