All Quiet On The "we Should Play The Youth!" Front

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strange that, we get to the final stages of the season and now that it's make or break time the obsessed on here that used to always bleat about "we don't need the older players, the youth could manage this" seem to have shut up.

could it be that their finally seeing that experience is needed to manage these final games and in most cases (not all) - the youth just aren't up to the standard required to play these crunch games?

or will they now come out with their rhetoric that "gallagher should be starting every game" seeing as i'm calling them out?

experience wins you the battles, not the agility of youth.

The manager picks the team not us.

Aye, the experience (of whom some of the big names remain planted to the bench) have served us so well through all this balls-up we have made of the last three years. The very fact that in three years we haven't managed to win the diddy cup of all diddy cups; thank fuck we've had this solid spine to see us through the dark years.

Nobody is saying we should have 11 youth players playing; we must, however, have a much greater reliance on youth. MacLeod and Murdoch have been our best players this year - along side a player whom we don't even own.

Conveniently forgetting it was the inability of said experience which has resulted in us having to go through three fucking play-off ties to attain promotion from the Scottish Championship! Our experience should have walked the second tier of Scottish football, given the wages laid out and standard of opposition.

If people think it's happy days when we go up with the majority of this mob and the likes of them, they are fucking out their tree.

Proofs in the pudding and the pudding is that result against the scum tonight.

why is that the proof

just because our youths lost to the tarriers in the cup doesnt mean to say they wouldnt have been good enough against the dross of this division

our "experienced" pro's have beaten alloa ONCE in 5 games, that is a criminal statistic and one i dont think for a minute that the youths would be able to be as bad as

we didnt ask for a team of 16 year olds, but giving boyd, daly and miller game time when they were clearly fucking shite over guys like Gallagher, or continually playing ian blakc and nicky law when we clearly had andy murdoch in the youths, and watching while a highly rated centre half gets rave reviews while on loan at airdrie, meanwhile we couldnt make a centre half out of zaliukas, jig and moshni

i stand by what i said, in division 3 we could have saved a fortune in wages, bled and continued with younger players, and we wouldnt be any worse off than we are the now, but we'd have saved around 10 million in first team wages

I was very disappointed in McCall for throwing on Boyd last night. A slow, unfit striker didn't give us an out ball and invited pressure on ourselves. If we had an energetic and quick player to chase down long balls I think we'd have been in a less frantic state.

Agree with the fitness aspect but the twice the ball went up to Boyd it stuck and we kept the ball. Also won a crucial header in the box.

I'd have maybe liked another player on too, but for the time he played he didn't do badly IMO

i stand by what i said, in division 3 we could have saved a fortune in wages, bled and continued with younger players, and we wouldnt be any worse off than we are the now, but we'd have saved around 10 million in first team wages

Disagree, our youths have not been good enough. The ones who have some ability have been given a chance. McKay, Perry, Hutton, Crawford, Little (not that young tho). The facts these were the best of the bunch tells us the others would not really have helped get us out the third or fourth tier.

Proof will come with the level these youths play at in years to come. Even if they manage low level second tier does not mean they could have helped us to a great extent... different ball game with expectations at Rangers.

Disagree, our youths have not been good enough. The ones who have some ability have been given a chance. McKay, Perry, Hutton, Crawford, Little (not that young tho). The facts these were the best of the bunch tells us the others would not really have helped get us out the third or fourth tier.

Proof will come with the level these youths play at in years to come. Even if they manage low level second tier does not mean they could have helped us to a great extent... different ball game with expectations at Rangers.

Our first team (all on much greater wages than the majority of the youngsters) have failed us time and time again. People are making it sound like we are moving forward with a strong squad. We haven't even achieved promotion yet.

Of the ones mentioned, Hutton and Little are hardly youths - from over the last three seasons.

Yes, we have some youth who have been absolute mince. For every youth in that category there have been two experienced pros who are as bad or have been worse - Kyle, Sandaza, Cribari. The list is huge.

Many will use tonight's result to justify comments made earlier, however we beat them about a month back when Gallagher scored. Also took a look at the development league top goal scorers and we had hardie on 19 without a single Celtic player in the top 7 scorers that were listed.

The one thing about these development matches is that everything should be taken with a pinch of salt (in both directions), that's why I maintain that until any youth starts regularly for the first team (say at least 5 consecutive starts) that it's very hard to pass judgement on them (again either positively or negatively).

What's certainly true is the play offs are the wrong time (unless injury crisis strikes) to introduce new youth players whether they are made of the right stuff or not.

Our first team (all on much greater wages than the majority of the youngsters) have failed us time and time again. People are making it sound like we are moving forward with a strong squad. We haven't even achieved promotion yet.

Of the ones mentioned, Hutton and Little are hardly youths - from over the last three seasons.

Yes, we have some youth who have been absolute mince. For every youth in that category there have been two experienced pros who are as bad or have been worse - Kyle, Sandaza, Cribari. The list is huge.

Kyle, Sandaza, Cribari etc were terrible buys.

However management fails in the transfer market does not make our poor youth players in recent years any better than they actually are.

IMO the youth were not good enough and our money invested in the above should have been spent on young players from other clubs... Scott Allan for instance.

Charlie Telfer is one player who I agree should have got a shot and wasn't. Can't think of any more.

Kyle, Sandaza, Cribari etc were terrible buys.

However management fails in the transfer market does not make our poor youth players in recent years any better than they actually are.

IMO the youth were not good enough and our money invested in the above should have been spent on young players from other clubs... Scott Allan for instance.

Charlie Telfer is one player who I agree should have got a shot and wasn't. Can't think of any more.

I agree, however, as has been said, we could hardly be in a worse position than we are now, should we have given some of them more of a chance. We'd also have saved a fortune in wages we have managed to piss down the drain. Walsh looks a tidy player and there are other examples, Telfer for one, who should have been getting game time (particularly when we had the second division sewn up) instead of the McCoist un-droppable crew who have regularly struggled to beat part time teams who having worked a shift the same day.

There is simply no excuse, Gallagher for example; given a run in the team, does well, goes out on loan, and then drops off the face as we continue to play the likes of Boyd who couldn't hit a barn door and is in disgusting shape for a supposed professional athlete.

Continuing to play Daly instead of any number of younger options when – as we now know – he was struggling with his knees going from under him; nobody is telling me that is right for the future of Rangers. McCoist thought it would look good on his CV to go through a season undefeated; to off-set some of the worst football I have ever seen in all my years following Rangers, that against plumbers and plod no less.

But, but, but! If Ally had played all these youths when we were in Division 3 they would all be brilliant by now! Fuck the trophy cabinet might even have a few Golden Boots and Ballon D'ors sitting in it.

Unfortunately, back in the real world, you need to show potential before you get a game in the first team. Not be given games in the first team until you start to show potential.

If any more proof was needed that these boys, who many on here seem to view as our next great hopes, aren't up to scratch then last nights result was it.

I don't think any Rangers fan thinks for one moment that we will be able to turn out a team solely made up of Rangers developed players.As Dave King has said himself Murray Park has been a huge disappointment and has not returned as far as the investment put in was concerned but its going to play a critical part in the rebuilding of the club.If the players are not there then the Rangers board have to look at the coaching and development team at Murray Park and ask the question WHY are there not young players ready to come through or as in the past have these players been there and still there but never given a chance and a real chance not 1or 2 games.We are quick to judge young men on fleeting moments in the first team but seem to overlook so called experienced senior players playing shit week in week out.A senior squad of players who cant even beat the likes of Alloa in some shit cup and being 2 nil up at the time.