Gazza: My family agony

TROUBLED Paul Gascoigne has told The Sun of his nightmare 2008 during which his drink and drug addiction catapulted him to the brink of death.

And Gazza — currently trying to stitch his life back together in a rehab clinic — confessed: “This is my last chance.

“My mate Jimmy Five Bellies says I’ve got more lives than a cat and he’s right. But this is my last one.”

The former soccer idol — sectioned TWICE after booze and drug binges — added: “2008 was a terrible time for me, my worst year ever.

“The drink and drugs nearly killed me, not once but a few times.

“And getting sectioned was the worst thing ever. A little bit of me died when I went in there and I am never going back.

“The difference this time is I know what I have got to do. I know I can never drink again otherwise it will kill me.”

The ex-Spurs and England superstar opened his heart about his struggle as he was engulfed by a row over a Channel 4 documentary to be aired on Monday.

The Cutting Edge programme Saving Gazza shows his ex-wife Sheryl travelling to Portugal last year as he tried to kick the booze.

Producers originally approached Gazza, 41, about making a film about his recovery.

He was initially keen on the idea but as his interest waned the focus turned to his family’s struggle to live with an addict.

Gazza blasted Channel 4 chiefs for allowing his 12-year-old son Regan to attack him on the show.

Hitting back ... Paul's former wife Sheryl Gascoigne on Channel 4's Saving Gazza

Hitting back ... Paul's former wife Sheryl Gascoigne on

Channel 4's Saving Gazza

And he laid part of the blame at the door of Sheryl, 43 — saying she was more interested in making a TV film than helping him.

But SHE insisted the programme was made with Gazza’s consent and it was him who agreed to Regan’s appearance. In an astonishing outburst, the boy says:

If I could wish, I would wish that he would go away from us. He’s probably going to die soon.

Everyone thinks he’s Gazza but because he’s the top player doesn’t mean he’s a good dad or good person to be with, does it really?

I don’t think there’s any point in helping him.

Waste

He’s my dad. He should have helped and seen me all these years.

I don’t want to waste all my tears on him.

I feel bad and sorry for him because he’s in this kind of state but it’s not our fault.

Angry Gazza said: “I can’t believe Sheryl has let our son be used on television in this way.

“And it is beyond belief that a TV documentary has allowed an interview with a kid of 12 to be broadcast like this.

“How can a 12-year-old understand the things I’ve gone through? He is 12 for God’s sake.

“I don’t blame him one bit. He is my son and I love him and I always will.

“This is all down to Sheryl. She has turned him against me and his mind is now poisoned against me.”

He added: “If she hates me that much, why is she still called Gascoigne? Because the name Gascoigne is a bonus for her, that’s why.

Outburst ... 12-year-old Regan on show in which he laid into his dad, Paul Gascoigne

Outburst ... 12-year-old Regan on show in which he laid into his dad

“I’m not going to watch the programme. It’s a disgrace to use a child like that.

“If Sheryl was so interested in saving me then why did she come all the way out to Portugal as part of making a TV show?

“Would it not have been better to have ‘saved Gazza’ without a camera crew in tow?”

Sheryl’s other children Bianca, 19, and Mason, 22, also feature in the documentary.

Gazza claimed she wanted to use the show to promote Bianca’s career as a model.

He said of his ex: “Walking into that wine bar and meeting her all those years ago was the most expensive drink I’ve ever had.

“It has cost me about £17million over the years. She landed one of the biggest lottery wins ever when I walked into that wine bar.

“I paid maintenance for two kids who weren’t mine and the family lives in a £1.6million house. Yet they throw all this at me.”

But a friend of Sheryl insisted Gazza was not telling the whole truth about the show.

The pal said: “Paul was offered the chance of making the documentary and he agreed without even consulting Sheryl.

“Not only did he agree for Regan to appear but he is filmed next to his son. At one point he handed a camera to Regan so he could film his dad.

“Regan has been through a lot and wanted to speak for himself and Paul did not object.

“Cutting Edge producers asked Sheryl to be interviewed, but she flatly refused because she does not want to get into a public slanging match with Paul.

“At the end of the day it won’t do anyone any good and her primary concern is Regan.”

Gazza’s best pal Jimmy “Five Bellies” Gardner, 46, revealed the fallen idol was still supporting the family financially last year despite all his problems — and had given the kids expensive gifts.

Jimmy said: “Then they go and throw it all back in his face like this. It stinks.”

He added: “A load of the money he has given Sheryl over the years has been spent on surgery. She has had more surgery than Jordan and Elizabeth Taylor put together.”

