Warburtons style of play

MolsGoals

49 minutes ago, daverfc13 said:

Totally agree , we seen against Celtic what can happen when u put the ball in the box, Halliday fucks up his cross, doesn't beat the first man, yet we still get a lucky bounce and Miller scores

It could be said that almost all goals have an element of chance.  The McKay goal was fired through the pack and on another day a man could have been in the way though in this case it wasn't the type of 10 man pack we often face.

We generally have so much possession and pressure that if anything maybe we just aren't taking enough shots.  You would think that in such a situation if we just keep firing shots at goal sooner or later most of the time something has to give and I don't care if we're scoring with deflections as long as the ball is in the net.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

It could be said that almost all goals have an element of chance.  The McKay goal was fired through the pack and on another day a man could have been in the way though in this case it wasn't the type of 10 man pack we often face.

We generally have so much possession and pressure that if anything maybe we just aren't taking enough shots.  You would think that in such a situation if we just keep firing shots at goal sooner or later most of the time something has to give and I don't care if we're scoring with deflections as long as the ball is in the net.

?This is the one big concession MW should make for the reasons you highlight....JIST FUCKIN SHOOT FFS....it's what the game's all about!!

4 hours ago, GrizzlyBear72 said:

Agree with all your points, but enlarging the squad will probably be kept to a bare minimum....perhaps one or two players added to the overall squad size. MW doesn't want players to be training hard all week with little chance of game time....creates disharmony and affects moral in these players! Joined up thinking from our Mark imo ?.

Probably the one point where I disagree with MW - to challenge on all fronts - and ( hopefully ) European football - plus allowing for some long term injuries we won't cope with a small squad and need some decent cover and depth to cope. MW might need a season to learn that tho' 

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Probably the one point where I disagree with MW - to challenge on all fronts - and ( hopefully ) European football - plus allowing for some long term injuries we won't cope with a small squad and need some decent cover and depth to cope. MW might need a season to learn that tho' 

I think Warburton is looking for versatile players who can play in a number of positions and provide cover that way,  it's a good point, we might be a bit bare at times but he prefers that to an unhappy squad.

6 hours ago, GrizzlyBear72 said:

MW will not "change it up occasionally"....that is his whole point....there is No 'plan b'....doesn't exist! 

Plan B as MW reiterated many times is to do Plan A better.  Really, really looking forward to the cup final and next season.

What a lot of nonsense...

We have only failed to score in 2 games all season, the defense and depth of squad is the problem.

If we have Holt out or someone like McKay/Halliday, more recently Forrester, you can tell the level drops when guys like Clark and Shiels come in and its not just their ability with the ball but the movement and contribution they give to the full team. As we gain more and more plaudits, rightfully so, for our style of football; teams will come and sit back hoping to nick a goal then defend for their lives.

The way we play gives us control of the ball and allows us to dictate the play, as much as playing it long looking for flick on's works, its a percentage game as you are relying on 4-5 different variables coming off for it to work.

I am confident that with a few additions and a full pre-season for MoH and Forrester we will come out firing again, I just hope we can pick up a little before the Final

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

?Definitely....maybe an area where our Manager's inexperience is showing through.

32 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Plan B as MW reiterated many times is to do Plan A better.  Really, really looking forward to the cup final and next season.

?Dead on SD and, aye, the cup final and next season can't come quick enough for me....onwards and upwards mate!!

I doubt if the style of play will change next season.  Not even sure if he'd look to sign an out and out goal scoring striker.  Even aside from the difficulty in finding one that would be affordable and who might be likely to step up to the striker plate at Ibrox and do the same or better job here.   Can't help wondering if additions to forward players will be primarily about their versatility in playing across the front line with similar versatility and mobility from midfield players who would be charged with getting forward and getting shots on goal.   Forward play characterised by crisp tempo, excellent ball retention and ball recovery, versatility and attitude of possession with end product of goal threat.   Not really any different from this season but with an improved squad (quality and numbers) to do it.

One area where it will be interesting to see how he adapts the style of play and finds players to respond to it is in the approach we take to dealing with being picked off at pace on the break when we lose possession.    Going 1-0 down home or away to a team that picks us off on the break then sits with 10 men behind the ball to defend it may be a very different thing to deal with in the Premiership than it is against the likes of the clubs we faced this season - just look at the Alloa and Livi games as a reminder.   

The style may not change much.  But some better players are needed to make Plan A work better.  If the transfer budget is around £5m then whether that is enough to deliver us to the point of being very competitive in the first season with that style is a moot point.    Whether MW has enough money to go get the first choice players he lists that would fit best to that style and materially improve the quality is another matter.   King and the Board's style may be to over-err on the side of financial caution (they might describe it as being prudent) and see what the magic hat can deliver with the minimum spending power they can get away with providing.   It's a difficult balance to get right for MW and for the Board when the Support is looking for 55 at the fastest possible opportunity.