Weir: Rooney comparisons unfair on Fleck

David Weir rarely looks flustered. Perhaps that state of relaxation comes from knowing that he won't be the one packing his bags sometime in the next fortnight as Rangers look to improve their financial standing by moving on one of their top performers.

Weir, at 38, is hardly a sellable asset, perhaps the only one from the side that defeated Falkirk on Saturday that wouldn't command a transfer fee. For now, though, the focus is on Kris Boyd.

Birmingham City tried but failed to lure him south only for the deal to fall apart when personal terms could not be reached. Alex McLeish, the manager who signed him for Rangers, may try again before the transfer window closes. Others, too, will have been reminded of Boyd's capabilities on hearing the news that the striker took his total for the season to 22 with another double at the weekend.

Weir does not want to lose Boyd, nor any of his team-mates, but is wise enough to appreciate the sticky financial situation Rangers currently find themselves in.

"Kris has shown he wants to stay but it's not in his hands," he said. "We've not got any control over that. It's been common fact that the club needs to get money in and when you've got someone who is scoring goals then they will be in demand.

"Boydy does that so he'll be the one people want. Our squad is probably too big - there were 10 players sitting in the stand today. It's not the right way to run a business. We would want everybody to stay in an ideal world but it's not an ideal world."

Weir was joined in the starting line-up by John Fleck, a player 21 years his junior. Weir was at Everton as Wayne Rooney began his rise to prominence but feels comparisons with the England striker are premature and unfair.

"John was fantastic and you can't really praise him highly enough. He was probably the best player on the park. We don't want to build him up too much but he's the kind of lad where nothing affects him. I don't think it's fair on John, though, to make comparisons with Wayne. Wayne's on a different planet. There are similarities but John has a long way to go."

A surprising highlight of the first half was the sight of Weir and Steven Pressley, two former Scotland team-mates, shoving each other around like two pensioners squabbling over the last custard cream.

Weir looked sheepish at the recollection. "Ah, it was nothing, just a bit of fun and games. I was just trying to get the crowd going."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...ir_on_Fleck.php

I never saw the game but the highlights did not show one bit of action involving John Fleck.

I'll also miss the re-run of the game on Rangers TV unless they show it again as my Sky+ record is not fcuking working and the prick has not come out to fix it.

I never saw the game but the highlights did not show one bit of action involving John Fleck.

I'll also miss the re-run of the game on Rangers TV unless they show it again as my Sky+ record is not fcuking working and the prick has not come out to fix it.

Tried switching off the box and re-starting? My recorder was effed up in the summer and i missed the re-run of the Kaunas first leg but my mum totally switched the box off and it was working again.

Was like he wasnt even playing

I have tried absolutely everything I can think off. I think I need a new box because the picture goes red quite a bit.

They didn't even mention him on the SPL on setanta or whatever the programme is called.

Do they only show the weekend game on a Monday night?

I noticed that too Muff

But what it could have put in was Boyds header miss from 3 yards when fleck got in behind and put in a fantastic cross to the back post, one of many, or his long run in the first half which ended in a curling long range shot just saved by the goalkeeper, many watching those highlights will have been wondering where the good praise is coming from but his directness and ability of just being able to use his power and pace (none of this fancy flair stuff) to get by his opponents are probably what is drawing him comparisons with rooney

Instead you don't get any of that and have to listen to that numpty napper, Jim Duffy whilst the bastards show Barry Robson beating a player about 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 times.

WHILE David Weir did not exactly experience a case of déjà vu at the weekend, the veteran defender believes he may once again have been a first-hand witness to the launch of a teenage forward's prodigious career.

Back in 2002, Weir was a team-mate of Wayne Rooney at Everton when the wunderkind of English football announced his arrival on the Premiership stage in spectacular fashion.

There was nothing quite so dramatic at Ibrox on Saturday when John Fleck

made his first starting appearance for Rangers, but the 17-year-old's excellent performance in a crucial SPL victory for the title challengers suggested he is now ready to fulfil the great expectations his club have of him.

