John Fleck

Bobby83

Walter is under a shitload of pressure, but look at Gabriel Rodriguez or Carlos Ischia.

In terms of fan pressure and the implication that defeat has on either River Plate or Boca Juniors respectively, they have a much harder and more pressurised job than Smith, yet both clubs' record of bringing through young talent is absolutely impeccable and on a different planet to ours.

Given that Walter is under a certain amount of pressure, why play the poorer player just because he's older, when the better youngster is on the bench?

Exactly what i was getting at, as i posted before i really think that WS wont play youngsters is because they are untested and sees it as too much of a risk.

There's more risk in playing a poor older player over a young and exciting better player, surely?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he'll be wasted. I'd like to see him be given more of a chance with more first team opportunities.

bet you'd like the opportunity to have your wicked way with him MC :pipe:

No, I prefer men not boys! :pipe:

Walter is under a shitload of pressure, but look at Gabriel Rodriguez or Carlos Ischia.

In terms of fan pressure and the implication that defeat has on either River Plate or Boca Juniors respectively, they have a much harder and more pressurised job than Smith, yet both clubs' record of bringing through young talent is absolutely impeccable and on a different planet to ours.

Given that Walter is under a certain amount of pressure, why play the poorer player just because he's older, when the better youngster is on the bench?

Exactly what i was getting at, as i posted before i really think that WS wont play youngsters is because they are untested and sees it as too much of a risk.

There's more risk in playing a poor older player over a young and exciting better player, surely?

Possibly, but he'll be thinking that he knows how his experienced players act under pressure. He really should put 1 youngster on this weekend, if things aren't working take him off. That way there isn't much of a risk.

IMO though, the league is far more important this year than bringing through youngsters. If we don't win it then its another year of extreme pressure where WS will be reluctant to play youngsters. If we do win it, it gives us breathing space to take risks, because at the end of the day thats what it is, a risk. They are untried at this level, couple that with the fans expectancy then it COULD be disastrous for them.

Possibly, but he'll be thinking that he knows how his experienced players act under pressure. He really should put 1 youngster on this weekend, if things aren't working take him off. That way there isn't much of a risk.

IMO though, the league is far more important this year than bringing through youngsters. If we don't win it then its another year of extreme pressure where WS will be reluctant to play youngsters. If we do win it, it gives us breathing space to take risks, because at the end of the day thats what it is, a risk. They are untried at this level, couple that with the fans expectancy then it COULD be disastrous for them.

Again, I don't get your logic.

McCulloch and Adam (for example) simply aren't good enough to be selected on their 'experience' alone, yet we've all seen Fleck score a solo run from his own box in the dying minutes of a cup final against Celtic, albeit against a younger age-group that the 1st team. Don't think I'm using one example though, because Fleck has been outstanding for years.

I just think the experience argument is a really easy get out clause for Smith and people who defend Smith stoutly over whatever he does - I don't buy it.

No-one is saying we should have a first 11 full of under 21s, but if they are good enough then they're old enough, and for me both Aaron and Fleck are good enough. Question is though who do you drop? Davis, Mendes and Ferguson are always going to be first choice, you can't really drop Miller and Boyd because together they are doing well so that only leaves the left side of midfield, and at this moment in time I think Beasley should be given a proper chance at it, but the next choice after him should be either Aaron or Fleck, NOT Adam or McCulloch.

Again, I don't get your logic.

McCulloch and Adam (for example) simply aren't good enough to be selected on their 'experience' alone, yet we've all seen Fleck score a solo run from his own box in the dying minutes of a cup final against Celtic, albeit against a younger age-group that the 1st team. Don't think I'm using one example though, because Fleck has been outstanding for years.

I just think the experience argument is a really easy get out clause for Smith and people who defend Smith stoutly over whatever he does - I don't buy it.

How do you know how a youngster is going to take to first team football?

How do you know the experienced player handles first team football?

These are, IMO, are question WS asks himself.

Personally i would love to see our young talent coming in, but not at the risk of losing the league.

Yes the question will be, how do you know they wont handle it? nobody does, but that is the point, nobody knows how they are going to react and that uncertainty is a big risk at the moment.

I'd base it on their outstanding performances for the Reserves and Under-19's, designed to be the closest thing to first team action.

I'd base it on their outstanding performances for the Reserves and Under-19's, designed to be the closest thing to first team action.

Its still not at the same level as first team, infact its a huge step.

I agree with you that a lot of youngsters are better than these so called players, but right now its all about how a player handles pressure.