Subbing Zelalem for Shiels

1 hour ago, Briton said:

We went ahead after that.  Got to agree though, that didn't work as Sheils was beyond poor. 

Everything he touches turns to shit, hes been like a man down for too long now. Today he couldn't stay on his feet or gave the ball to Hivs

Zelalem was the best of a bad lot in midfield. That doesn't equate to him being overly decent or him being subbed changing the game. We were off it from the start. They were the better team. They created chances before and after all subs. A wee bit more concerning is consistently conceding goals from free headers at corners 

We do not have a great midfield, and with Holt below par then it is even worse. The midfield has concerned me from day one, and if we do not strengthen there then we will not be successful next season. Hibernian have a better midfield than us, and that was where the game was won. I agree that Zelalem shouldn't have been subbed for Shiels, but the lack of quality in that area meant we have no real options apart from those players starting today. Not getting Eustace was one thing, but pursuing him for so long, and then having no alternatives after not signing him was a mistake. We can blame Kiernan, and Wilson, and yes Kiernan was poor today, but this team lacks a solid midfield and the manager has to get that right.

When Zelalem went off we couldn't keep the ball. I think it's an indication of some of the important and unsung work he often does. 

If some players around him had stepped up, we might have had a chance today. As it was, the likes of McKay and Holt were pretty anonymous.