If we lose 2000 fans

The Weaver

because of sectarian chanting are they not worth losing? Without getting on a high horse its not really on is it? An example is that I went to one of my first Rangers matches in 1977 against West Brom and they had Tony Cunningham and Cyril Regis playing and the monkey noises were out of order. I was 8 and had to ask my father what that was all about. Our club has a great tradition of being fair minded and although it goes against our mindset, I think it would be best for everyone if we would think before opening their mouths. Your allowed to think it but if it gets us it trouble?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its a fair point. racism was rife in football and was accepted at one time.

what would we say if someone was saying ill make monkey noises all i want its traditional.

my father tells me of a black celtc player in the 70's i think who took quite a bit of abuse shall we say.

the worlds moved on.

because of sectarian chanting are they not worth losing? Without getting on a high horse its not really on is it? An example is that I went to one of my first Rangers matches in 1977 against West Brom and they had Tony Cunningham and Cyril Regis playing and the monkey noises were out of order. I was 8 and had to ask my father what that was all about. Our club has a great tradition of being fair minded and although it goes against our mindset, I think it would be best for everyone if we would think before opening their mouths. Your allowed to think it but if it gets us it trouble?

I might be wrong about this, but as someone with not many posts myself its not really worth your while starting a thread with a strong opinion like this. Even more regular posters who agree with you won't back you up when the ones who disagree start tearing you to shreds.

My opinion though - I strongly believe we should be allowed to sing the songs we want to sing, but I do think its time to get sensile about it and find a way to make our opinion law without damaging the club we all love in the meantime.

fuck off!!!!!!

the problem is though that its a one way street in scotland

i bet the minority of rangers fans would shut it if the beggars were getting the same treatment in regards to their own "traditional" songs

unfortunately, when you pick on one side out of a double headed arguement, that one side with inevitably fight back through desperation

If they're going to outlaw certain songs, then so be it, we'll have to cut them out as a support if we want to avoid sanctions. I personally don't think outlawing a song is an effective way to deal with a problem, but if that's their plan then they're going about it the wrong way.

If they want to sort it out properly, they should be appointing a panel, and taking a good look at every song either side of the Old Firm sing. There's no point in just fining the club because a few dicks can't keep quiet, and dealing with individual instances as and when they happen, all that's doing is firefighting. If they want to cut out the source, they have to have a good, long look at every song sung by either side of the Old Firm, decide which ones are actually offensive in ways which would contravene the law, and then put the whole thing to bed as a debate.

Does it really matter about how many posts youve got? I love Rangers and I would like to think that people on here think the same. I wont my son to grow up knowing there is a club in 30 years time so he can pass it on and it has fuck all to do with religion.

Your not allowed to come from Denmark and have an opinion? Rangers is an international club son.

the last 3 poaters we have had from Denmark have started negative threads. Indeed canadian bacon confirmed the guys ip address suggested he wasnt from Denmark, maybe admin could confirm :rolleyes:

Racism isn't something I've come across at Ibrox or away from home, the tims on the other hand, well let's just say the wee twerp who was on the back page of the paper taunting Diouf is not alone in that cesspit Porkheid...

racist and sectarian always seem to be mentioned together, when in actual fact they have nothing to do with each other - i cant ever remember any racist abuse at a Rangers game (from our fans anyway)

The most recent I can remember (was not at the game) was an Old Firm game on 8th May 2004, where Bobo Balde was targetted by 'some' Rangers fans.

However, this is not an old firm thing, with Mark Walters claiming his worst treatment was at Hearts and a Dundee fan was in court over racial abuse hurled at Bobo Balde & Momo Sylla.

Its 2011 friends and whats tradition is back in the last century. We are and still will be a prod team but in this day and age we have to look at the way we are percieved. I for one think its embarresing to put on the text tv and be told that we hate catholics.Rangers is not just a football team its an institution which in any walk of life should give a positive feeling. Rangers is a club that is loved worldwide, lets keep it that way.

NO fan of the Rangers is "worth losing"!!!!!

What kinda school did ye go tae? Ye were 8 and didnae know whit fuckin monkey noises were?

:shifty: Denmark? Aye, right.

It's time for fans to put the reputation and the good of the club before personal feeling towards other segments of society and understand that we are living in the 21st century - not the dark ages.

If they can't or won't change their attitudes and behaviour I would hope they have the good grace to stop going to games - although I won't hold me breathe. :dry:

.... We are and still will be a prod team ......

Proud or Protestant ?

Proud yes... Best club in the world..

Protestant no.. That chapter in the clubs history effectively ended when Souness signed Mo.

Would we miss the 2000+ morons who value their right, to drag the clubs reputation through the gutter, more than they value the club? No..

They can shuffle off and support Lewes FC. They will enjoy the Nov 5th celebrations down there..

Proud or Protestant ?

Proud yes... Best club in the world..

Protestant no.. That chapter in the clubs history effectively ended when Souness signed Mo.

Would we miss the 2000+ morons who value their right, to drag the clubs reputation through the gutter, more than they value the club? No..

They can shuffle off and support Lewes FC. They will enjoy the Nov 5th celebrations down there..

Don't make me laugh.

Are you seriously saying our club is no longer Protestant due to the signing of Mo Johnston?

Whit a fuckin statement for any Rangers fan tae come oot way.

We had Kaffliks on our books long before Mo Johnston - mibee ye should have a wee look at the history of the club before making stupid comments like this.

Comments that don't do the club, it's fans, or yourself any good.