JOHN BROWN: Bomber command

disgruntled_bear

JOHN BROWN was a dyed in the wool Rangers fan who lived the dream as a player.

Bomber spent eight years at Ibrox, winning a string of honours and starring for Walter Smith’s side as they stormed to within 90 minutes of the Champions League Final in 1993.

The hardman defender also helped Gers to a number of crucial Old Firm victories.

As he looked ahead to today’s clash he recalled: “I loved being involved in the Old Firm games. We had a great record in the festive derbies. I think we won six and drew three from nine games at New Year so it was a good time for us.

“I managed to score in the New Year derby in 1991 when we won 3-1 at Parkhead. But my favourite Old Firm game was my first when we won 5-1 at Ibrox.”

We led Bomber down memory lane to pick the dream team he’d want in the football trenches with him in an Old Firm battle. Here’s his 11.

ANDY GORAM: He had the ability to make saves a lot of other keepers couldn’t. He played at the top level for both Rangers and Scotland for so long and that says a lot about his talent.

GARY STEVENS: He was a good defender and was a player with great energy levels. He was so reliable and in the six seasons he was at Rangers he won six league titles and barely missed a game.

TERRY BUTCHER: A born winner, a leader and a great character who had the total respect of the dressing room.

RICHARD GOUGH: Nine titles is a wonderful record and it tells you everything. He was a great defender and role model for younger players with the way he played and also the way he looked after himself.

JOHN BROWN: I’d play leftback which is where I started my Rangers career.

BRIAN LAUDRUP: The kind of talent that has not been seen in Scotland since. What a fantastic player he was and one who won a lot of games for us. He scored a lot of goals but made a lot more for Ally McCoist and Mark Hateley.

PAUL GASCOIGNE: Gazza was a great lad and a great player. He set the heather alight in his first couple of seasons in Scotland. He stood out in Old Firm games and I remember him scoring a great goal at Parkhead. But my abiding memory of Paul was when he single-handedly beat Aberdeen when we won eight-in-a-row. He scored a hat-trick that day and was brilliant.

STUART McCALL: A pleasure to play with and someone who could both defend and attack. And like me Stuart is ginger. was a passionate player and one who loved Old Firm games.

DAVIE COOPER: I played one season with him after I signed. I linked up with him on the left as I was at full-back and he was up the wing. He had a fantastic left foot and wonderful balance.

MARK HATELEY: I’ve never played with such a successful strike pairing as Ally and Mark. I played against Coisty when I was with Dundee but I’d have hated to have come against the pair of them.

ALLY McCOIST: His scoring record was phenomenal. He was also a great character and he did a lot to help Mark settle when he first signed. They were a great combination.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2072898.ece