Mark Hateley's column

What a waste of money

Jan 22 2009 Mark Hateley

ANDY WEBSTER makes my blood boil. So does Bobo Balde.

Brahim Hemdani too.

Every club these days seems to have one of them. The guy who's happy to sit on his backside and pick up a fat pay cheque even if it means never kicking a ball in anger again.

Let's get it straight. The world of football would be a far better place if each and every one of these three packed their bags today and got out of town.

The players I have mentioned may have different reasons for downing tools but the bottom line is the same for them all.

They have lost their desire to play football and have become nothing more than a drain on the sport they must once have loved.

I've yet to meet a professional whose motivation for kicking a ball as akid was to make money from doing it. We all started for the same reason - for the pure enjoyment of it.

And, before we go any further, I should point out that I speak from experience.

When I was at Monaco I had two years on the sidelines through injury.

It very nearly drove me off my head.

It was at that stage in my career that I received the phone call from Graeme Souness which turned my life on its head.

Here's something not many people know. When Graeme came in for me and offered me the chance to start all over again at Ibrox, I probably made the worst financial decision of my life.

I had four years still to run on my contract and, if I had chosen to stay on in Monte Carlo, I would have been made for life.

In fact, when I signed for Rangers I actually accepted a deal worth ONE SIXTH of the money I was pocketing in the Principality. And, unlike in Monaco, I also had to pay tax on what Iearned in Glasgow.

Maybe these days the likes of Webster, Balde and Hemdani would say I was crazy to walk away from money like that, especially as Arsene Wenger had made it clear to me I would be in his plans just as soon as I was back to full fitness.

But deep down I knew it was time for me to go. After two of the most frustrating years of my life in a millionaires' playground, I needed a new challenge and new scenery.

I needed to get back to real life. I needed to get back to falling in love with football and proving I could come back, better than ever. Graeme Souness offered me that chance. And Ivery nearly bit his arm off. I couldn't get out of there quickly enough.

Arsene understood what made me tick. He wished me all the best and he said he knew I would come back better and stronger than ever. He was right.

It was all about hunger and drive. I had the self-motivation and the self-pride to make sure I didn't just waste away as a football player and turn my back on all the dreams I had as a kid.

And that's why I feel sick when I see someone such as Webster throwing in the towel.

The lad is only 26 years old for goodness sake. But he has three and half years to run on his £500,000-ayear contract and it seems very much to me as if he'll be happy to sit tight and take every penny rather than take arisk and attempt to rebuild his career.

To me that's a sign of weakness. If he had faith in himself and in his ability then he'd be desperate to get out of Ibrox and to push himself somewhere else.

I know he's had a lot going on since leaving Hearts, what with legal battles and injuries, but he's wasting his career.

This boy had the world at his feet a few years ago. I seem to recall he was being talked about as a future Scotland captain.

But he clearly no longer believes in himself. He has lost his confidence and he has lost his edge.

If it was me, I would be banging down the doors to get out of Murray Park and take a chance somewhere else.

My own pride wouldn't allow me to do anything else and I would be confident that, after a few months, I would have proved my value all over again and got my wages back up to what they were at Ibrox.

Or better.

It strikes me Andy Webster would rather not bother.

He is convinced he'll never get a deal like this again so he's downed tools instead. And that's a crying shame. If only he looked across the dressing room at someone such as Kirk Broadfoot and adopted even half of his attitude.

Kirk might not be anywhere near as naturally gifted as Webster. When Webster was being fast-tracked to the top and billed as the next big thing, Kirk was rolling up his sleeves for the long haul, trying to earn a crust at St Mirren.

Now look at them. One of them is a regular first pick in Walter Smith's defence. The other? Walter wouldn't trust him to lay out the socks.

Rangers are crying out for a new, young centre half but Webster will NOT be that man.

He has burned his bridges with the manager because he has shown himself to be weak and not made of the right stuff.

