Walter Smith: A fully fit Stevie Naismith...

disgruntled_bear

WALTER SMITH is convinced a fully fit Stevie Naismith will be a huge asset to the Rangers strike force.

The 22-year-old hasn't featured since damaging his left knee in April. But Naismith, who signed from Kilmarnock in 2007, is on the verge of a top-team return and Smith (left) expects the youngster to make an impact in the New Year.

The manager said: "Stevie can play in the wide areas but I think he will revert to being a striker and he'll be excellent operating just off the main forward. That is his most natural position."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-20969370/

WALTER SMITH is convinced a fully fit Stevie Naismith will be a huge asset to the Rangers strike force.

The 22-year-old hasn't featured since damaging his left knee in April. But Naismith, who signed from Kilmarnock in 2007, is on the verge of a top-team return and Smith (left) expects the youngster to make an impact in the New Year.

The manager said: "Stevie can play in the wide areas but I think he will revert to being a striker and he'll be excellent operating just off the main forward. That is his most natural position."

oh well then we can expect him to play at left back :rolleyes:

Knowing Walter he could play any where <cr>

Thing that stands out is "he'll be excellent operating just off the main forward" says to me were going back to 4-5-1 :beer1:

A midfield and strikeforce of

---Davis---Ferguson--Mendes---

Naismith-----Miller-----Lafferty

Would be something I'd like to see, Maybe at home to St Mirren/Falkirk/Inverness to try it and then maybe use it more often when we go away to Utd, Hibs, Hearts etc

Would be something I'd like to see, Maybe at home to St Mirren/Falkirk/Inverness

No Boyd RFC?....Get your tin hat on :lol:

But it's more than likely if we revert back to 4-5-1

Would be something I'd like to see, Maybe at home to St Mirren/Falkirk/Inverness

Well we cant seem to win away from home in a 4-4-2, so maybe its time to try something new. (Yes Walter, that means changing stuff)

Away from home it would get us more of a balance and would also give us more options during the game. We would be able to change to a 4-4-2 if needed. We would have subs on the bench like Edu, Aaron, Novo and Boyd who can change the approach and outcome of the game.

If you start 4-4-2 away from home, your options immediately become limited. Very few managers will change from a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3, but a lot (Ie Mourinho, Sir Alex etc) have no problem doing it the other way and it seems to work a treat.

Would be something I'd like to see, Maybe at home to St Mirren/Falkirk/Inverness to try it and then maybe use it more often when we go away to Utd, Hibs, Hearts etc

Quite like that idea, although I'd have Thomson (when fit) in place of Ferguson.

Well we cant seem to win away from home in a 4-4-2, so maybe its time to try something new. (Yes Walter, that means changing stuff)

Away from home it would get us more of a balance and would also give us more options during the game. We would be able to change to a 4-4-2 if needed. We would have subs on the bench like Edu, Aaron, Novo and Boyd who can change the approach and outcome of the game.

If you start 4-4-2 away from home, your options immediately become limited. Very few managers will change from a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3, but a lot (Ie Mourinho, Sir Alex etc) have no problem doing it the other way and it seems to work a treat.

Should also add that with the 4-3-3, it can revert back into a 4-5-1 in periods of the game where the opposition get on top of the game. Would have been useful yesterday when Dundee Utd had that 10-15 minute spell in the 2nd half, where they overran our midfield and were able to pin us back scoring 2 in the process.

A midfield 3 provides extra security as well as being able to control the game. If you control the middle of the park 9/10 times you will win the game.

But hey! What do I know?

Quite like that idea, although I'd have Thomson (when fit) in place of Ferguson.

So would I, but I was picking a team based on who was currently available for selection

Should also add that with the 4-3-3, it can revert back into a 4-5-1 in periods of the game where the opposition get on top of the game. Would have been useful yesterday when Dundee Utd had that 10-15 minute spell in the 2nd half, where they overran our midfield and were able to pin us back scoring 2 in the process.

A midfield 3 provides extra security as well as being able to control the game. If you control the middle of the park 9/10 times you will win the game.

But hey! What do I know?

I agree, but IMO Walter has to make one hell of a decision if he's going back 4-5-1.

Does he drop Boyd to help Barry out, or does he keep Boyd in and drop Barry!

Cause we can't carry 2 in that system :pipe:

But hey! What do I know?

I agree, but IMO Walter has to make one hell of a decision if he's going back 4-5-1.

Does he drop Boyd to help Barry out, or does he keep Boyd in and drop Barry!

Cause we can't carry 2 in that system :pipe:

Been saying that for years as well

Barry cant play in a 4-4-2

Boyd cant play in a 4-3-3

Who offers more to the team? Tough 1. However Walter wont drop Barry, so Boyd will always draw the short straw

Knowing Walter he could play any where <cr>

Thing that stands out is "he'll be excellent operating just off the main forward" says to me were going back to 4-5-1 :beer1:

Don't think he means going back to a 4-5-1. I think he means the same way that miller plays just off Boyd

Our ability to play 4-5-1 disappeared when Cousin went to Hull. There's no-one in the squad that can play the lone front man effectively.

That's a great point.

Expect a cyber lynching from the Cousin hate mob though!

Our ability to play 4-5-1 disappeared when Cousin went to Hull. There's no-one in the squad that can play the lone front man effectively.

Miller has done it quite effectively for Scotland. Lafferty could also play up on his own ?

Miller has done it quite effectively for Scotland. Lafferty could also play up on his own ?

Don't think Miller is a reliable enough finisher to play on his own on a regular basis, especially when we are playing teams we are expecting to beat. When Scotland are playing a team like France, where we are trying to contain and maybe scrape something with a bit of luck, then Miller running around occupying the defenders is fine. I was hoping that from now on we would be looking to play that style on rare occasions (away from home in Europe)

Lafferty might be able to do it, but as had been said - we don't really know.

Regarding Miller the big difference is he did it when Scotland were playing for and quite happy to take a draw, we need to win games. He can't win the ball in the air, his first touch is suspect for taking it in short, although with the ball over the top his pace means it could be an effective tactic. With Cousin all three were an effective option.

I'd like to see Lafferty play a few games in his proper position before judging him. Miller would probably be the perfect foil for him, on first impressions he doesn't look physically strong or quick enough to play up front on his own. I'll concede though, without him having a shot at it we'll never know.

Papaguy,

Aye, there seems to be a lot of body language experts on here ;) He was a class act, but alas, he wanted to be somewhere else, so we move on.