In the Cutting Edge show, Gazza admits he has a host of woes and says: “I’ve got food disorder, bipolar, mood swings, anxiety.

Out of it ... Paul Gascoigne in June

Out of it ... Gazza in June

Brennan and Murphy

“I drank when I was happy, I drank when I was sad. And yes, I must admit I thought of dying.”

But he has been off the booze for a month.

And he is undergoing a punishing fitness regime at the south coast clinic, starting at 6.30am every day.

Pale

He pounds away on a gym treadmill for hours, heaves weights and does 7,000 sit-ups a day, breaking only for a small chicken meal. He has even given up his cherished Nintendo Wii.

He became addicted to the console while living alone in hotels last year, once playing its tenpin bowling game for six days solid.

Jimmy has seen a huge improvement in Gazza since he helped him to check in on December 5. The pal said: “Then, he was so pale he could have haunted houses.

“But he looks much better now. And there is a determination in his voice I have never heard before.

“Paul knows people say he will go the way of George Best.

“His reaction is they should worry about their own lives and forget about him. But the reason people do worry is because the nation loves him.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2087660.ece

It's a fucking shame that they would make a TV show about him.... absolute shame.

Hes right to be pissed off.... as he says, he looked after 2 kids that were not his... and the family are in a 1.8million pound house... yet the family come on TV and slate the poor bloke.

Its a bloody shame man.... This TV show will end up killing him and i hope to god i am wrong.

GAZZA COME ON MATE, CHIN UP.

Notice how hes still giving her cash, supporting his family etc etc... shes spending his cash on surgery.

It's that cow thats fucked his head up.

She's no helping thats for sure, but Gazza has his own demons :(

Yes mate i know he does.

But his own family making this tv show slagging him off is just wrong and its not gonna help him.

Theres only one Paul Gascoigne

All rangers fans love and admire you

We are the people and no surrender Gazza

No matter what you will be a rangers legend and all the best for the future :) your welcome at ibrox any time

Good luck

:rangers:

Notice how hes still giving her cash, supporting his family etc etc... shes spending his cash on surgery.

It's that cow thats fucked his head up.

She's no helping thats for sure, but Gazza has his own demons :(

Yes mate i know he does.

But his own family making this tv show slagging him off is just wrong and its not gonna help him.

I know it's wrong and no going to help, but she never fucked up his head thats all i'm saying.

I thought the documentary they did when he signed for gers the 12 months of Gazza was awesome!! But this seems so tasteless, Good luck with everything Gazza!!!!

TROUBLED Paul Gascoigne has told The Sun of his nightmare 2008 during which his drink and drug addiction catapulted him to the brink of death.

And Gazza — currently trying to stitch his life back together in a rehab clinic — confessed: “This is my last chance.

“My mate Jimmy Five Bellies says I’ve got more lives than a cat and he’s right. But this is my last one.”

The former soccer idol — sectioned TWICE after booze and drug binges — added: “2008 was a terrible time for me, my worst year ever.

“The drink and drugs nearly killed me, not once but a few times.

“And getting sectioned was the worst thing ever. A little bit of me died when I went in there and I am never going back.

“The difference this time is I know what I have got to do. I know I can never drink again otherwise it will kill me.”

The ex-Spurs and England superstar opened his heart about his struggle as he was engulfed by a row over a Channel 4 documentary to be aired on Monday.

The Cutting Edge programme Saving Gazza shows his ex-wife Sheryl travelling to Portugal last year as he tried to kick the booze.

Producers originally approached Gazza, 41, about making a film about his recovery.

He was initially keen on the idea but as his interest waned the focus turned to his family’s struggle to live with an addict.

Gazza blasted Channel 4 chiefs for allowing his 12-year-old son Regan to attack him on the show.

Hitting back ... Paul's former wife Sheryl Gascoigne on Channel 4's Saving Gazza

Hitting back ... Paul's former wife Sheryl Gascoigne on

Channel 4's Saving Gazza

And he laid part of the blame at the door of Sheryl, 43 — saying she was more interested in making a TV film than helping him.

But SHE insisted the programme was made with Gazza’s consent and it was him who agreed to Regan’s appearance. In an astonishing outburst, the boy says:

If I could wish, I would wish that he would go away from us. He’s probably going to die soon.

Everyone thinks he’s Gazza but because he’s the top player doesn’t mean he’s a good dad or good person to be with, does it really?

I don’t think there’s any point in helping him.

Waste

He’s my dad. He should have helped and seen me all these years.

I don’t want to waste all my tears on him.

I feel bad and sorry for him because he’s in this kind of state but it’s not our fault.

