Rangers + Width = Good?

OrangeBurn

Heard Billy Dodds saying Rangers width tonight was fantastic.

First time in a long time i've heard anything good being said about our width. With Novo pulling out to the flanks it really gave us that edge.

For the people who watched online or were at the match, was it better than normal?

How good was it?

Most of the time it was pretty good, especially in the second half on the right, but it still wasn't wide enough. I remember the first time I ever saw a Jimmy Calderwood team play, Dumfermline when they were still in the SPL. They played literally to the touchlines and used to rip the bottom half teams apart. We're getting there though. What seems to happen is Davis plays inside (as a CM) and let's Broadfoot play as a winger when they attack; you can see that Papac sits as a centre half when they do this too. So essentially when we attack on the right we play 3-5-2. On the contrary, Papac is clearly being told to do this in trainning but with no established left sided player it seems to vary from game to game. Adam would be all over the place, McCulloch would hoof it before he even got the chance to play it wider, Lafferty would cut too far inside and completely forget about his own wing in doing so, and Naismith does a bit of everything. Technically, we need two better attacking full backs for this to work, but for SPL games if they keep sticking to this system it'll start to click eventually, as it's doing some 6 months later on the right wing.

If we had two sets of wide players then it would look so much better.

Instead, on the right we've got Broadfoot (CB) and Davis (CM), while Papac (CB) and Naismith/Novo/Fleck/Lafferty (all Strikers) cover the left hand side.

We really do need a couple of good wingers and a couple of good fullbacks. Would make a world of difference to our play.

I think we tried to get it wide but we have to take into consideration how narrow Falkirk were. Dodds also commented on this a good few times, they played a diamond in the middle and were very narrow which gave us tons of room out wide.

Utd and Celtc will be better gauges of our current form imo.

If Davis is staying on the right, we need to recreate the type of partnership Numan and Albertz had, a player like the one we sold a year ago.

Happy enough with Papac but to balance it we need an out and out left winger.

If none of the major players leave, add a decent CB RB and a LW (in the summer) to that team tonight, replace Ferguson with Thomson and things would be looking a bit better.

While we are nowhere near the finished article (or even close to it), it was a step in the right direction, amazing to see what the inclusion of a player who busts his gut for the team can do.

Some of the others should get a kick up the arse and be asked why they can't show the same passion and will.

Iain, don't you just find Hampden awful to be at? The stadium never seems settled, people constantly going up and down out of their seats like yo yos to buy food and drink, annoys me to no end, can never see the match. :anguish: It always happens but it seemed particularly bad tonight, i hope people will sit on their arses for the final.

Iain, don't you just find Hampden awful to be at? The stadium never seems settled, people constantly going up and down out of their seats like yo yos to buy food and drink, annoys me to no end, can never see the match. :anguish: It always happens but it seemed particularly bad tonight, i hope people will sit on their arses for the final.

I'd forgotten how small it was.

Last time I was at Hampden was for the 3-2 Lovenkrands game. It's so depressingly small and it really hits home just how good Ibrox really is.

Woeful atmosphere but I felt the Gers fans made up for about 80% of the 24,527 crowd so well done to us :)

Hampden is a fcuking shit-hole, shite stadium, shite pitch and shite atmosphere.

Whoever designed it and went ahead with the plans should be shot!

My old man strongly objected to Hampden getting built due to the potential pitch problems, but all the political and beuracratic bullshit that went on back then meant that it had to be built. It's a terrible example of a national stadium.

He also stopped a SegaWorld being built in Glasgow though, bastard :(

Indeed, at least they made a decent job of refurbishing Wembley. What an awful reconstruction Hampden is, i was too young to be going to alot of games during that period but i bet cup semi finals and finals were alot better when played at Ibrox and yes, probably even Parkhead!

Indeed, at least they made a decent job of refurbishing Wembley

They did, but look at the ridiculous amount of money it cost and the prices they are charging fans!