Since his return to Rangers two years ago, manager Walter Smith has identified Fleck as a potential first-team regular. Injury has interrupted his progress, but his contribution in what has been a problematic position on the wide left of Smith's midfield was a declaration from the nephew of former Rangers and Scotland striker Robert Fleck that he now merits a sustained run in the top side.

"He was fantastic," said Weir. "You can't really praise him highly enough. He came in and looked the part. He was probably the best player on the park and you have to give him great credit for that.

"It's a great start for him and we all want him to go on from that and be a great player for Rangers.

"I don't think there is any comparison to Wayne Rooney, it wouldn't be fair to John to do that. But everyone saw today what he is capable of and that's what we should be talking about.

"To compare him to someone like Wayne is not fair, because Wayne is on a different planet. He has been there and done it, while John is just starting out. There are similarities but there is a long way to go."

Fleck, who had made four substitute appearances prior to Saturday, was promoted by Smith at the end of a week which had seen the Rangers Supporters Trust cite a poor record in youth development as one of the reasons for the launch of their protest campaign.

If that placed the youngster under any additional pressure, it didn't show. In addition to an excellent first touch, intelligent movement and physical strength, he displayed a level of maturity and composure beyond his tender years.

"It perhaps wasn't the easiest situation to bring him in this week, but I don't think that side of things will ever be a problem to him," added Weir.

"You can tell the kind of lad he is. We don't want to build him up too much but he is the kind of lad who isn't affected by anything. His ability speaks for itself, so he has the biggest chance in the world. We're all going to try and help him make the most of it.

"John is respectful of playing for the first team and is a lovely lad. He's very confident but quiet with it. He's got a great chance in the game and we just don't want to build him up too much too soon and expect him to pull up trees. But he definitely has the capabilities to be a bit special.

"You can form an opinion of young players, although it's not always right. John is certainly ticking all the boxes and hopefully it will come to fruition for him. It's very early, but so far so good."

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Rangers...kirk.4888503.jp

Its on, on Tusday aswell. 11:45 and 20:30

And Wednesday morning too at 11:45

Good man (tu)

The Rangers TV schedule on the net is fcuking awful - suppose I could have looked on the sky programme schedule.

Its on, on Tuesday aswell. 11:45 and 20:30

And Wednesday morning too at 11:45

Good man (tu)

The Rangers TV schedule on the net is fcuking awful - suppose I could have looked on the sky programme schedule.

Setanta's TV listings do the trick mate.

I don't watch the Setanta highlights much but it can't be any worse than Ibrox Uncovered. Lyndsay Archibald saying how brilliant we are and Gordan Dalziel giving his 'expert' analysis and constantly comparing Kris Boyd to himself. :anguish: Why we waste money on that channel i don't know, the only good thing about it now is that you can watch over games in full.

I don't watch the Setanta highlights much but it can't be any worse than Ibrox Uncovered. Lyndsay Archibald saying how brilliant we are and Gordan Dalziel giving his 'expert' analysis and constantly comparing Kris Boyd to himself. :anguish: Why we waste money on that channel i don't know, the only good thing about it now is that you can watch over games in full.

I very rarely watch it, that Archibald lassie is horrendous, you'd think she'd get her teeth fixed and that go karting programme was utter drivel.

It's good for the re-run of some of the matches and the youth games but there was one on the other week which was absolutely brutal. We scrapped a win, yet they felt the need to show a game which everyone would rather forget about.

I very rarely watch it, that Archibald lassie is horrendous, you'd think she'd get her teeth fixed and that go karting programme was utter drivel.

It's good for the re-run of some of the matches and the youth games but there was one on the other week which was absolutely brutal. We scrapped a win, yet they felt the need to show a game which everyone would rather forget about.

That new hairstyle as well.

I suppose its maybe part of their programming to re-run the youth games every time? They do seem to go into over drive with them even when its been poor games like you say. I can't stand the interviews these days either, as we know Smith talks so much gash and only the other day Whittaker had this awful hat on during an interview, ffs, whats he doing wearing a white weird looking hat at his club's training ground?