Nacho Novo: I'm staying at Ibrox

Rangers forward Nacho Novo has declared that he is not prepared to ease the club's financial problems by leaving Ibrox.

The Spaniard has been linked with a move to La Liga with Deportivo La Coruna but stressed in the wake of Tuesday night's 2-0 Homecoming Scottish Cup victory over St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park that he would prefer to remain in Glasgow.

"I want to stay here until the end of the season," said the 29-year-old, who is on target to make his 200th appearance for the club before the end of the current campaign. "I want to win more trophies with Rangers."

Novo, who notched his fifth goal of the campaign against St Johnstone, also claimed that the constant coverage of potential moves for team-mates Kris Boyd, Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor as a result of the club's economic difficulties has not had a detrimental effect on the dressing room.

"It's been a normal week as far as the players are concerned," he said. "Everyone seems happy. There has been speculation about Boyd and Barry but they are really good players.

"At the moment we are still in contention for all three trophies. Now we want to try and go on a run and see where it takes us. The gaffer is working hard with us but we need to do better. Allan made some fantastic saves for us against St Johnstone."

While Boyd and Ferguson have attracted the bulk of attention from the media and potential suitors in recent weeks, Novo was at pains to point out that there are no Galacticos at Murray Park and that it was their collective effort which took Rangers to the final of the Uefa Cup just eight months ago.

"This is a football team," he said. "There are no special individual players here: we have 22 squad players and my mentality is that we all have a job to do instead of relying on one player.

"When we were successful last season it was as a team. Obviously, players will come and go but at the moment I hope everyone stays at the club and that we do our best."

Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish has again stated his belief that Boyd, who rejected an offer from the Midlands club last week, may yet relocate to the Championship, although the striker's performance in Perth could have been designed to deter prospective buyers.

Indeed, Rangers' best player was McGregor, who made three fine first-half saves to deny the home side. It prompted a stout defence from Novo of the 26-year-old, who has seemingly rediscovered his best form after a disappointing start to 2008/09.

"Allan missed the end of last season with a bad injury and when you haven't played for a long time then you need a run of games to get back to your best," he said.

"Now he's demonstrated that his confidence is back and that he's the same guy he was before."

Rangers will now face Forfar Athletic at Station Park in the fifth round of the competition. The tie has been switched to Sunday, Feb 8, with a 12.15pm kick-off at the behest of Sky Sports, who will broadcast the match live.

Manager Walter Smith has targeted Aberdeen's Lee Miller as a possible replacement for Boyd should the latter be sold and the Scotland striker's brace in the 2-1 win at Kilmarnock on Tuesday brought his total to seven from as many games.

However, his manager, Jimmy Calderwood, believes that he can hold on to his talisman beyond the current transfer window. "You never know in this game but I would think he will still be at Aberdeen right to the end of the season," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...g-at-Ibrox.html

Manager Walter Smith has targeted Aberdeen's Lee Miller as a possible replacement for Boyd should the latter be sold and the Scotland striker's brace in the 2-1 win at Kilmarnock on Tuesday brought his total to seven from as many games.

However, his manager, Jimmy Calderwood, believes that he can hold on to his talisman beyond the current transfer window. "You never know in this game but I would think he will still be at Aberdeen right to the end of the season," he said.

:anguish:

:anguish:

Yeh get boyd to fuck <cr> <cr> <cr> <cr>

We'll play much better with Miller x2 up front

Rangers forward Nacho Novo has declared that he is not prepared to ease the club's financial problems by leaving Ibrox

typical scottish fucking media, good on ye Nacho son. That sentence make him out to be a bad person but the wee man loves the club and i hope he is for a while yet.

He'd be starting for Rangers week in week out if he had any real consistant quality of note.

I think that's a bit unfair, he's certainly no worse than Miller, and is a hell of a lot better at finishing.

Miller hasnt been in good form of late, but Novo is an impact sub and nothing more.

I wouldn't say there's much between them in the finishing stakes either. Novo is the definition of erratic.

He'd be starting for Rangers week in week out if he had any real consistant quality of note.

I think that's a bit unfair, he's certainly no worse than Miller, and is a hell of a lot better at finishing.

Miller hasnt been in good form of late, but Novo is an impact sub and nothing more.

I wouldn't say there's much between them in the finishing stakes either. Novo is the definition of erratic.

Not going to disagree that Novo's erratic, but I just can't imagine Miller being able to score goals like Novo's volley against Dundee Utd last season. They both seem to suffer when they have time to think, as well.

Not going to disagree that Novo's erratic, but I just can't imagine Miller being able to score goals like Novo's volley against Dundee Utd last season. They both seem to suffer when they have time to think, as well.

You got it in one with that last sentence. There's actually a couple of parallels between the two. Their finishing ability is poor to be kind, but you look at Miller's strike against Newcastle when he was at Derby and then Novo's strike against Dundee Utd and you can't help but think there was a better player in there who was lost years ago.

lee miller is awful

He is that but he's having a good run and he'll no doubt give our defence problems next week. Your typical mediocre SPL player.

I doubt we could even afford him, thankfully.

Or if he had been signed by the present manager.

Also if he had a run in his natural position where he had success in the one season he played there for us.

Success for one season and then eternally awful there after.

I can't argue with Novo as a squad player/impact sub, but he just isnt good enough to be a number one starter.