Up to 10 players to leave?

adam2102

Rangers manager Walter Smith is prepared to shed up to 10 players between now and the summer.

While stressing that transfer targets would still be pursued, Smith signalled a likely cull of his 28-man pool.

However, Smith refused to confirm whether fringe men had been told they could leave in January.

"If we had a group of 18 to 20 with a few younger players who are almost ready, I think you would be looking at a decent number," said Smith.

Christian Dailly, Steven Smith and Brahim Hemdani have not had a look in this season, while Lee McCulloch and Charlie Adam have been used sparingly.

It is not the first time Smith has addressed the need to trim his staff, but he insisted there was no certainty anyone would depart next month.

"I kept reading that everybody said we have a squad of 28 players and that's too big, so it would be natural to assume that we will possibly lose a few players," he said.

"How do we know whether we are going to lose any players or not in the transfer window? Will somebody come in for them? Nobody knows.

"What I said was 'having 28 players, we would naturally have to lose a few before we bring some in'. That would be obvious.

"The reason we have 28 players is fairly natural. When you come in and you make changes, you build up a squad. Contractually, you have to keep them.

"So we reach a stage where we know we have to adjust that if we can.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Who would Gers fans like to see arrive at / depart from Ibrox?

"Even if we don't lose a player and there is maybe a certain player comes available for a specific position we are looking for then we would try and add to that if we could."

Kenny Miller has enjoyed regular game time since his summer arrival, but the striker can appreciate the frustration felt by those who have been overlooked.

"The players know we have a big squad," said the Scotland international.

"We know everyone is not going to play, so it's about trying to keep it together.

"We do that, we all want to win and get the title back this year.

"I've been in the position myself where you are not playing and you want to play first-team football.

"So I don't think anyone at the club, if anyone wanted to move on for that reason, would hold it against them."

Rangers manager Walter Smith is prepared to shed up to 10 players between now and the summer.

While stressing that transfer targets would still be pursued, Smith signalled a likely cull of his 28-man pool.

However, Smith refused to confirm whether fringe men had been told they could leave in January.

"If we had a group of 18 to 20 with a few younger players who are almost ready, I think you would be looking at a decent number," said Smith.

Christian Dailly, Steven Smith and Brahim Hemdani have not had a look in this season, while Lee McCulloch and Charlie Adam have been used sparingly.

It is not the first time Smith has addressed the need to trim his staff, but he insisted there was no certainty anyone would depart next month.

"I kept reading that everybody said we have a squad of 28 players and that's too big, so it would be natural to assume that we will possibly lose a few players," he said.

"How do we know whether we are going to lose any players or not in the transfer window? Will somebody come in for them? Nobody knows.

"What I said was 'having 28 players, we would naturally have to lose a few before we bring some in'. That would be obvious.

"The reason we have 28 players is fairly natural. When you come in and you make changes, you build up a squad. Contractually, you have to keep them.

"So we reach a stage where we know we have to adjust that if we can.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Who would Gers fans like to see arrive at / depart from Ibrox?

"Even if we don't lose a player and there is maybe a certain player comes available for a specific position we are looking for then we would try and add to that if we could."

Kenny Miller has enjoyed regular game time since his summer arrival, but the striker can appreciate the frustration felt by those who have been overlooked.

"The players know we have a big squad," said the Scotland international.

"We know everyone is not going to play, so it's about trying to keep it together.

"We do that, we all want to win and get the title back this year.

"I've been in the position myself where you are not playing and you want to play first-team football.

"So I don't think anyone at the club, if anyone wanted to move on for that reason, would hold it against them."

will you play them though

In an ideal world: McCulloch, Webster, Dailly, Adam, Burke, Hemdani, Gow, Broadfoot, Velicka and Ferguson.

Ferguson? <cr>

Yep, he's finished. The sooner he's away from Rangers, the better (tu)

In an ideal world: McCulloch, Webster, Dailly, Adam, Burke, Hemdani, Gow, Broadfoot, Velicka and Ferguson.

Ferguson? <cr>

Let's give it another few games Muff,before we start making rash these statements. If anyone deserves the benifit of any doubt,It's got to be Barry.

Ferguson? <cr>

Let's give it another few games Muff,before we start making rash these statements. If anyone deserves the benifit of any doubt,It's got to be Barry.

he has been finished for years now, the quicker he goes the better we have better midfielders than him in Mendes, Davis, Thommo. Ferguson has to much say in the team as well telling Smith not to take him off etc. He hasn't performed in years

I've been saying it since last season - his performances over the last 18 months have been crap, bar the odd good game here and there. He's also suffered with injuries. He's already had 821 minutes of football this season, which is a full pre-season and more and his fitness is still nowhere near being good enough - which is strange considering he's one of the fittest players at the club, we'll so we keep hearing from Ferguson himself, our manager and the press. His performances since coming back have not improved in the slightest and I don't see the partnership with Mendes working at all. Get rid of him now whilst we could get a few million for him. The sooner he's gone, the better Ibrox and Murray Park will be imho.

For me...

Beasley, Hemdani, Darcheville, Broadfoot, McCulloch, Burke, Whittaker, McGregor, Dailly, Adam

That would be perfect.

Can't see him punting Broadfoot and Whittaker John as that would leave us well short in the right back area.In fact, if he punted the 2 we would need another 2 for cover which kind of defeats the purpose of trimming the squad.Agree with the rest but!

Ferguson? <cr>

Nah, lets wait until the league is over and then offer him a new 3 year deal (tu)

Should someone offer anything in range of 3.5-5 million pounds for Barry I'd take it right away, put Davis in the middle and buy a halfdecent REAL right winger to play, er, on the right wing.

Otherwise he's gonna die a Ranger and he's not that much use of late.

And I'd keep Broadfoot, and play him as a centreback again.

For me...

Beasley, Hemdani, Darcheville, Broadfoot, McCulloch, Burke, Whittaker, McGregor, Dailly, Adam

That would be perfect.

Can't see him punting Broadfoot and Whittaker John as that would leave us well short in the right back area.In fact, if he punted the 2 we would need another 2 for cover which kind of defeats the purpose of trimming the squad.Agree with the rest but!

Yeah, good point. I know he wouldn't do that anyway, I was just meaning in an ideal world.

In reality guys like Ferguson and Broadfoot are unlikely to go anywhere.

I suspect the candiadtes will be Dailly, Velicka, Gow, Hemdani, Burke, Adam, Darcheville, McCulloch, Webster and S Smith

Sounds about right. How long are Furman and Lennon's loans for? They are another two who may get the push

I suspect the candiadtes will be Dailly, Velicka, Gow, Hemdani, Burke, Adam, Darcheville, McCulloch, Webster and S Smith

I suspect we may see him after Xmas, due to his "exhaustion"

I think that Fergie is becoming an easy target for the fans who aren't happy unless they are complaining, as for Broadfoot, for a guy who has been played out of position for his entire Rangers career i think he has done rather well & deserves a run in his natural position (just like Lafferty)

Ferguson's becoming an easy target because of his failure to turn in a decent performance this season.

He is still coming back from injury & needs matches to be fit.

He has started showing a better level in his last few games & i believe will create a solid partnership with Mendes.

Sounds about right. How long are Furman and Lennon's loans for? They are another two who may get the push

my mate watches thistle every week and says lennon is pish and theres no way he will make it at gers