If we lose 2000 fans

The Weaver

because of sectarian chanting are they not worth losing? Without getting on a high horse its not really on is it? An example is that I went to one of my first Rangers matches in 1977 against West Brom and they had Tony Cunningham and Cyril Regis playing and the monkey noises were out of order. I was 8 and had to ask my father what that was all about. Our club has a great tradition of being fair minded and although it goes against our mindset, I think it would be best for everyone if we would think before opening their mouths. Your allowed to think it but if it gets us it trouble?

tim tim timmy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this right.

Rangers FC were no longer a Protestant club after the signing of Mo Johnston, even though Mo Johnston wasn't the club's first catholic signing?

Care to explain this one please?

i think the point is.. rangers were making a statement with the johnson signing. many catholics have since played. prior to mo johston, only one catholic ever played for rangers, to their knowledge. im pretty sure this is the case. his name was don kitchenbrand or something. rangers didnt know he was catholic. he revealed his faith after he left.

my father tells me of a black celtc player in the 70's i think who took quite a bit of abuse shall we say.

the worlds moved on.

Paul Wilson? Don’t think he was black, but he did take some abuse although not racist as I recall.

I do remember him getting wild abuse at a Rangers Vs Cuntic match shortly after his fathers death.

The massed ranks of bears at Ibrox sang him part of the chorus from a hit by the band Middle of the Road called: ‘Chirpy Cheep Cheep’.

The lyrics? “Where’s your daddy gone? Where’s your daddy gone.”

I’m sure that match ended 2-2 with Wilson having the last laugh by scoring one (mibbe both?) of 666’s goals.

most want to sing and will sing WAT WE WANT id rather loose you as a supporter

The Rangers supporters are smarter than that. When TBB was first proving problematic, the support dropped it like a hot potato.

And just how do you ‘loose’ a supporter?

My son is 13 and he has been at enough matches at Ibrox. He loves the club no end and although hes not born in Scotland, he has the identity. On his facebook side he was told that he hated catholics because he was brought up to love this club. Do we really hate catholics or to be honest is it just our small minded ignorance.

Paul Wilson? Don’t think he was black, but he did take some abuse although not racist as I recall.

I do remember him getting wild abuse at a Rangers Vs Cuntic match shortly after his fathers death.

The massed ranks of bears at Ibrox sang him part of the chorus from a hit by the band Middle of the Road called: ‘Chirpy Cheep Cheep’.

The lyrics? “Where’s your daddy gone? Where’s your daddy gone.”

I’m sure that match ended 2-2 with Wilson having the last laugh by scoring one (mibbe both?) of 666’s goals.

i am not sure of the name. though i think he was indeed not black but perhaps mixed race.

would that be right.

anyway times have changed thats really my point.

My son is 13 and he has been at enough matches at Ibrox. He loves the club no end and although hes not born in Scotland, he has the identity. On his facebook side he was told that he hated catholics because he was brought up to love this club. Do we really hate catholics or to be honest is it just our small minded ignorance.

To hate Celtic is to hate kafliks in their fucking warped world

i think the point is.. rangers were making a statement with the johnson signing. many catholics have since played. prior to mo johston, only one catholic ever played for rangers, to their knowledge. im pretty sure this is the case. his name was don kitchenbrand or something. rangers didnt know he was catholic. he revealed his faith after he left.

Is that right? How sure are you then?

:shifty:

because of sectarian chanting are they not worth losing? Without getting on a high horse its not really on is it? An example is that I went to one of my first Rangers matches in 1977 against West Brom and they had Tony Cunningham and Cyril Regis playing and the monkey noises were out of order. I was 8 and had to ask my father what that was all about. Our club has a great tradition of being fair minded and although it goes against our mindset, I think it would be best for everyone if we would think before opening their mouths. Your allowed to think it but if it gets us it trouble?

Not checked other posts but your a tarrier,was at the game and your talking shite.

can't be arsed.. this is the best you will get..

Souness's time at Ibrox was marked by persistent controversy. His most noteworthy act was the controversial signing of Mo Johnston in 1989. Rangers – historically a team supported by Protestants – were widely held to have implemented for most of the 20th century a policy of refusing to sign Roman Catholics. Although several previous Rangers players came from Catholic backgrounds (including, at the time of Johnston's signing, John Spencer), their religious background was not made public and none of them were high-profile players. Johnston's arrival at Ibrox was significant because it signaled a very public end to a discriminatory signing policy.

and even then it doesn't go into the finer points on the matter

Your a fenian,in the grand scheme of things Rangers have played proportionately more catholics than celtic have played Protestants,celtic are more sectarian by facts alone try and prove me wrong.