Angry Gazza said: “I can’t believe Sheryl has let our son be used on television in this way.

“And it is beyond belief that a TV documentary has allowed an interview with a kid of 12 to be broadcast like this.

“How can a 12-year-old understand the things I’ve gone through? He is 12 for God’s sake.

“I don’t blame him one bit. He is my son and I love him and I always will.

“This is all down to Sheryl. She has turned him against me and his mind is now poisoned against me.”

He added: “If she hates me that much, why is she still called Gascoigne? Because the name Gascoigne is a bonus for her, that’s why.

Outburst ... 12-year-old Regan on show in which he laid into his dad, Paul Gascoigne

Outburst ... 12-year-old Regan on show in which he laid into his dad

“I’m not going to watch the programme. It’s a disgrace to use a child like that.

“If Sheryl was so interested in saving me then why did she come all the way out to Portugal as part of making a TV show?

“Would it not have been better to have ‘saved Gazza’ without a camera crew in tow?”

Sheryl’s other children Bianca, 19, and Mason, 22, also feature in the documentary.

Gazza claimed she wanted to use the show to promote Bianca’s career as a model.

He said of his ex: “Walking into that wine bar and meeting her all those years ago was the most expensive drink I’ve ever had.

“It has cost me about £17million over the years. She landed one of the biggest lottery wins ever when I walked into that wine bar.

“I paid maintenance for two kids who weren’t mine and the family lives in a £1.6million house. Yet they throw all this at me.”

But a friend of Sheryl insisted Gazza was not telling the whole truth about the show.

The pal said: “Paul was offered the chance of making the documentary and he agreed without even consulting Sheryl.

“Not only did he agree for Regan to appear but he is filmed next to his son. At one point he handed a camera to Regan so he could film his dad.

“Regan has been through a lot and wanted to speak for himself and Paul did not object.

“Cutting Edge producers asked Sheryl to be interviewed, but she flatly refused because she does not want to get into a public slanging match with Paul.

“At the end of the day it won’t do anyone any good and her primary concern is Regan.”

Gazza’s best pal Jimmy “Five Bellies” Gardner, 46, revealed the fallen idol was still supporting the family financially last year despite all his problems — and had given the kids expensive gifts.

Jimmy said: “Then they go and throw it all back in his face like this. It stinks.”

He added: “A load of the money he has given Sheryl over the years has been spent on surgery. She has had more surgery than Jordan and Elizabeth Taylor put together.”

In the Cutting Edge show, Gazza admits he has a host of woes and says: “I’ve got food disorder, bipolar, mood swings, anxiety.

Out of it ... Paul Gascoigne in June

Out of it ... Gazza in June

Brennan and Murphy

“I drank when I was happy, I drank when I was sad. And yes, I must admit I thought of dying.”

But he has been off the booze for a month.

And he is undergoing a punishing fitness regime at the south coast clinic, starting at 6.30am every day.

Pale

He pounds away on a gym treadmill for hours, heaves weights and does 7,000 sit-ups a day, breaking only for a small chicken meal. He has even given up his cherished Nintendo Wii.

He became addicted to the console while living alone in hotels last year, once playing its tenpin bowling game for six days solid.

Jimmy has seen a huge improvement in Gazza since he helped him to check in on December 5. The pal said: “Then, he was so pale he could have haunted houses.

“But he looks much better now. And there is a determination in his voice I have never heard before.

“Paul knows people say he will go the way of George Best.

“His reaction is they should worry about their own lives and forget about him. But the reason people do worry is because the nation loves him.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2087660.ece

I love the guy , but he has time and again shunned help , and I no many people who have gone through what he has and thier in no way famous , but they have dealt with it or are dealing with it , and lets not forget our club stuck by him when he beat his wife ( no matter what you think of her , no woman deserves that) so lets get of the sympathy train we paid toward his good wages and we are thankful for what he gave rangers .

But how many chances do you give somebody , at the end of the day we all have our problems and troubles

He will always be my hero!

Where are his mates when he needs them most? I'm sick of the press and the way the treat Gazza.

I wish him all the best, and I hope he get's over his troubles once and for all.

It's just a shame that it's come to this and that a talented guy is not where he belongs, on the training ground giving his experience and knowledge towards the youth of today.

Gazza8-1.jpg

Fantastic player, Rangers legend but total dick of a man.

Sorry Gazza, no sympathy from me, having lived on the other side with someone like him for 15 years.

My view is that people choose their own paths in life and I strenously(sp) object to people getting 3rd, 4th and 5th chances like George Best and keep throwing them away.

Harsh i know, but there are more deserved examples requiring sympathy and help IMHO. (tu)