Do You Remember When Whittaker was a Great Signing?

contacts

There's nothing so wrong with Whittaker that a bit of coaching can't fix.

unless Smith is doing the coaching....

i heard Whittaker is nearing a start at left midfield

did he not have a fairly decent game there away to sporting lisbon? :P

Coaching and encouragement will not improve his basic lack of balance and coordination, poor decision making and poor thought process on the park.

He lost his position at Hibs because he cannot defend and has no final ball.

We should just accept we paid far too much for a poor player.

I cannot criticise Smith for signing Whittaker as I thought he was a great signing but what a disappointment this boy has become.

In the last 2 games he has been awful and his body language is shocking. Anyone who plays against him can fire in cross balls at their leisure and all this at a time when we are struggling to defend high balls into the box.

At Hibs I thought he was superb and I believed he had everything to become a top full back. I know Smith signed him to play right midfield (honest) but when Hutton signed for Spurs he must have seen him as the automatic choice for the right back berth.

Recent performances would suggest he cannot tackle very well, he definitely cannot cut out cross balls, he is not very good in the air for being a tall lad and his general outfield play is poor.

What has happened to him?

Was it the massive increase in salary that has made him lazy? Has he lost his confidence? Has he always been poor but maybe had one good season with Hibs?

I honestly have no idea but I really hope he does not play on Saturday.

Each to their own, but I thought Whitaker had a good game yesterday, just about every attack went through him, ok he made two bad cross attempts, and that obvioulsy is wehat some folk are waiting on, but apart from that he did well.

I wasn't convinced by him when he was at Hibs. Decent footballer but poor defender. Hutton always had McGeady in his back pocket. Even Broadfoot pretty much manages that.

When Whittaker was at Hibs I remember one game where McWeedy left Whit on his erse then either scored or set up a goal. Same again a bit later. His body position was all wrong when facing a player about to take him on and got beaten too easily.

He's not looked any different any time I've seen him with us and that's why Smith has gone for Broadfoot at right back. Whit is the better footballer but Smith knows Broadfoot can defend better.

Young? He's almost 25 - 23 when we signed him and had played over 150 games for Hibs.

I was absolutely gutted when we wasted £2m on him. His positioning, distribution and concentration span is always going to be absolutely terrible.

His poor timing going into challenges is going to cost us, it already has and he was lucky to remain on the park at both Tannadice and Tynecastle.

Just a shame he was signed on a 5 year deal.

Its not quite got to the stage where I cringe when the team sheet is read and his names on it, but he does need to give himself a kick up the arse and get onto a game.

I still think he can fill the RB role for us for a number of years.