All Quiet On The "we Should Play The Youth!" Front

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if we had given youth a chance there would have been no need for us having to go through the route of the play off.

Or maybe if we had given youth a chance we would've dropped even more points and not made the playoffs at all. We'll never know.

Speaks volumes for me though that Aird, who seemed to be one of the names on McCoist's team sheet, has been dropped out of the first team squad altogether. Our youth players just aren't as good as some on here like to think.

I was very disappointed in McCall for throwing on Boyd last night. A slow, unfit striker didn't give us an out ball and invited pressure on ourselves. If we had an energetic and quick player to chase down long balls I think we'd have been in a less frantic state.

I had no problem with Smith coming on. I was slightly despondent at Black's introduction. It was understandable but again invited pressure.

These are the games young boys will learn a lot in. So for me they should be involved.

I thought Boyd did a great job when he came on and probably exactly as he was asked "defend the corners as you are the only player who can jump and header" he had at least 3 or 4 clearing headers at the corners and did well up front..... pressing the defenders.

Bizarre thread - some of us have been calling for youth to be played for three seasons (and longer) - this season especially we have not given youngsters a chance in the first team and it has cost us, they could have had a few seasons of "experience" under their belt by now.

For me the subs last night were disappointing - and the "experienced players" did nothing for us - I don't think anyone would have expected a full starting 11 of youths but surely if we had given some of these young players a bit of game time we could use them at the right time in games rather than subbing all the pace off and inviting pressure.

Murdoch and Clark are both benefitting from time in the team and were among the best players last night, who's to say that if some others had the same opportunities they wouldn't have been a better out ball than boyd for at the end of the game?

It's all if's and buts no one will ever know now if playing youth would have helped us or not. That time is now gone rightly or wrongly. No point dragging it all up again. Just get behind the team now who ever plays. We had a united support last night can we not just keep it going instead of calling people out over something we will never know for sure of.

I thought Boyd did a great job when he came on and probably exactly as he was asked "defend the corners as you are the only player who can jump and header" he had at least 3 or 4 clearing headers at the corners and did well up front..... pressing the defenders.

He did do well defensively, but I disagree eith your pressing the defenders comment. He mostly moved slowly towards them and looked wrecked when he ran on the pitch. Would much rather have had Hardie on the bench tbh.

Put it this way, if we don't have any youth in our team, we'll end up having to buy older players whose sell on value will decrease year by year. We still need to get out youth policy fixed out.

I've actually not seen enough of the youths as they don't really seem to get much of a chance. I saw the youths destroy hertz in a league game and was so encouraged by that went to the cup final last year, but it was totally different as hertz played all their guys that had had first team experience. We still won of course, on penalties, so I'd still be calling for more first team opportunities for the youth in the coming seasons.

most of what we have signed on the books just now are not good enough and will have little sell on value.

difficult to call that imo given the lack of chances most have had and our previous managers reluctance to even have them on the bench etc

Let yerself doon with this thread, Fantana.

How so? for pointing out that the realisation may finally be hitting home - that our youth are not up to scratch and haven't been for years prior even to us entering division 3 through a mixture of poor scouting, management, training, tactics and more.

Yet even with all of that, some on here still spout that they should have been good enough to win DIv 3&2 on their own and should be making up at least 50% of our squad.

Just because we have Auchinhowie doesn't mean that our youths are secretly masterclass, it is a wasted expense as it currently gets used and produces next to nothing for the expenditure..

difficult to call that imo given the lack of chances most have had and our previous managers reluctance to even have them on the bench etc

we haven't had decent youth since the days of McGregor and Hutton being on the books, about ten years we've been down the pisser on decent youth, we didn't suddenly turn poor on this front when we went into Div 3.

How so? for pointing out that the realisation may finally be hitting home - that our youth are not up to scratch and haven't been for years prior even to us entering division 3 through a mixture of poor scouting, management, training, tactics and more.

Yet even with all of that, some on here still spout that they should have been good enough to win DIv 3&2 on their own and should be making up at least 50% of our squad.

Just because we have Auchinhowie doesn't mean that our youths are secretly masterclass, it is a wasted expense as it currently gets used and produces next to nothing for the expenditure..

