Ferguson's new contract

TMWWBK

So, say the deal to Newcastle sadly but predictably proves to be a lot of nonsense and say that Walter Smith is desperate to tie him down to a new deal.

For some strange and ultimately unrealistic reason, the club approaches you to take the 'Bain role' and conduct the negotiations.

How much do you offer him? Do you sustain the £30,000 p/w figure that we're currently paying him, or do you ask him to take a pay cut?

Personally, i would look back to 2003 when the 33 year old Arthur Numan was approaching the end of his deal. For me, Numan was more important to the club back then than Ferguson is to the club at the current time. Numan was earning £20,000 p/w and was arguably playing his best football since his PSV days. The club asked him to take a wage cut and in the end, the contract offered was apparently worth around £8,000 p/w plus appearence money. Of course, Numan looked at the deal and laughed.

Is the current day Barry Ferguson all that different from Numan back then? Sure, he's a couple of years younger, but Numan looked to have put his injury problems behind him where as it's only now that we'll begin to see the full effects of the cortisone injections that Ferguson has been taking for years.

Offering him anything over 15k p/w would be suicidal in my eyes. Apart from the aforementioned injury ravaged body, there's the fact that he hasnt looked the player he once was for a couple of years now, and his decline will only continue to get steeper. You also have to take his associates into things as well and we have another 3 central midfielders under the age of 25, one of which the manager came out and publicly backed as a long term investment just the other day.

So, Barry Ferguson, 10k p/w, deal or no deal?

Your's, TMWWBK.

So, say the deal to Newcastle sadly but predictably proves to be a lot of nonsense and say that Walter Smith is desperate to tie him down to a new deal.

For some strange and ultimately unrealistic reason, the club approaches you to take the 'Bain role' and conduct the negotiations.

How much do you offer him? Do you sustain the £30,000 p/w figure that we're currently paying him, or do you ask him to take a pay cut?

Personally, i would look back to 2003 when the 33 year old Arthur Numan was approaching the end of his deal. For me, Numan was more important to the club back then than Ferguson is to the club at the current time. Numan was earning £20,000 p/w and was arguably playing his best football since his PSV days. The club asked him to take a wage cut and in the end, the contract offered was apparently worth around £8,000 p/w plus appearence money. Of course, Numan looked at the deal and laughed.

Is the current day Barry Ferguson all that different from Numan back then? Sure, he's a couple of years younger, but Numan looked to have put his injury problems behind him where as it's only now that we'll begin to see the full effects of the cortisone injections that Ferguson has been taking for years.

Offering him anything over 15k p/w would be suicidal in my eyes. Apart from the aforementioned injury ravaged body, there's the fact that he hasnt looked the player he once was for a couple of years now, and his decline will only continue to get steeper. You also have to take his associates into things as well and we have another 3 central midfielders under the age of 25, one of which the manager came out and publicly backed as a long term investment just the other day.

So, Barry Ferguson, 10k p/w, deal or no deal?

Your's, TMWWBK.

Only offer I would make him would be to pay him of or better still cancel his contract

the club approaches you to take the 'Bain role' and conduct the negotiations.

Between now and the summer I would work tirelessly to offload him - I would contact as many clubs as possible who I think would be interested in him.

If nothing happened in that time I would continue to look to offload him in January. No interest, then he would run down his contract and be released in the summer of 2010, once it had expred.

To answer the OP I'd offer Barry 15k.

I'd explain in this fiscal climate, we can't afford more.

I'd then bid 80M for Ronaldinho and pay the Brazilian 100k a week :pipe:

Barry's a multi millionaire and has an extensive property portfolio.

If he's REALLY a big Rangers man, I'd offer him £5k a week and see if he loves the club enough to be a squad member on that.

If he's REALLY a big Rangers man, I'd offer him £5k a week and see if he loves the club enough to be a squad member on that.

Who was the Roma player who done that? He was something ridiculous like 50kpw and took a pay cut to 1kpw because Roma were in financial difficulty. Thats true commitment to a club you love.

Who was the Roma player who done that? He was something ridiculous like 50kpw and took a pay cut to 1kpw because Roma were in financial difficulty. Thats true commitment to a club you love.

Or he could take a leaf out of Joseba Etxeberria book!

Personally, I wouldn't want that either.