What a waste. Honestly, I just can't stand seeing people sitting around and letting their career run to a standstill - no matter what their motivation.

There are some players who do it because they feel they have been treated badly by their clubs. This is their retaliation - their way of sticking two fingers up.

Maybe Balde is one of them because he was bombed out of Celtic's team by Gordon Strachan and the pair obviously don't see eye to eye.

There's a great story about the day Balde went to see Peter Lawwell and was told to accept a move to a club down south.

Balde is supposed to have stood up and said something such as: "Mr Lawwell, you are the chief executive of Celtic Football Club. It's your job to look after Celtic's finances. I am the chief executive of Bobo Balde ..."

And with that he was gone. No deal.

No interest. No football.

Balde is another who could move right now and try to salvage his career.

But he won't. He'll sit tight until the last penny of his Celtic contract has dropped into his account in the summer.

But then what? Who in top-level football would touch him with a bargepole?

The man has been virtually holding his club to ransom for the past two years.

He appears to have no interest in football. And football should have no interest in him.

And then there's the curious case of Hemdani - another who could leave right now, who even says he is bored with life in Scotland but who would rather sit tight for five more months than leave before he's been paid in full.

Something went wrong with Hemdani about 18 months ago. I saw him standing at an airport carousel on a European trip, wagging his finger in the face of chief executive Martin Bain and shouting and bawling.

He wanted to leave but Rangers wouldn't let him go. So maybe this is payback time.

If so, then Hemdani is just as guilty as the others in lacking personal pride.

I'll never get my head around it. I'll never understand why a guy who has won European trophies and played with some top clubs, could suddenly be satisfied to sit around for 12 months without seeing any action.

I'm afraid, if that's the type of man you are then football is better off without you

God knows we have suffered more from this than most, there will of course be the argument that we gave people the contracts that allowed them to sit on there arse but have these guys no professional pride.They are all already rich, I am sure most of them will regret this when there relatively short career ends.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Balde is supposed to have stood up and said something such as: "Mr Lawwell, you are the chief executive of Celtic Football Club. It's your job to look after Celtic's finances. I am the chief executive of Bobo Balde ..."

I'm starting to like Balde :lol:

I think thats the first ever good piece I have seen hateley write. Its fantastic. I am totally with him on this

(tu) Same, of course people will say that smith wasted Hemdani, but as a footballer surely he'd rather play than just collect a cheque? Too much about money these days.

thay say Balde refused a silence clause to be paid off and lots of journalists are waiting with baited breath for all the stories he has of life with Chesney

I think thats the first ever good piece I have seen hateley write. Its fantastic. I am totally with him on this

You are? I think what he has said about Webster in particular is a huge pile of shite even by Hatteley's standards.

thay say Balde refused a silence clause to be paid off and lots of journalists are waiting with baited breath for all the stories he has of life with Chesney

:lol:

I might read his book, from the library of course.

Remember Hateley still works for Rangers, I wonder if he knows a bit more about Webster' slow recovery than the rest of us…..

That's a possibilty I suppose.

That was my take on it mate. Seems very unusual his situation, especially given his age. And, the line about laying out socks definately implies there is more too it. Unless, perhaps, part of the idea is to get him fired up and motivated?

It's an awful article. One of the worst i've read.

If anything, it's Balde that's been treated abysmally by Celtic. The club have tried to buy his silence with this confidentiality clause. Balde is right to reject it, does Hately understand how serious the situation could be with him?

As for Hemdani, well if Rangers really wanted rid of him he'd have been gone two seasons ago. It was our own unrealistic demands when Osasuna came calling that meant he stayed.

(tu) Same, of course people will say that smith wasted Hemdani, but as a footballer surely he'd rather play than just collect a cheque? Too much about money these days.

Thats nonsense, mate. Rangers entered into a contract with Brahim Hemdani and he's perfectly entitled to see it out.

