Priority Signings

Gandhi1872

Although we were terrific last year and won the league, there were still issues. The defence conceded far too many soft goals being split open and losing out at set pieces. And despite having a lot of possession, we missed far too many chances. It was therefore obvious that a number 9 type goalscorer and new defenders were the priority. 

Just watching the game at the moment, it's really unacceptable that we have made nine signings and these issues have not been fixed. 

Agree that we need a quality centre half in there, especially for the bigger games.  I personally don't think we really need another striker at the moment though, we have Waghorn, Miller, Dodoo (still untested) and potentially O'halloran that are all more than capable of getting goals, as well as our midfield and also full backs.  Not been too great today but started to come back into it the last 15-20 mins and let's not forget we are playing an English Premiership side, one who I fancy to actually do reasonably well this season.

Yes improvements are required in the forwards and defence. but it doesn't shock me that a £8.5million striker makes a £220k defender & a 36 year old Defender look like crap. 

There isn't a team in the SPFL bar Celtic that would go toe to toe comfortably with Burnley today. Even celtic would be on the defensive. 

Nothing new has been learned today. We already knew we were needing improvements in the areas I said. This game is more about learning for the team as a whole, such as how to deal with pressure, being on the backfoot and being 2 goals down. 

3 minutes ago, crombie1873 said:

Agree that we need a quality centre half in there, especially for the bigger games.  I personally don't think we really need another striker at the moment though, we have Waghorn, Miller, Dodoo (still untested) and potentially O'halloran that are all more than capable of getting goals, as well as our midfield and also full backs.  Not been too great today but started to come back into it the last 15-20 mins and let's not forget we are playing an English Premiership side, one who I fancy to actually do reasonably well this season.

Yeah possibly. Just from watching the game, my point was more related to saying Miller should not be starting. Love the guy for what he's done but he's 36 and you can see his legs are not the same. Either bring someone else in or play MOH/Dodoo/Forrester/Windass to provide more energy and pace. 

3 minutes ago, crombie1873 said:

Don't kid yourself, they'll be one of the relegation favourites. In saying that we won't play a team as strong, organised & clinical again this season.

1 minute ago, Gandhi1872 said:

Yeah possibly. Just from watching the game, my point was more related to saying Miller should not be starting. Love the guy for what he's done but he's 36 and you can see his legs are not the same. Either bring someone else in or play MOH/Dodoo/Forrester/Windass to provide more energy and pace. 

Agree, I think Miller will more than likely be used in the "bigger" games this season against them and possibly the sheep for his experience, apart from that I'd hope we would go for one of the players you mentioned in Millers place, use him a bit more off the bench etc.

Don't know why this is even being debated today as it's been clear as day for months that our central defence is poor and is by far the biggest priority.

It takes the gloss off what is otherwise an exciting squad. It will be our undoing if Warburton doesn't address it.

19 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Yeah I personally don't buy the need for a striker, we have 3 already. We are desperate for a CB and if we want to sign a better striker on top of that then fine. But make sure we get a quality CB in.

Yeah mentioned it in a different reply. Rather than buy a new striker, just don't think Miller should be starting anymore. 

1 hour ago, crombie1873 said:

Agree totally, Kenny would be better being brought on for the last 10-15 minutes of a game.. - if needed.

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

2 centre halves and a number 9.

The same signings we've needed since the end of last season.

I agree totally with that, the big problem with a natural number 9, is Warburton system isn't set up to play with a natural number 9, when Dodoo came on he only got one pass! and he also plays wide,. Miller is finished, and Waghorn is just too slow and not really a box player either, thankfully we are playing in the SPL, but there has to be concerns especially with the CB's, Hill is not the answer, he might cope with most of the SPL sides but the top teams will find him out.

1 hour ago, Alec87 said:

Don't kid yourself, they'll be one of the relegation favourites. In saying that we won't play a team as strong, organised & clinical again this season.

This. Our weaknesses are obvious but im fairly confident we wont meet a better, more professional team this season. Also, when Warburton's style of play goes wrong it'll go horribly wrong. If and we get beat this season I doubt we'll get beat 0-1. At times it'll go tits up, and with our style of play we should expect that.

Having said all that it in no way makes up for the clusterfuck that is our defence.

18 minutes ago, danger ranger said:

I agree totally with that, the big problem with a natural number 9, is Warburton system isn't set up to play with a natural number 9, when Dodoo came on he only got one pass! and he also plays wide,. Miller is finished, and Waghorn is just too slow and not really a box player either, thankfully we are playing in the SPL, but there has to be concerns especially with the CB's, Hill is not the answer, he might cope with most of the SPL sides but the top teams will find him out.

I don't think we necessarily want/need a traditional number 9. Maybe some do but I think it's not about how this addition would play but rather we just want someone who is clinical and will take a good amount of the chances we create.