Lies...£5million pursuit of Barry Ferguson

RAGING Rangers gaffer Walter Smith has launched a blistering attack on Joe Kinnear over his £5million pursuit of Barry Ferguson.

Smith has angrily refuted claims by the Newcastle boss that he has made moves to sign the Gers and Scotland skipper.

Ibrox chiefs insist Kinnear is telling porkies after saying he has inquired about Fergie.

And Smith has accused the Toon gaffer of making up big-name targets just to get angry Geordie fans off his back.

Speaking after the 3-0 win at Inverness, the Gers boss fumed: “Joe’s comments are strange — there has been NO contact from Newcastle.

“No one has spoken to me, to my chairman or my chief executive, so the remarks are disappointing. He may be keen on a player but he can’t say he has been in contact with anyone from Rangers when he has not.

“Whether it has been done to pacify his own supporters, I don’t know.

“Barry’s an experienced player and he doesn’t get upset by it. But we do find it strange.”

SunSport understands Ferguson, who turns 31 next month, is happy at Gers and is considering a contract extension offer.

He has already stated he wants to end his career at Ibrox and isn’t keen to head back south.

But despite the war of words, Newcastle ARE interested in Fergie.

And they could test Rangers’ resolve with a £3m bid this week when Toon owner Mike Ashley returns from holiday.

Smith, though, insists he has no intention of selling his skipper.

He’s only keen to get rid of fringe players this month as Gers chase Celtic for the SPL title.

He added: “The players I have been talking about going are ones who are unhappy at being left out.

“What disappoints me is that ever since I said that, all I read is about players who are actually playing in the team.”

Smith lost Kenny Miller to a calf strain and goal-scorer Pedro Mendes to a thigh knock but expects both to be ready for the Scottish Cup fourth round tie at St Johnstone a week tomorrow.

Mendes hit the opener in Inverness before Kris Boyd hit a late double.

Smith said: “We were poor for half an hour in the first half and I was a little disappointed.

“It was a terrific goal by Pedro at the start of the second half and we deserved the win.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2094461.ece

SunSport understands Ferguson, who turns 31 next month, is happy at Gers and is considering a contract extension offer.

He has already stated he wants to end his career at Ibrox and isn’t keen to head back south.

:anguish:

Aye he isney going hes finishing his carrer with us

so thats the end of the whole ferguson to newcastle pish.

:unionflag:

If, and that is a big if, there is an offer of 3 million then as a club we must accept it, he is a player with no resale value and it is relatively common knowledge that Walter is interested in Tonel who co-incidently costs 3 million. We have a player in Davis who could step into CM easily and also has a further resale value (therefore music to Murray's ears) and means that the team can progress which should be paramount to the manager (and us fans) plans for the team?

skysports.com said he hasnt been offered a contract extension and thats why clubs are sniffing round... :unsure:

Ferguson, who has recently returned from an ankle injury, has 18 months to run on his current contract but as yet no talks have taken place over a new deal.

The 30-year-old could realistically run down his contract and agree a pre-contract with interested clubs next January and Rangers would be keen to avoid such a scenario.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_4745346,00.html

The sooner he goes, the better.

I don't think I could stand him being at the club for much longer - a new contract would be the worst bit of buisness ever!

There is no chance in hell he will leave.

He doesn't want to leave. He's already come top in a manager or me situation, do you really think Murray and Smith would go ahead and sell him?

Not a fuckin chance. Barry is far from his best but he's a hardcore bluenose and, imo, would rather retire than leave.

What i posted in the transfer section thread.

He doesn't want to leave. He's already come top in a manager or me situation, do you really think Murray and Smith would go ahead and sell him?

Not a fuckin chance. Barry is far from his best but he's a hardcore bluenose and, imo, would rather retire than leave.

MONEY always talks trueblue.

If Newcastle put a bid as quoted no doubt we would Accept!

The chance for one final pay day for Barry, and at his age might be too much to turn down :unsure:

The chance for one final pay day for Barry, and at his age might be too much to turn down :unsure:

I really do think Barry is untouchable.

If he wants to stay, he'll stay.

I really do think Barry is untouchable.

If he wants to stay, he'll stay.

Yeah i think the same, but i'm just hoping this is a opportunity or a "excuse" that is needed for to get rid :beer2:

skysports.com said he hasnt been offered a contract extension and thats why clubs are sniffing round... :unsure:

Ferguson, who has recently returned from an ankle injury, has 18 months to run on his current contract but as yet no talks have taken place over a new deal.

The 30-year-old could realistically run down his contract and agree a pre-contract with interested clubs next January and Rangers would be keen to avoid such a scenario.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_4745346,00.html

Sky Sports describe him as a "prize asset". Aye right!

post-10777-1231114132_thumb.jpg

If we were offered £5 million it would be accepted in a flash but there is no way Ferguson would leave again; he tried the big bad world away from home and didn't like it.

On a different tack; I would not at all be surprised if we have circulated the availability of most of our players.

Walter Smith rebukes Joe Kinnear over talk of Barry Ferguson bid

“What football manager can say that if somebody comes along and makes a bid for one of his player that you don’t have to consider it – you have to. And that’s what we did last season with Alan Hutton [who went to Tottenham Hotspur for £9 million].

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5447027.ece

Boyd backs Barry

KRIS BOYD last night claimed Barry Ferguson has no interest in a £5 million move to Newcastle – and insisted the players and manager also want their skipper to stay.

Here is the full article - http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/78349

Expect an article from McCulloch and Adam tomorrow (tu)

Boyd backs Barry

KRIS BOYD last night claimed Barry Ferguson has no interest in a £5 million move to Newcastle – and insisted the players and manager also want their skipper to stay.

Here is the full article - http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/78349

Expect an article from McCulloch and Adam tomorrow (tu)

No doubt, did you see what Boyd also said about Ferguson?

“He’s enjoying it now, he’s back to the player he once was. We don’t want to lose him and I’m sure the manager won’t want to lose him either.”

Had to laugh at that part - biggest load of bollocks and just shows the clique at Rangers, there is only so long people can keep on bumming Ferguson, the majority will finally see past it. A lot can see it now!

He's finished!