Isn't it time we stopped this shite about us being a good Proddie club and hating Celtic because they are all child molesting Kaffliks. If any of the faith defenders in our support were really as religious as they seem to pretend to be Ibrox would be virtualy empty tomorrow as it is Easter Sunday, possibly the most important day in the Christian calender, surely you should be in church instead of spewing your bile at your knuckle dragging counterparts from the Parkhead.

I used to love The Billy Boys song unfortunately time has moved on, its day is past. The chant could live on with a couple of word changes. Whether you like it or not, the fines etc the club faces and the eventual loss of points or banning from tournaments which is the inevitable result of "we will sing what we want" is going to damage the club.

Maybe Mark Hately is right, our reputation as a support is at an all time low,the club is being dragged through the gutter by what I hope is a minority (although looking at the posts in some of these threads it is hard to believe it,although I believe the normal supporters dont post because of the standard taig responses ). Maybe it is time for Glasgows finest to start pulling some of the hate peddlars from the crowd on both sides and issuing banning orders.

Cue the usual bollocks from the usual posters.

Isn't it time we stopped this shite about us being a good Proddie club and hating Celtic because they are all child molesting Kaffliks. If any of the faith defenders in our support were really as religious as they seem to pretend to be Ibrox would be virtualy empty tomorrow as it is Easter Sunday, possibly the most important day in the Christian calender, surely you should be in church instead of spewing your bile at your knuckle dragging counterparts from the Parkhead.

I used to love The Billy Boys song unfortunately time has moved on, its day is past. The chant could live on with a couple of word changes. Whether you like it or not, the fines etc the club faces and the eventual loss of points or banning from tournaments which is the inevitable result of "we will sing what we want" is going to damage the club.

Maybe Mark Hately is right, our reputation as a support is at an all time low,the club is being dragged through the gutter by what I hope is a minority (although looking at the posts in some of these threads it is hard to believe it,although I believe the normal supporters dont post because of the standard taig responses ). Maybe it is time for Glasgows finest to start pulling some of the hate peddlars from the crowd on both sides and issuing banning orders.

I can your meaning but what is sectarian...that's what their problem is

Well said. And yes "cue the usual bollocks from the usual posters"

You do not have to go to church to be religious.

You do not have to go to church to be religious.

Is that right.

I would suggest, you dont have to go to church to be a believer. If you claim to be relgious, I would have thought sticking your nose in the occasional church would have to be a prerequiset. Screaming F*** the Pope at a football match doesnt quite cut it for me. Of course I might just be a bit of a traditionalist.

Happy Easter. ;)

Is that right.

I would suggest, you dont have to go to church to be a believer. If you claim to be relgious, I would have thought sticking your nose in the occasional church would have to be a prerequiset. Screaming F*** the Pope at a football match doesnt quite cut it for me. Of course I might just be a bit of a traditionalist.

Happy Easter. ;)

How do you know how may fans attend church. And to be honest we do not have many fans who now shout FTP.

why attack your own support for singing these songs?

that's the problem with our fans,rather than sticking together some would prefer to stick a knife in your back.

whether you agree with the songs or not is irrelevant,we should be sticking together as a united front on this or any other media,c***ic,FARE,attacks.

for the record,i don't sing TBB or whatever at games but that doesn't automatically make me turn against the fans who do.

i'll still respect their views/beliefs just the same,we're on the same side.

some fans need to remember that.

Good post. Unfortunately, you'll get called a handwringer or a tim on here.

Too many are going to bring our club down to the gutter. I don't give a flying fuck about fans personal opinions on politics, race, religion, anything. You go to Rangers matches to support the team, not bring the club into disrepute.

Some fans on here are ridiculous :anguish:.

Good post. Unfortunately, you'll get called a handwringer or a tim on here.

Too many are going to bring our club down to the gutter. I don't give a flying fuck about fans personal opinions on politics, race, religion, anything. You go to Rangers matches to support the team, not bring the club into disrepute.

Some fans on here are ridiculous :anguish:.

Why did you wait until now to be unhappy about the songs.

How do you know how may fans attend church. And to be honest we do not have many fans who now shout FTP.

I accept that my circle of friends might not be an accurate representation of the entire support but there are not many regular attenders amongst them.

However my point was originally, religion has absolutely fuck all to do with football. Anti Catholic chants (please dont give me the shite about it is Fenians we decry) should be stopped as should the bigotted offerings at Parkhead.

People spewing this nonsense are making Scottish football disgrace in the eyes of just about everyone who hears it worldwide.

Why did you wait until now to be unhappy about the songs.

Again I accept I have been guilty in the past. I loved singing TBB, still raises the hairs on my neck thinking about it. However times have changed, we must change as well, whether we lke it or not.