Disgrace

A Rangers fan was fined £200 for running on to the pitch at Hampden while a Celtic supporter admitted making sectarian remarks at the Scottish Cup semi-final.

Rangers supporter Dale Hill, 21, from Belfast, Northern Ireland, admitted leaving the north stand and running on to the pitch at Hampden Park on April 17. He jumped over the security barrier and towards the Rangers players. 

Procurator fiscal depute Stuart Faure said he was chased by stadium security staff who were helped by police, who apprehended him. He was arrested and appeared from custody at Glasgow Sheriff Court, where he admitted breaching the peace.  

Sheriff Paul Crozier fined him £200 and said a football banning order was "not merited".

Celtic fan Sam Miller, 26, from Essex, admitted making sectarian remarks after the match. 

The self-employed poker player pleaded guilty to breaching the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act by shouting, swearing, gesticulating and making sectarian remarks at Rangers fans and police officers.

Miller also admitted resisting arrest on April 17, at Hampden Park. He admitted the charges after being arrested at the match when police spotted him walking towards Rangers fans after the final whistle.

He was seen shouting and gesturing in an aggressive manner at the fans as they celebrated, and some were beginning to leave. 

The fiscal, Mr Faure said: "He was shouting 'f*****g orange b******s'. Police officers heard him use that phrase repeatedly.

"The officers went towards the accused and told him he was under arrest and placed their hands on him.

"It was at this stage he deliberately tensed his arms making it more difficult for the police officers to take him in to custody."

Sentence was deferred until next month for reports and bail was granted with the condition he does not attend any regulated football match in Scotland.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

run onto the pitch and you are getting arrested. Some common sense in the fine and no banning order for me.

Now the cellic fan for getting arrested cause he is shouting a load of shite - that i dont agree with.

So if the Rangers fans reacted he's basically incited a riot and got some bluenoses jailed all because the wee bastard can't keep his mouth shut, is a bad loser and wanted to offend us? ... we are the big bad ones and he's a wee angel who shouldn't get punished. Makes sense that.

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

So if the Rangers fans reacted he's basically incited a riot and got some bluenoses jailed all because the wee bastard can't keep his mouth shut, is a bad loser and wanted to offend us? ... we are the big bad ones and he's a wee angel who shouldn't get punished. Makes sense that.

no. Nobody should be getting punished. Its stupidity on his part but the randomness of this arrest when there is 50K in the stands is obscene. I would be saying the same thing If it was a Rangers fan giving it fucking fenian bastard and getting arrested. 

Theres no big bad ones, theres no bad losers , theres no angels. Theres just a law that shouldn't be there in the first place because its unworkable. The fact its a cellic fan this time doesn't change that.

Just now, cushynumber said:

no. Nobody should be getting punished. Its stupidity on his part but the randomness of this arrest when there is 50K in the stands is obsene. I would be saying the same thing If it was a Rangers fan giving it fucking fenian bastard and getting arrested. 

Theres no big bad ones, theres no bad losers , theres no angels. Theres just a law that shouldn't be there in the first place because its unworkable. The fact its a cellic fan this time doesn't change that.

I agree about the stupid law being there but I can't agree that he's a victim of that. Gesturing, baiting and acting agressively towards Rangers fans calling them orange bastards in front of Police you deserve lifted. I'd say the same about a Rangers fan doing the same to them.

That's different from a whole supporting singing songs tthat offend your rivals during the match. Which is where the law is a disgrace.

If I'm one of them Rangers fans this lad was gesturing to, I'm looking for the Police to actually do their job before I go over and smash him - and they did, so fair play to them.

Wouldn't that be a breach even if there was no offensive behaviour bill as he's doing a lot more than just singing songs? Surely the police can't let us go towards each other shouting abuse without doing something. Guy's a clown. Singing songs is one thing but he would have caused a scrap. What sort of bear would have let him get near without eventually dropping him. Glad he never made it because, as usual, other decent supporters would have ended up jailed as well.

17 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

If your that offended at being called an orange bastard you need to man up a bit son! 

Did you have the same opinion when the boy got done for singing the billy boys?

The Offensive Behaviour at Football Act or whatever it's called is a fucking joke! 

The precident has been set & he should get done for it but only because of the precident set not because the 'crime' deserved to be punished! 

7 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I agree about the stupid law being there but I can't agree that he's a victim of that. Gesturing, baiting and acting agressively towards Rangers fans calling them orange bastards in front of Police you deserve lifted. I'd say the same about a Rangers fan doing the same to them.

That's different from a whole supporting singing songs tthat offend your rivals during the match. Which is where the law is a disgrace.

If I'm one of them Rangers fans this lad was gesturing to, I'm looking for the Police to actually do their job before I go over and smash him - and they did, so fair play to them.

I feel dirty agreeing with you. 

1 minute ago, scottyc06 said:

If your that offended at being called an orange bastard you need to man up a bit son! 

Did you have the same opinion when the boy got done for singing the billy boys?

The Offensive Behaviour at Football Act or whatever it's called is a fucking joke! 

The precident has been set & he should get done for it but only because of the precident set not because the 'crime' deserved to be punished! 

You are missing the point completely.

If you can't understand the difference, after I explained it out in that post you quoted above then you are a bit soft in the head.

It's not about offence it's about intent and the fact a guy is baiting you and trying to incite something. Maybe your the type that would just walk away and let him continue?

7 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Wouldn't that be a breach even if there was no offensive behaviour bill as he's doing a lot more than just singing songs? Surely the police can't let us go towards each other shouting abuse without doing something. Guy's a clown. Singing songs is one thing but he would have caused a scrap. What sort of bear would have let him get near without eventually dropping him. Glad he never made it because, as usual, other decent supporters would have ended up jailed as well.

The law is black and white really but it fails to see the difference between banter and confrontation.

Singing a song or acting aggressive towards someone

Unreal