If we lose 2000 fans

The Weaver

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

because of sectarian chanting are they not worth losing? Without getting on a high horse its not really on is it? An example is that I went to one of my first Rangers matches in 1977 against West Brom and they had Tony Cunningham and Cyril Regis playing and the monkey noises were out of order. I was 8 and had to ask my father what that was all about. Our club has a great tradition of being fair minded and although it goes against our mindset, I think it would be best for everyone if we would think before opening their mouths. Your allowed to think it but if it gets us it trouble?

I agree with you but as already appears to be the case those that disagree will shower you with abuse.

Are you seriously saying our club is no longer Protestant due to the signing of Mo Johnston?

Whit a fuckin statement for any Rangers fan tae come oot way.

We had Kaffliks on our books long before Mo Johnston - mibee ye should have a wee look at the history of the club before making stupid comments like this.

Comments that don't do the club, it's fans, or yourself any good.

maybe you should go read your history books, but this time read the words rather than just look at the photos..

and ffs get a spell checker

maybe you should go read your history books, but this time read the words rather than just look at the photos..

and ffs get a spell checker

So let me get this right.

Rangers FC were no longer a Protestant club after the signing of Mo Johnston, even though Mo Johnston wasn't the club's first catholic signing?

Care to explain this one please?

So let me get this right.

Rangers FC were no longer a Protestant club after the signing of Mo Johnston, even though Mo Johnston wasn't the club's first catholic signing?

Care to explain this one please?

Go read your books and you will find the information you need.. I can't be arsed educating you about our history

Go read your books and you will find the information you need.. I can't be arsed educating you about our history

What books seriously? We had catholic players ROI internationals and just about anything else you want. Dont let a good bit of bullshit get in the way of FACTS though :rolleyes:

A simple explanation of your comment would suffice.

Or can't you explain it?

I'll ask again. Did Rangers FC become a non-Protestant club because they signed Mo Johnston?

Even though Mo Johnston was not the first catholic to sign for the club?

A simple explanation of your comment would suffice.

Or can't you explain it?

I'll ask again. Did Rangers FC become a non-Protestant club because they signed Mo Johnston?

Even though Mo Johnston was not the first catholic to sign for the club?

can't be arsed.. this is the best you will get..

Souness's time at Ibrox was marked by persistent controversy. His most noteworthy act was the controversial signing of Mo Johnston in 1989. Rangers – historically a team supported by Protestants – were widely held to have implemented for most of the 20th century a policy of refusing to sign Roman Catholics. Although several previous Rangers players came from Catholic backgrounds (including, at the time of Johnston's signing, John Spencer), their religious background was not made public and none of them were high-profile players. Johnston's arrival at Ibrox was significant because it signaled a very public end to a discriminatory signing policy.

and even then it doesn't go into the finer points on the matter

Can't even begin to comntemplate that one Rangers fan has a higher right to cast judgement on who or whom should not be a fan of Rangers. The fans the Weaver is talking about financially support the club and follow them everywhere. Not condoning the singing whatsoever but I don't think anyone from denmark can take the morale highground when they don't even go to the games..

Souness's time at Ibrox was marked by persistent controversy. His most noteworthy act was the controversial signing of Mo Johnston in 1989. Rangers – historically a team supported by Protestants – were widely held to have implemented for most of the 20th century a policy of refusing to sign Roman Catholics. Although several previous Rangers players came from Catholic backgrounds (including, at the time of Johnston's signing, John Spencer), their religious background was not made public and none of them were high-profile players. Johnston's arrival at Ibrox was significant because it signaled a very public end to a discriminatory signing policy.

So mo johnstone wasn't the first catholic to sign for Rangers ????

All the type of wording you'd expect from any good journalist.

Incidentally, what history book is this from? I wouldn't mind a wee read at it.

So Celtic are not a Catholic club as they have signed many Protestants in their time? Also Racism was rife at every club in the 60's, 70's and 80's including those horrible bheasts from the East End. In fact probally one of the worst instance's took place at Torbett Towers, but don't let that get in the way of draggin Rangers fans down to the level of Racists.