The Two Towers

D'Artagnan

“Songs are funny things. They can slip across borders. Proliferate in prisons. Penetrate hard shells. I always believed that the right song at the right moment could change history.”

(Pete Seeger)

The Sash and Derry’s Walls.

They stand like two huge towers amongst our support, revered, respected and rejoiced. They are more than just songs...they are a symbolism, providing insight into who and what we are as a support and as a football club.

They stand like guardians of our past, the custodians of our heritage, the sentinels of our history. They are as imposing as a centre half pairing of Woodburn and Woodburn. And oh how our enemies would love to see them banned sine die. For they realise the iconic significance of these two giants.

One speaks of the unique bond of the Ulsterman and his Scottish brethren. Of an ancient covenant which has proven unbreakable throughout the years...though many have tried. In an age of broken promises or worthless pledges, and to a generation raised on spin, it provides a timely reminder that things have not always been this way, nor need they be.

Its ancient values swim against a tide of compromise, sell out in our society and an attitude of trying to appease all. It is unequivocal, uncompromising and defiant. Perhaps one day men will remember that unity, religion, laws and freedom are not negotiated, they are paid for in blood and sacrifice.

The other speaks of a struggle against seemingly impossible odds. About man’s willingness to place his beliefs, the things he cherishes above all things, even life itself. It serves as a testimony to the courage and determination of men to succeed against all odds, a steadfast refusal to give up, to never lose hope. It is a message of victory for faith, hope and loyalty.

Its words and the actions of those who manned those walls have inspired generations. Its spirit was alive at the Somme and broke through the German lines. That same spirit manifested itself in more recent times with a steadfast refusal to be intimidated by the terrorist bullet and bomb.

I don’t know if these songs will ever change history. What I do know is that if they are taken from us as a support, then our history is being taken from us.

Perhaps it's time we as a support became sentinels for the custodians of our history and heritage.

Two songs of which I'd feel rather uncomfortable singing personally but have no problem others' singing them as long as they don't encourage me to, now I know both are not bigoted as my perception was of them when I was younger.

Two songs of which I'd feel rather uncomfortable singing personally but have no problem others' singing them as long as they don't encourage me to, now I know both are not bigoted as my perception was of them when I was younger.

Just curious Boab as to why you find these songs 'uncomfortable'.

Just do, certainly not songs I was brought up singing so I suppose I could say 'not songs I'm used to'

Just Boab being a Knob.(as usual) :rolleyes:

Just Polar Bear being a Knob.(as usual) :rolleyes:

Just do, certainly not songs I was brought up singing so I suppose I could say 'not songs I'm used to'

Fair enough Boab-obviously each to their own in the democracy we live in.I'm scared to call anybody at all a knob in case of sin die or are admin on here more easy going?

Just Boab Being A knob about being A knob (as ususal) :rolleyes:

:lol:

:lol:

:lol::lol:

Didn't you say your old man is an orangeman Boab ?

Aye, sure did. Infact, I was texting him from the game on Saturday as the empty seat beside me was because he was in Londonderry (tu)

But he never encouraged to be anything politically or sing certain songs/believe anything as I grew up learning about the famous.

Aye, sure did. Infact, I was texting him from the game on Saturday as the empty seat beside me was because he was in Londonderry (tu)

But he never encouraged to be anything politically or sing certain songs/believe anything as I grew up learning about the famous.

Aye you've eluded to that before and if/when I have kids I'll leave them to make their own mind up on this kind of thing just as your old man did, but I find it strange that you ever considered these songs sectarian at one point. Didn't you ask him about it if that was the case ?

Great stuff D'Art. As usual. (tu)

I wonder what the poster who made the poll about signing ROI players makes of these songs?

:rolleyes:

I have no problems at all with the Sash or Derry's Walls and I have posted this before. Sorry to disappoint you.

Aye you've eluded to that before and if/when I have kids I'll leave them to make their own mind up on this kind of thing just as your old man did, but I find it strange that you ever considered these songs sectarian at one point. Didn't you ask him about it if that was the case ?

I'm glad you asked tbh.

Well I was in the Broxi Bears Club thing, they sent the tape out of different Rangers songs and as I never heard them on it I assumed they must have been the sectarian songs some spoke of. Honest answer from when I didn't really know better.