The time has passed for blooding youth, I was one of the biggest moaners on here with regards to that.

I didn't ask for team full of kids, I expected it though.

We could have played youngsters who would be nowhere near the side this year but with experience under their belt some daft cunt would have been silly enough to buy them. We ignored that system and therefore ignored potential revenue coming into the club.

Delighted to see Murdoch etc in now but the clamber for youth was to save money and make us some.

Now is not the time for that, McCoist fucked it up.

The time has passed for blooding youth, I was one of the biggest moaners on here with regards to that.

We could have played youngsters who would be nowhere near the side this year but with experience under their belt some daft cunt would have been silly enough to buy them. We ignored that system and therefore ignored potential revenue coming into the club.

Delighted to see Murdoch etc in now but the clamber for youth was to save money and make us some.

wasn't just McCoist, you can't polish a turd and that's what we had been signing as youth in Walters days as the money train continued through Ibrox unabated till the banks called the debts in.

we haven't had decent youth since the days of McGregor and Hutton being on the books, about ten years we've been down the pisser on decent youth, we didn't suddenly turn poor on this front when we went into Div 3.

but how do you judge the youth players when they don't get a chance and aren't nurtured?

I can't think of the last manager we had who actually deliberately blooded young players and tried to develop them into first team players, guys like McLeod, Telfer, Wilson were first team prospects but managed incredibly badly

Or maybe if we had given youth a chance we would've dropped even more points and not made the playoffs at all. We'll never know.

Speaks volumes for me though that Aird, who seemed to be one of the names on McCoist's team sheet, has been dropped out of the first team squad altogether. Our youth players just aren't as good as some on here like to think.

We should have given youth a chance when we were in the 3rd division and worked our way through the Leagues. But Ally ended up wasting money on players who were average, plus they were on decent money, along with the absurd wage our manager was on. When you think back to that day at Berwick in the 3rd division, we were lucky to get a draw, and it set the alarm bell ringing for me.

wasn't just McCoist, you can't polish a turd and that's what we had been signing as youth in Walters days as the money train continued through Ibrox unabated till the banks called the debts in.

Aye he's a shitebag, rather than being his own man he copied Walter but he's not as good as him.

I don't think our youth were all that, but good enough to play the poledancers and traffic wardens.

but how do you judge the youth players when they don't get a chance and aren't nurtured?

agreed, but from what we have seen in the drip feeding of them not one has stood out as being of a class that says they should be in the big games like last night and would have made a difference in comparison to the experienced players.

i can guarantee that most would not be up to standard to play week in week out, that's like saying an apprentice sparky will be better than one who's been in the trade for 20 years and won competitions in their trade.

The youth team was outstanding last season and even though a few of them have had it now a lot of those players should have had an opportunity in the first team long before they got one.

It's impossible to predict how any youth team player will develop when they are barely getting them a sniff of first team football.

agreed, but from what we have seen in the drip feeding of them not one has stood out as being of a class that says they should be in the big games like last night and would have made a difference in comparison to the experienced players.

murdoch was playing last night and was miles better than the "experienced" black we signed and kept him out of the team under previous managers

i can guarantee that most would not be up to standard to play week in week out, that's like saying an apprentice sparky will be better than one who's been in the trade for 20 years and won competitions in their trade.

that's a bizarre analogy tbh

Spot on mate.

The youth would have had plenty of experience if McCoist had played them in Div 3 on. I dont think anyone is suggesting we just throw youths into the team. We want them developed for the future, if we had started developing the youths in Div 3 we could have two squads worth of players all with experience in the leagues, but now we've got one mediocre squad with a couple youths thrown in, and the others have fel by the wayside. We've wasted so much talent over the past 3 years.

The youth would have had plenty of experience if McCoist had played them in Div 3 on. I dont think anyone is suggesting we just throw youths into the team. We want them developed for the future, if we had started developing the youths in Div 3 we could have two squads worth of players all with experience in the leagues, but now we've got one mediocre squad with a couple youths thrown in, and the others have fel by the wayside. We've wasted so much talent over the past 3 years.

Spot on.