The Clutha tragedy has put Ibrox strife into perspective

Bothwellbear

Calm down folks, he says only one thing about the Clutha Bar tragedy, most of the article is about his links with EK's football team and charity initiatives which is what he was being asked about. Some right moaning fuckers within our support who love nothing more than to moan,be negative and find fault with something or other. Its true though, football IS just a game, its not the be-all and end-all. Those that think it is, really need to get a grip.

Well said (tu)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why any tragedy can make what happened at our club any better you cant equate the two.

It's not about making what happened at our club any better. It's about realising what's important in life, that football is merely a game. It's pointing out that tragedies such as having someone you loved die while simply going out for a pint on a Friday night makes you realise that whether you win 3 points in a game of football or not, it's rather unimportant in the grands chime of things

It's becoming a bit of a well-worn cliche. "<insert tragedy here> puts football into perspective."

Of course it dwarfs football and most personal issues you may be having into insignificance for a time. You can't help empathising with the people who are directly affected by such an event, and you feel thankful that it isn't you that's affected.

Does anybody think rangers would have been dealt fairer if the Clutha accident had happened when Rangers were in trouble, no way, business as usual. Ally has a habit of talking pro -everybody, who have shit on Rangers. No more mr nice guy that's what I want to hear from anybody connected with Rangers.

That doesn't make him weak, that makes him stronger and better than any of them. You don't get many people like that, who're able to turn the other cheek, most people give in to some base desire for revenge and it's those people who just make heated situations worse. I'm pretty proud that we're fronted by a man who would seek to find the good in everybody around him. Mainly because I think "no-one likes us, we don't care" is a load of shite.

That doesn't make him weak, that makes him stronger and better than any of them. You don't get many people like that, who're able to turn the other cheek, most people give in to some base desire for revenge and it's those people who just make heated situations worse. I'm pretty proud that we're fronted by a man who would seek to find the good in everybody around him. Mainly because I think "no-one likes us, we don't care" is a load of shite.

Whats that say in your sig?

It's not about making what happened at our club any better. It's about realising what's important in life, that football is merely a game. It's pointing out that tragedies such as having someone you loved die while simply going out for a pint on a Friday night makes you realise that whether you win 3 points in a game of football or not, it's rather unimportant in the grands chime of things

So you can use this analogy to say anything other than tragedy important, Death happens everyday and comes to us all, makes what happened to our club no less important to me.

We have become a nation of mourners.

I went to school with Gary Arthur's sister and knew Gary very well, big Rangers supporters. I did take time out to think about what had happened to him and how his family would be affected and yes it did put my stupid issues into perspective. Ally is no different to any of us and will deal with his issues his way and if that means drawing comparisons between where he is at and that of those who died in the Clutha bar so be it.

So you can use this analogy to say anything other than tragedy important, Death happens everyday and comes to us all, makes what happened to our club no less important to me.

We have become a nation of mourners.

Christ, wouldn't like you to be the doctor that tells me my loved one has died.

Some people are gonna see a tragedy such as this as more important than a game of football. Thems the brakes

For me every incident in the GB is being treated like an American tragedy these days, in fact anything happens in America we get to here about it as though it happened in the Trongate. I think we're fast becoming an extension out their backdoor and it won't be long before there is an OTT response to everything followed by hysteria and fake-ish emotion.

I think as tragic as that helicopter crash was, the response has been somewhat bizarre and I think we'll be hearing about it for years to come in one way or another.

I'd suggest it's the uniqueness of it that has piqued people's interest/emotion. Folk get murdered every other day and I wouldnt say people get over fly emotional about it. It's not often a helicopter crashes into a pub, killing a fairly large number of people. It's one of those ones where you probably think, 'shit, that could easily have been me or someone I love'

We may well be becoming a bit OTT like you say, but honestly, I'd rather people were overly emotional about something like that, than totally uber-cynical

You must have been typing that up as I edited my post to point out that in this case it's a bit unusual across the board.

The American response to everything isn't something we need here though. Especially as it's so fake at times it's painful and actually plain disrespectful.

It's had to describe what it is I see happening, not over the helicopter crash it's self but events everywhere covered for us on tv etc. It's the tv interviews with extended family, passers by who seen nothing being interviewed like they are a major witness. People expressing emotion and making speeches etc which are clearly bollocks due to the removed nature of the person speaking.

Ach I know what you mean. There's obviously an element of people jumping on a bandwagon. Watching their exactions to Mandela on twitter was bizarre, like it was a contest to see who could say the most 'meaningful' thing (seemed you were hip ands cored more points if you referred to him as 'madiba')

But at the same time it's dangerous to claim to know what people feel. I was down south visiting a friend who had lived here a few years. A very genuine person who was visibly upset despite not having much of a link to the events at all. I think you never know what you are going to feel about events. I've been massively moved and upset by some things that have happened on the other side oft he world, with little to no connection to me. At the same time, I've known people that have died who I should feel connected to and sad about, but was left cold.

For that reason, I just think you have to let people feel what they want to feel. Might be genuine, might not. Impossible for another person to judge though I guess

I know mate but it's when you can see through it, it pisses me off. It cheapens and taints the whole thing for me. Frankly I get annoyed by the way they bang on about some things as well. Let me put it like this, over the globe at any given moment there is something worse happening we don't get to hear about yet they drive home the ones we're "meant" to care about.

Ally's comment about the clutha bar tragedy putting our troubles into perspective is true in reality but for me personally I was fortunate not to have been affected by that helicopter crash, the troubles at my club though have personally affected me badly for years. So which tragedy is worse for me personally?! You get what I mean? I don't wish to sound harsh but no one here is giving a fuck about todays disaster in China or India, Africa is just a begging advert on tv between Deal or No Deal, so it's not like I lack empathy others have.

One of the guys above nailed it, it doesn't lessen the effect the troubles on our club have had on us just because something worse has happened to others.

The media gets on my tits though, it catches on and then everyone thinks that way. American's are spoon-fed what to think and we're going the same way.

Can't disagree with that. I think it's meant more generally than all that though. I took it simply as, loads of folk dying puts into perspective worrying about a game and getting upset if we don't win. I'd be staggered if people couldn't agree on that

No, no one likes us is a fact, or have you been sleeping for the last two years.