I wouldnt say webster doesnt want to play fr rangers, but he is right he should be looking to go

we need to get rid of this martin bain aswell though, who does hemdani think he is shoutting at him in a airport and wanting to leave

if he did that to anyone on here and anyone of yous were doing bains job you would kick him to fuck out of rangers right away.

he is shite aswell passes the ball Back at every chance he gets, slow as a week in the jail why wouldn't we want/Let hm to go?

we dont even need him with davis mendes in midfeild. G.H.T.F.

Thats nonsense, mate. Rangers entered into a contract with Brahim Hemdani and he's perfectly entitled to see it out.

Well no of course he's entitled to see it out, but what i was trying to get at is surely as a footballer he'd want to go somewhere else? Play first team football?

Where you say "It was our own unrealistic demands when Osasuna came calling that meant he stayed. "

i SAY, GOOD! We never ever charge enough for our players. 2 years ago, he was a 1st team player, and, personally I found it nice that we actually didnt just take the first offer like we usually do.

As for Balde, fuck him! seriously dont care. 2 years without a game and they would have accepted offers for him. His choice not to play, and, entirely a fantastic charicature of the modern footballer. All about money

I wouldnt say webster doesnt want to play fr rangers, but he is right he should be looking to go

we need to get rid of this martin bain aswell though, who does hemdani think he is shoutting at him in a airport and wanting to leave

if he did that to anyone on here and anyone of yous were doing bains job you would kick him to fuck out of rangers right away.

he is shite aswell passes the ball at every chance he gets, slow as a week in the jail why wouldn't we want/Let hm to go?

we dont even need him with davis mendes in midfeild. G.H.T.F.

cant see anyone arguing with that, apart from perhaps BP9 :craphead:

As for Balde, fuck him! seriously dont care. 2 years without a game and they would have accepted offers for him. His choice not to play, and, entirely a fantastic charicature of the modern footballer. All about money

I actually couldn't stop laughing when someone told me he wasn't turning up to training and had been seen with a camera about and is now a 'photographer' :lol:

Well no of course he's entitled to see it out, but what i was trying to get at is surely as a footballer he'd want to go somewhere else? Play first team football?

The only club to have shown a serious interest in him over the past 7 months or so were that Turkish mob.

His wage demands halt any French side moving for him, but where else would he get the kind of money that he earns here? Put yourself in his shoes, if you were at (for example) Marseille on a mega contract, would you return to a mid-table SPL club for a quarter of what you earn purely on the basis of first team football? I know i wouldn't, i'd see my contract out unless a team that were able to match my wage swooped.

It's rich from Hately considering the amount of mercenaries that littered the club during his time here. Not a bad word said back then though, nope.

Where you say "It was our own unrealistic demands when Osasuna came calling that meant he stayed. "

i SAY, GOOD! We never ever charge enough for our players. 2 years ago, he was a 1st team player, and, personally I found it nice that we actually didnt just take the first offer like we usually do.

I think there's more to the Balde saga than meets the eye.

Hateley is trying to group the 3 situations together, they are incomparable. A dreadful article.

The only club to have shown a serious interest in him over the past 7 months or so were that Turkish mob.

His wage demands halt any French side moving for him, but where else would he get the kind of money that he earns here? Put yourself in his shoes, if you were at (for example) Marseille on a mega contract, would you return to a mid-table SPL club for a quarter of what you earn purely on the basis of first team football? I know i wouldn't, i'd see my contract out unless a team that were able to match my wage swooped.

Well i guess its a difference of opinion on playing, personally i love playing, and wouldn't want to be sat there, because the way i personally think of it, earning £5k a week, over 2 months, you are still earning more than a lot of people, and over a year, more than most people (apart from fellow footballers).

So no, i guess, if it was me, i'd want first team football, of course preferably at a bigger team, with better football, but anywhere at the end of the day, especially when you are earning more than most people having a 'normal' 9-5 job.

My views might change if i actually was in a situation like that, but i'll never know probably :lol: